Olympic Stadium Planning Application Documents

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Planning Application Documents

Post by Denbighammer »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Also, and this won't be popular, but if you live hours and hours away from the club then your journey is something you'll have to put up with.
Agreed.
NorthBankAlliance wrote: Seen people, not on here, moaning about 5/6 hour round journeys, in that case support your local team!
Far too simplistic. So, someone who goes regularly for 20-odd years moves away from the area they are just supposed to start supporting someone else? It quite clearly doesn't work like that.

Fwiw, if your journey to the Boleyn is 5 hours each way, 20mins queuing at the end makes bugger all difference in the grand scheme of things. It adds just over 3% of your day.

Besides, anyone who can't spare 20mins to queue at the end has far too important and busy life and shouldn't be messing about with football anyway!
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Obviously if people move away that's there choice which is fair enough, but don't then moan about the travel time, everyone has there own choices to make!

I don't understand the massive rush to get home straight away tbh, but different mentalities and all that!
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

Loads of people have moved away but are still whu through and through. However, the numbers of people who leave early is frankly bizarre.

On Saturday, I may be wrong but wasn't aware of any transport probs yet half the ground left early. I know some people will have their reasons, especially those with long journeys or dustbin lids but it is embarrassing. The team deserved applause at the end for the win.

Off topic I know but the curse of the modern day football fan who I fear will be the dominant culture at the compromise of a stadium to which we are moving
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Win, lose or draw people leave early!
We've lost our passion!
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Obviously if people move away that's there choice which is fair enough, but don't then moan about the travel time, everyone has there own choices to make!

I don't understand the massive rush to get home straight away tbh, but different mentalities and all that!
I agree with you and have been saying it for ages. A lot of people want to leave the Boleyn to save themselves a couple of hours waiting for a train over the course of a season!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Knighter10WHU wrote: The walk from the OS to Stratford Station is not as far as the current 20 minute walk from the BG to Plaistow station. Also surely the queues will not be as bad at Stratford...
I keep reading this when for the past 40 years I have walked for 15/20 minutes to East Ham, never queued and been able to get in half empty trains going either way.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Aye - its a problem that only began to exist after the OS got placed on the club's agenda.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

If giving up a good view at a not too bad a price means I'm getting home in time for Ant and Decs Saturday night take away I'm all in favor of the move, doubles all round :thup:
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

A lot of people are getting excited about 'The Kop' along the sides and that it could potentially where the atmosphere could be generated from. However the noise is traditionally generated from 'the cheap seats', which will probably be behind the goal and top corners. The seats along the side will be top dollar and therefore attract the same kind of 'sit down' fans as the Alpari currently does, unless the club pulls something surprising out of the hat regarding pricing & standing tolerance for this area.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

All the seats along the sides lower will be either corporate area, directors box, band 1 and band 2 seating, i still believe that their will be a family seating area behind one goal as we have at upton park and away support behind the other goal as we have now, if you want to generate an atmosphere from the cheap seats unfortunatly i think this will have to come from the upper tiers.As for the walking distances i have been going to west ham since the mid sixties and have never had a problem, i walk to east ham as do others in 20 mins, this is about the same time it will take from some areas of the o.s to stratford station.Saying people who move away to nicer areas to better their lives should support their local teams is a nonsense, there would be half empty stadium in that case.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

e10hammer wrote:All the seats along the sides lower will be either corporate area, directors box, band 1 and band 2 seating, i still believe that their will be a family seating area behind one goal as we have at upton park and away support behind the other goal as we have now, if you want to generate an atmosphere from the cheap seats unfortunatly i think this will have to come from the upper tiers.
In a nutshell why some of us were suspicious about the OS and wanted more info before saying yes or no. At the moment we have a great view in the BML or TBL and will in all likelihood have to either pay more or accept an inferiior view. But it is ok because some people who don't attend now will allegedly have a shorter walk for the once in every five years visit ;)

The club must be developing plans for likely price bands which I assume will be shared with the SAB migration commitee at some point.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by James P »

Knighter10WHU wrote:The walk from the OS to Stratford Station is not as far as the current 20 minute walk from the BG to Plaistow station. Also surely the queues will not be as bad at Stratford due to the size of the station (obviously dependant on what service you are using).
But it's not a 30 minute saving is it as you said. I think you can quite comfortable leave your seat on the final whistle at the Boleyn and be in Stratford in 30 minutes if you are capable of a moderately brisk walk to Plaistow. You're gonna be looking at at least 15 minutes from your seat to station at Stratford. So the saving is fairly negligible.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

What's strange is that almost from the moment the board focussed themselves on getting the OS, the police stopped controlling the crowds at Upton Park tube station, causing far less order and more people complaining. Apparently, the club and the police couldn't agree on who pays for the policing but it seems a little strange that it suddenly became such as issue at the very moment the board decided to get us out of the dangerous and badly maintained Boleyn*.

* Club propaganda, may not actually be the case.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Denbighammer wrote:What's strange is that almost from the moment the board focussed themselves on getting the OS, the police stopped controlling the crowds at Upton Park tube station, causing far less order and more people complaining. Apparently, the club and the police couldn't agree on who pays for the policing but it seems a little strange that it suddenly became such as issue at the very moment the board decided to get us out of the dangerous and badly maintained Boleyn*.

* Club propaganda, may not actually be the case.
Didn't a hand full of Stoke fans start some trouble last season. They did get rounded up eventually.

I recall tweeting Gold about keeping away fans in because of trouble and he said that was a police issue, and not an issue for the club.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:Didn't a hand full of Stoke fans start some trouble last season. They did get rounded up eventually.

I recall tweeting Gold about keeping away fans in because of trouble and he said that was a police issue, and not an issue for the club.
Right ok maybe, I'm not sure, what's that got to do with the queues at Upton Park tube station and the reduced policing in the road outside that station roughly coinciding with our effort to get the OS?
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Denbighammer

Personally I don't think it is the job of the police to stop people from queue jumping, which is what the issue came down to as far as I can remember (that and the policing budget being cut by the Government) hence why shortly after the club hired stewards to do this. Where they went after that, I don't know however their disappearance is more down to cost cutting by our board than propaganda I reckon

There is still a huge police presence on match days however this is mainly focused where away fans will meet home fans which is the main source of real disorder as opposed to where the queue is. If there actually was a problem that required the police then police resources would be redirected there.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

WebmasterFF wrote:Denbighammer

Personally I don't think it is the job of the police to stop people from queue jumping, which is what the issue came down to as far as I can remember (that and the policing budget being cut by the Government) hence why shortly after the club hired stewards to do this. Where they went after that, I don't know however their disappearance is more down to cost cutting by our board than propaganda I reckon
Stopping queue jumping might not directly be part of their role but keeping public order is. The last time I went, admittedly a couple of seasons ago, there was lots of pushing and shoving and I was picked clean off my feet as we all crushed into the station. The police were previously stationed in those gaps between the barriers to stop situations just like that.

IMO, its more than a little odd that, when the club starts trying to force a move to the OS, that suddenly our policing bill is too much. It may be a genuine coincidence, it may be because of the police cuts as you say, but peoples 'post-match experience' suddenly suffered exactly at the moment the club were showing a shiny alternative.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Denbighammer wrote: Right ok maybe, I'm not sure, what's that got to do with the queues at Upton Park tube station and the reduced policing in the road outside that station roughly coinciding with our effort to get the OS?
We're talking about policing around Upton Park, or lack of...
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Francoisvander or else wrote:If giving up a good view at a not too bad a price means I'm getting home in time for Ant and Decs Saturday night take away I'm all in favor of the move, doubles all round :thup:
Thought it was excellent last week, good Saturday night family tv
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3032 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Pop Robson wrote:
Thought it was excellent last week, good Saturday night family tv
If that's still on in 3 years time even I may go to the 5.30 kick offs in the bloody athletics stadium .

Ant and bloody Dec . :lol: