So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Re: So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

Post by Heysel76 »

Denbighammer wrote:10 sell outs in a row? Who does he think he's kidding?

We can see the empty seats and thats with an unprecedented array of advertising, promotions and special offers.
I've got to say, apart from the Norwich KFAQ match, i've not seen many empty seats in the Alpari Lower.
The seats i did see empty were mainly hung over season ticket holder's seats!
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The empty seats are usually in the Rio upper aren't they?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

We can see the empty seats and thats with an unprecedented array of advertising, promotions and special offers.
Kidding the LLDC,

Southampton, Everton, Norwich, Swansea all Kids for a £1

QPR half price members,

Sunderland and QPR Free for youth members

Stoke £20-£25 for all,
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

:idea:

Must move to a ground with half-decent transport links so we don't face this problem again..
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Yeah, it's criminal that anyone should try and sell anything off the back of an advertising campaign, or a promotional scheme. We should just carry on leaving those unsold seats as a reminder of how traditional we are !
I've heard both Spurs and Chelsea advertising in recent years and trying promotional schemes.
In fact. the spurs match bundle promotional scheme led to fans that went in for the promotion being automatically placed on a season ticket waiting list.
It's modern business, god forbid we ever attempt it eh !
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Rays Rock wrote:Yeah, it's criminal that anyone should try and sell anything off the back of an advertising campaign, or a promotional scheme. We should just carry on leaving those unsold seats as a reminder of how traditional we are !
I've heard both Spurs and Chelsea advertising in recent years and trying promotional schemes.
In fact. the spurs match bundle promotional scheme led to fans that went in for the promotion being automatically placed on a season ticket waiting list.
It's modern business, god forbid we ever attempt it eh !
Our promotional policy is obviously essential as we struggle to fill our ground and its good that we are trying to run the club as a modern business I'm not disputing that in any way.

However, with statements like that the board are trying to make out that we have paying punters desperately beating down the door to get in.

That clearly is not the case as we have to offer a wide range of promotions just to get 35,000 in and even then there are still c.500-1000 empty seats per match, whatever the publically announced figure is.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Denbighammer wrote: Our promotional policy is obviously essential as we struggle to fill our ground and its good that we are trying to run the club as a modern business I'm not disputing that in any way.

However, with statements like that the board are trying to make out that we have paying punters desperately beating down the door to get in.

That clearly is not the case as we have to offer a wide range of promotions just to get 35,000 in and even then there are still c.500-1000 empty seats per match, whatever the publically announced figure is.
My other point was that, both Spurs and Chelsea want to have bigger grounds at the similar capacity to the OS but have used similar tactics to sell unsold seats. Spurs estimating their projected attence levels upon a spurious season ticket waiting list.

The one abiding phrase I can always remember when growing up from all West Ham fans was " if only we could fulfil our potential, there are loads of fans in Essex that the club don't reach out to etc etc..."
Well, the club are trying to make inroads to that potential, and the reaction from some, is to either criticise or **** yourself at the prospect. We've never had the ambition to grow in the past, it's not going to happen overnight, we won't instantly be rich, we won't instantly win anything, all it does is give us the opportunity to grow healthily.
In the same way that Arsenal may on the surface of it, looked to have taken one step backward on the pitch, the club has undoubtedly grown off the pitch which will push it two steps forward in the long term future.

You have to aspire to achieve, otherwise no one is going to hand it to you on a plate.. I would rather do it the Organic way than become a novelty Football Club like Chelsea FC.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

'Your patience over the last 3 years has been exceptional and we will repay that by making sure your voices are all heard as we begin the detailed consultation period...

That will give us 10 sell outs in a row, which shows how excited our fans are feeling about supporting West Ham United at the moment and also why we need to move to a bigger stadium'.

Ah Pravda again.

Anyone know when this 'detailed consultation period' begins? No plans disclosed yet and contracts due signature in March. Suppose we have to wait until the SAB are summonsed again for their next presentation of what's already been agreed.

In the scheme of things I probably believe property developers marginally less than lawyers, journos and Andrew Mitchell.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

Sullivan has more spin that Alistair Campbell.....what they both have in common is they are not very good at it.

We may well need to move to a bigger stadium. The point that's missing is how much you allow the lifeblood to be shafted to accommodate it.

As much as they try, it will become obvious to all what percentage of fans are against the move. Even if the plans are released in a reasonable time, I would put this percentage as significant, at least 30%, if not more. If only they would release said plans and conduct a poll, all this debate could be put to one side.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

the pink palermo wrote:I find it surreal Bubbles machines are discussed at all .A great tactic to keep the agenda off of the important stuff .
As I understand it this was a recommendation of the Match Day Focus Group sub-committee, The important stuff was being discussed elsewhere by the other focus groups, was it not?
manstev
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by manstev »

Most of this discussion is based around our opinions as of today.

I've always thought that the opportunity to move into the OS is being taken, not for immediate results, but purely to grasp the opportunity of a lifetime, that, should we not take it, will probably mean we will be forever a second tier club.

What I mean by that is: fast forward 20 years and imagine where our current day competitors will be playing their football. New grounds for: Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea, Fulham re-developed, etc, etc Look back 20 years and see how the game has changed, look ahead 20 and imagine the changes, finance etc.

Without significant investment we will never be able to move, location wise its so difficult and expensive to move anywhere near where we belong. Right or wrong, the move may be the only way we can place ourselves in a larger capacity, great infrastructure, low maintenance, great potential and forward thinking stadium.

I appreciate there will be many sacrifices for many fans, sadly that is always the case with change. (Example A : The Emirates) but long term (and I mean 10 years +) it may just be our best option.

Its not really for us, its for our kids and their kids to be able to still see us playing at the top level for many many years to come. Both my little kids have been to the Boleyn and for that I am truly grateful, but they have no emotional ties there, their future lies wherever WH play,
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

manstev wrote:Right or wrong, the move may be the only way we can place ourselves in a larger capacity, great infrastructure, low maintenance, great potential and forward thinking stadium.
How do you know it will be 'low maintenance'?
Please tell me how the arena is a 'forward thinking stadium'.
Also, as you demand a larger capacity - do you think 54,000 will be enough?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Doc H Ball wrote:'Your patience over the last 3 years has been exceptional and we will repay that by making sure your voices are all heard as we begin the detailed consultation period...

That will give us 10 sell outs in a row, which shows how excited our fans are feeling about supporting West Ham United at the moment and also why we need to move to a bigger stadium'.

Ah Pravda again.

Anyone know when this 'detailed consultation period' begins? No plans disclosed yet and contracts due signature in March. Suppose we have to wait until the SAB are summonsed again for their next presentation of what's already been agreed.

In the scheme of things I probably believe property developers marginally less than lawyers, journos and Andrew Mitchell.
The sell outs give them something to go back to the LLDC with, although they may not mention the fact that almost every game other than the big ones have had reduced prices in some way or another.

Still £20 a seat at OS will fill it for most games, as long as we're PL.
manstev
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by manstev »

Denbighammer wrote: How do you know it will be 'low maintenance'?
Please tell me how the arena is a 'forward thinking stadium'.
Also, as you demand a larger capacity - do you think 54,000 will be enough?
Low maintenance - Because it was built last year, with last years technology and to last years standards. Hence it will be considerably less of an ongoing maintenance risk than our current home.

Forward thinking - for the same reasons as above the stadium will be able to be evolve in the future. It is forward thinking, it is and will be (post conversion) capable of being a fit for purpose stadium for many decades. (I am talking purely in a construction sense)

Demanding a larger capacity - I haven't said this. But anyway, who knows. My point is that 54k may be too much, may not be enough, may be just right. No one knows, no-one. Thats a straightforward fact. To have the option may be better than to not have the option.
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

Pop Robson wrote: The sell outs give them something to go back to the LLDC with, although they may not mention the fact that almost every game other than the big ones have had reduced prices in some way or another.
Still £20 a seat at OS will fill it for most games, as long as we're PL.
The way the deal appears to be being structured, the LLDC won't care how WHUFC fill it as long as they do.
The rental fee appears to be fixed, with the LLDC's variable revenue coming from a share of catering (and naming rights).

If that is the case, the LLDC wouldn't care if WHUFC gave away 54,000 freebies
as they'd presumably have more disposable income to spend on food/beverages.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

manstev wrote:Low maintenance - Because it was built last year, with last years technology and to last years standards. Hence it will be considerably less of an ongoing maintenance risk than our current home.
The stadium was constructed to last as a single tier athletics venue, the roof wasn't even designed to last a winter. It was specifically designed not to be suitable for football and will need major renovations which nobody wants to pay for. Not sure how you know that the maintenance bill will drop?
manstev wrote: Forward thinking - for the same reasons as above the stadium will be able to be evolve in the future. It is forward thinking, it is and will be (post conversion) capable of being a fit for purpose stadium for many decades. (I am talking purely in a construction sense)
You hope it will be a fit for purpose stadium. Some members of the SAB, who have actually seen the plans beg to differ. I'm not sure how the stadium will 'evolve into the future', it requires temporary seats and always will do unless we rip it down and start again.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Denbighammer wrote: That clearly is not the case as we have to offer a wide range of promotions just to get 35,000 in and even then there are still c.500-1000 empty seats per match, whatever the publically announced figure is.

How many of these sell out games have you attended to be able to say they haven't sold out?

How did you come to your 500-1000 empty seats per game figure?
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

beckton wrote: How many of these sell out games have you attended to be able to say they haven't sold out?

How did you come to your 500-1000 empty seats per game figure?
I haven't attened any of them. I've seen them all on telly though (live) and when the camera pans around, empty seats are there for all to see.

My parents are STH in the BML. There are two seats in their row and two in the row in front that used to have STH in them and have been largely empty for every match this season except the big ones. My old man reckons that there are usually at least 200-400 empties in the West Upper for all but the most attractive matches.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Denbighammer wrote: I haven't attened any of them. I've seen them all on telly though (live) and when the camera pans around, empty seats are there for all to see.

So your 500-1000 empty seats at sold out games was just a made up figure.

You don't know if those empty seats you see on tv are because someone has popped to the toilet, is having a beer at the bar or is stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident on the A13.

It's a pretty bold claim for you to say the club is lying about games being sold out on such flimsy evidence. Matches are being called sell outs days before kick off.

I can't imagine the club turning away a pound note but ......it could be all part of the conspiracy.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

beckton wrote:So your 500-1000 empty seats at sold out games was just a made up figure.

You don't know if those empty seats you see on tv are because someone has popped to the toilet, is having a beer at the bar or is stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident on the A13.

It's a pretty bold claim for you to say the club is lying about games being sold out on such flimsy evidence. Matches are being called sell outs days before kick off.

I can't imagine the club turning away a pound note but ......it could be all part of the conspiracy.
500-1000 is clearly an estimation. I don't see how the testimony of people who were there and what I've seen with my own eyes is 'flmisy evidence'. I was merely adding the 2-400 that my old man can definately see in the West Upper with the numerous empties I can see in the lower tiers of the East and BML. I think 500-1000 is a fair ballpark figure on average, not every match. You honestly believe every seat has been taken for all the games the board have claimed?

Our last Prem attendances =
Arsenal 34,974
Southampton 34,925
Man City 35,005
Chelsea 35,005
Everton 35,005
Norwich 35,005

Even if they are counting all our fans before they've come in the gate it seems odd that Man City, Chelsea, Everton and Norwich all had exactly the same allocations and all sold exactly the same number of tickets.