Viewing Distances at OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Viewing Distances at OS

Post by hammersk »

For those who are interested, here are the viewing distances
between the touch line and the front row:

main stands
(a) sides (widest) = 22 yds (c20m)
(b) sides (narrowest) = 9 yds (c8m) (note that this is actually a slight diagonal)

behind the goals
(c) ends (widest) = 21 yds (c19m)
(d) ends (narrowest) = 13.5 yds (c12m)

n.b. the yardage measurements are accurate

for comparison, at Arsenal:

(c) & (d) is 13-14yds behind the goal
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Re: Viewing Distances at OS

Post by Rays Rock »

hammersk wrote:For those who are interested, here are the viewing distances
between the touch line and the front row:

main stands
(a) sides (widest) = 22 yds (c20m)
(b) sides (narrowest) = 9 yds (c8m) (note that this is actually a slight diagonal)

behind the goals
(c) ends (widest) = 21 yds (c19m)
(d) ends (narrowest) = 13.5 yds (c12m)

n.b. the yardage measurements are accurate

for comparison, at Arsenal:

(c) & (d) is 13-14yds behind the goal
When you say accurate Hammersk, where did you obtain the figures from ?
I did the same distances this week but in estimation on the running track thread earlier this week, and in the most part it concurs with your measurements above. If your above measurements are accurate it also means that my estimated touch line measurements for the boleyn are also right. Which means that in terms of comparison with the Boleyn and certainly other modern stadia, the gap between the touch line and the OS stand front seats is not at all the gaping chasm that people had been talking about.
Grays

Post by Grays »

How about the gap between the lower tier and upper tier, that will be interesting!
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Grays wrote:How about the gap between the lower tier and upper tier, that will be interesting!
Why?

For me that's a definite issue behind the goals, fortunately I do think it is one that can be ironed out rather effectively and simply over time.
Last edited by Rays Rock on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grays

Post by Grays »

Because the club are trying to hide the fact they exist, must be bad.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Grays wrote:Because the club are trying to hide the fact they exist, must be bad.
They certainly weren't hidden on the releases from the club.
As I said above the ones behind the goals concern me but, I do think that a solution can be found without large scale fuss.
Grays

Post by Grays »

They were covered up in the post conversion images.
As for the mock ups inside the ground, none of the views show the gaps.
No chance they will amend the plans to remove the screens and have seating in the gaps behind the goals, who would pay for that and how could you justify adding to the capacity?
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

Rays

I used a blueprint and measured the distances.

There was no scale printed on it, but when I plotted the appropriate measurements, using my scale, it correctly identified the running track to be 100m long, the 18yd penalty area, and the 6 yd box.

In terms of what we will get, I think the Stade de France is the closest comparison.
I would also have said the Maracana, but the stands are closer on the side than at the OS.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

hammersk wrote:Rays

There was no scale printed on it, but when I plotted the appropriate measurements, using my scale, it correctly identified the running track to be 100m long, the 18yd penalty area, and the 6 yd box.

In terms of what we will get, I think the Stade de France is the closest comparison.
I would also have said the Maracana, but the stands are closer on the side than at the OS.
The Stade de France lower tier stands are an extra 10 m further away from the goal line than the OS.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

hammersk wrote:Rays

That's good to know, and your measurements can't be argued with really. So what we are looking at is at most is a centre circles distance from the front seats to the pitch side. Which is just outside that of the current east stand and only 4m more than that of the alpari, but with the added bonus that the seats curve in closer to the pitch side making them closer at the final 1/3 of the pitch at both ends.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Grays wrote:No chance they will amend the plans to remove the screens and have seating in the gaps behind the goals, who would pay for that and how could you justify adding to the capacity?
Why ever not ? You would not have to substantially increase the capacity though. To abridge the bridge gaps a small centrally located seating structure of no more than 1000 to 1500 seats sat on the bridge could be enough to break the gap up and create a closer link to the upper and lower tiers. All that need considering is a relocation of the video screens.
Grays

Post by Grays »

Would be a large capacity increase than that to get near the upper tier.
Whose going to pay for this as well?
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Grays wrote:Would be a large capacity increase than that to get near the upper tier.
Whose going to pay for this as well?
I never suggested it needed to get up to the top tier. A small seating section in the middle of the gap behind the lower tier is all that is needed to cut down the space created. You should read responses properly before replying.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

I thought Gavrosh had an e-mail exchange with someone at Popolous who confirmed they weren't bridging any part of the gap at the ends with seats as they would obscure the screens. And that the screens couldn't be re-located to the roof as they would block the view from upper tier seats. I may have interpreted it wrongly though.

As Rays Rock says, I'm sure there is a solution but Popolous don't seem to have found one!
Hope I'm wrong or have out of date info!?!
Grays

Post by Grays »

Personally I don't see what difference a small section added to the back of a lower tier would do...
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

I was under the impression that the upper tier seats behind the goals were being screened off so as to bring the capacity down from 80,000 to 54,000. lots of gaps and empty areas.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Grays wrote:Personally I don't see what difference a small section added to the back of a lower tier would do...
Oh okay, that's good.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3028 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Very good of posters to compare the viewing distances with

The Emirates - Arsenals ground
The Maracana - Some foreign place
Stade de France - Another foreign place

Anywhere but the Boleyn ......
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

the pink palermo wrote:Very good of posters to compare the viewing distances with

What about Wembley..
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

the pink palermo wrote:Very good of posters to compare the viewing distances with

That's right, all new builds will be totally incomparable with most old and redeveloped grounds due to firstly pitch size and secondly and more importantly building regulations and health and safety law requirements.
If we were to build our own new stadium it would be the same as the emirates, etihad, etc....