So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HarrowInnHammer

Re: So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

The bubble machines are pretty ****, americanised rubbish. Getting that £1 fish geezer to perform was even worse, what's he got to do with West Ham. At least the owners are proper West Ham and get us though eh!
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

All young children love the bubbles, they are the support of the future so leave the machines well alone...
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Report on BBC London TV tonight that concerts to be held in stadium in the summer (moved from Hyde Park). Concert people think it's a great music venue and legacy bloke said 'if we can't do deal with West Ham', implying I thought more concerts and they can do without us.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

brownout wrote:Report on BBC London TV tonight that concerts to be held in stadium in the summer (moved from Hyde Park). Concert people think it's a great music venue and legacy bloke said 'if we can't do deal with West Ham', implying I thought more concerts and they can do without us.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20891527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decision on West Ham end of March - that's back 2 months from what was said early |December.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Is it true that there are no escalators to the upper tier ?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

brownout wrote:Report on BBC London TV tonight that concerts to be held in stadium in the summer (moved from Hyde Park). Concert people think it's a great music venue and legacy bloke said 'if we can't do deal with West Ham', implying I thought more concerts and they can do without us.
Fingers crossed. I hope the OS makes a lovely concert venue. :thup:
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Decision on West Ham end of March - that's back 2 months from what was said early |December.[/quote]
How very convenient would it be if the decision managed to get delayed until may, no pesky demonstrations at matches for Brady to worry about and a great ready made excuse not to poll match day attending fans!!
Dagdave

Post by Dagdave »

Rasp wrote:All young children love the bubbles, they are the support of the future so leave the machines well alone...
I agee the bubble machines are great .Its just another one of those things that make west ham special .and and endear us to football fans up and down the country .How many other clubs have these querky traditions that people love .I can remember one fa cup game inthe 60s when the ground was a wash with bubbles being blown from those little tins .It was against Everton and I remember theEverton toffee lady coming out and throwing sweets to the everton fans .That was also a great tradition ..Dont think they do that anymore probably health and safety .Maybe someone got one in the eye
Just look how boring and sterile most other clubs are
.For me, the more bubble machines the better .Lets not loose our traditions.but enhance them
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Rocketron wrote:Is it true that there are no escalators to the upper tier ?

Correct

The entrance to the upper tier isn't far off ground level as the lower tier is below ground, but it is a big climb up to the top of the upper tier
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Makes financial sense for the tax payer, no need to spend £200m on converting the place for football.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:The bubble machines are pretty ****, americanised rubbish.
Out of interest, which American sports team or event uses a Bubble Machine? :think:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

There are some lifts. Maybe they'll add escalators too.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:Out of interest, which American sports team or event uses a Bubble Machine? :think:
Not specifically the bubble machines but the idea of a club generated spetacle after we score rather than it coming raw from the crowd.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:
Not specifically the bubble machines but the idea of a club generated spetacle after we score rather than it coming raw from the crowd.
:o

Must admit I hadn't even noticed them using the machines after a goal. I thought they were only utilised prior to kick-offs when the players are coming out?

At least we don't use music after a goal. I recall on a recent interview Jeremy Nicholas very clearly stated how much he is against that!
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

The bubble machine goes off when we score, if they remember to do it.

Got nothing against that - will echo others comments about not wanting music after goals. The amount of grief we gave Reading for plugging that darts tune when they score.

Looking at this thread, bubbles seems to get the thumbs up from the majority :thup:
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

Although I've not been in that part of the OS there are some escalators in some parts of stadium (confirmed in picture in Christmas present received about 2012 Olympic Park architecture). However, I went to athletics during games and was sat in upper tier. I would guess the trek was less than half that to the top of the West Stand.

The concerts are a red herring. They were always going to happen and anyway just how many free days will there be during the summer when athletics will want their access? A major winter sport played there on a regular basis is the only way to ensure a return in the longer term.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

At the opening ceremony they were only letting the elderly and disabled use the lift where we were. It had broken down by the time I went for a beer.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

Going back a page or two to comment PP's point......what did Sullivan say in his programme notes? Haven't bought that in donkeys
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

2 things Mr Sullivan said:
Your patience over the last 3 years has been exceptional and we will repay that by making sure your voices are all heard as we begin the detailed consultation period
That will give us 10 sell outs in a row, which shows how excited our fans are feeling about supporting West Ham United at the moment and also why we need to move to a bigger stadium
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

10 sell outs in a row? Who does he think he's kidding?

We can see the empty seats and thats with an unprecedented array of advertising, promotions and special offers.