Away Fans + Day Trippers @ the OS (in the LOWER TIER!!)

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

WestHamIFC

Re: Away Fans + Day Trippers @ the OS (in the LOWER TIER!!)

Post by WestHamIFC »

Mr_Rook wrote:as long as the away fans and day tripper spend money then let them come i genuinely dont care about day trippers, look at day trippers for Chelsea, arsenal and Man United its due to these that they have such decent income from kit purchases etc....
I'm not Anti-Tourist or advocating a blanket ban on them. After all many years ago I myself attended a La Liga fixture, Barcelona v Real Madrid, and earlier that day I took in a guided tour of the Nou Camp. So I'd be a massive hypocrite if I objected to tourist presence at West Ham games.

And I agree - if Chelski, Man Utd, etc are benefiting from their cash, why shouldn't we? Better still if they go home converted West Ham fans, wearing a West Ham shirt, decide to learn about our history, decide to find out about the significance of that statue in Champions Place, about our working class Docker roots, about Bobby Moore, about Billy Bonds, about the 'White Horse' final, trying to work out what the **** the 'West Ham Way' is :lol:, and learning the words to Bubbles in a far flung corner of our planet then to me that's not a bad thing.

However what I don't expect, and did not expect when I got a ticket for that Barcelona game back then, was that any tourist should get a choice of seat location ahead of any Season Ticket Holder, Member or loyal fan. The tourist gets what is leftover. And they pay for what's leftover.

And if that cash they pay in some small way helps us invest in, and maybe actually helps us keep, the next generation of Rio Ferdinand's, Joe Cole's, Glenn Johnson's and Michael Carrick's instead of having to sell them on before they reach the reach the age of 21, then keep 'em coming!

Just as that £80 I paid for that Barcelona match over a decade ago helped pay for the tiniest fraction of Ronaldinho's wages as he demolished a David Beckham and Michael Owen featured Real Madrid that day.

Only keep them where they belong - at the back of the queue.
Last edited by -DL- on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The swear filter blanks out the entire F word for a reason. Please refrain from bypassing it. Thank you.
Mr_Rook

Post by Mr_Rook »

mywhufc yes football is totally about money, we have the look at every way to maximize our income especially in the days of FFP and even more so with us looking towards Europa and champions league football.

Like it or not we are in a day and age where money is whats important to be a successful in the premier league.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Mr_Rook wrote:as long as the away fans and day tripper spend money then let them come i genuinely dont care about day trippers, look at day trippers for Chelsea, arsenal and Man United its due to these that they have such decent income from kit purchases etc....
Trouble is mr rook they may buy the shirt when they come to the ground but thats not going to make you a lot of money. Man utd, Chelsea and the like win things and get media coverage globally.Therefore they sell shed loads of shirts all over the world ,vastly more than at the ground and thats where you make money and fiddle the 'what you can spend in the transfer market' limits. They probally sell more shirts on a pre season tour to Malaysia than we could all season at the Olympic stadium.
To sum up.....football tourists should be up in the gods and season ticket holders and real life long fans who can't go every week in the end next to the away supporters...just like it is now.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

It's a quick in the b*llocks for those who create an atmosphere in the TBL not being offered a comparable seat at the OS, next to the away supports and in Band 4...

Called this years ago though when an SAB group was sent to Fulham to check out their neutral end next to the away's.

Once fans of other clubs, who can't get tickets in their away support, know that the whole South End is on general sale they'll being snapping them up in their droves.

Enjoy...

Glad I've told them where to go.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by clawhammer »

But it is far from a neutral end. Must go through members and ST holders before General sale.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Members yes but surely a ST holder would already have a ticket ?
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by clawhammer »

taffhammer wrote:Members yes but surely a ST holder would already have a ticket ?
Aren't STH allowed to buy additional tickets before General Sale?
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Ah i see what you mean.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

There will be thousands of freebies handed out in that end, possibly before members, these ticket holders will not all be west ham supporters.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

I was at an event on Saturday night and got chatting to a couple of Man Utd supporters that live in Chingford. One was a season ticket holder and fed up with the commute to their home games, the parking and trying to get away from the ground afterwards. He rarely manages to get an away ticket to see them, so now he and his mate after going to the rugby and enjoying it have paid their £10 and joined the waiting list.

Their rationale - thinks the views even from the cheap seats are fine, they would get to see every Premier League team, Bilic's style of football is generally pleasing on the eye and the commute is a no-brainer. I asked if they would be supporting the Hammers - they felt that whilst they might start out neutral, that if you're amongst the same people every week you'd relate to them so would probably end up cheering for us whilst at the game - apart from one match a season - but wouldn't call themselves a Hammer.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:It's a quick in the b*llocks for those who create an atmosphere in the TBL not being offered a comparable seat at the OS, next to the away supports and in Band 4...
especially given the few rows of the TBL (CC included) have been making more noise than the entire BML more often than not lately.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Beavis Danzig wrote: especially given the few rows of the TBL (CC included) have been making more noise than the entire BML more often than not lately.
If by "lately" you mean week in, week out, for the past 5 years then I make you right.
UptonPK

Post by UptonPK »

Wembley1966 wrote:I was at an event on Saturday night and got chatting to a couple of Man Utd supporters that live in Chingford. One was a season ticket holder and fed up with the commute to their home games, the parking and trying to get away from the ground afterwards. He rarely manages to get an away ticket to see them, so now he and his mate after going to the rugby and enjoying it have paid their £10 and joined the waiting list.

Their rationale - thinks the views even from the cheap seats are fine, they would get to see every Premier League team, Bilic's style of football is generally pleasing on the eye and the commute is a no-brainer. I asked if they would be supporting the Hammers - they felt that whilst they might start out neutral, that if you're amongst the same people every week you'd relate to them so would probably end up cheering for us whilst at the game - apart from one match a season - but wouldn't call themselves a Hammer.
AKA Half Scarf Twats.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

So I understand the apparent argument for letting Away fans having lower tier seats is a shared concourse. But looking at Payet & Mash's latest seat plan, which Lower concourse are Upper blocks 216 and 217 sharing with??

Surely 216 and 217 should be away fans thus making their lower tier allocation less and so more Lower Tier is given to home fans??

http://s12.postimg.org/cu90r2anh/West_H ... n_v1_4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ I would think it's because 216 will be right next to the corporate boxes/seats. This is an image at the other end but the 256 block and seat layout is the same: