Away Fans + Day Trippers @ the OS (in the LOWER TIER!!)

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Grays

Re: Away Fans @ the OS

Post by Grays »

e10hammer wrote:Where is the away support at old trafford and the emirates, two of the most sought after tickets in the premiership, not in the upper tiers, not sure why but there must be a reason for this.
To do with the logistics of getting the away fans out of the area as quick as possible.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I wonder if we'll pull the same trick as Arsenal and deliberately design the segregation for away fans so that we can't honour the mandatory 15% for away fans in cup games. f*** knows how they're allowed to get away with that given the rule was long in place before the Emirates was designed.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Grays wrote: They 100% will, planning permission shows it...
Are clubs governed where they put the away fans, regardless of planning permission. Several times my brother has been to Old Trafford, they have experimented on moving the away fans in order to generate a better match day experience.

They have also sold match day tickets to generate a singing section.

These are ideas that we should use. We have an idea that the east kop could be the best place for atmosphere and view but if we have all the old boys, families and corporates are in there, then this could well subdue the place. We may well see an experimental phase during the first season.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Grays wrote: To do with the logistics of getting the away fans out of the area as quick as possible.
Easy solution here. Keep the away fans in the ground until the area is cleared. That always used to be the way.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:Easy solution here. Keep the away fans in the ground until the area is cleared. That always used to be the way.
There speaks a man who doesn't do the miles.....

Terrible comment for a football fan to make .
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

the pink palermo wrote: There speaks a man who doesn't do the miles.....

Terrible comment for a football fan to make .
Logical quote pinky!

So what if I don't do the mileage now, I have done my mileage...
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Away fan location will be largely dictated by how the ground can be segregated. A lack of concourse will mean they have to have a certain area or space so they don't mix with the locals...unless the club are planning on a neutral section like at Fulham!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Mr_Andersonn wrote: So what if I don't do the mileage now, I have done my mileage...
And you advocate lock ins ?

Shameful.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

the pink palermo wrote: And you advocate lock ins ?

Shameful.
Firstly, it depends on who the opposition are. If we allow Millwall 8,000 tickets then it would be madness to allow fans to leave at the same time.

If segregation in the stadium or concourse is an issue then I really can't see the problem keeping fans inside for a further 15 - 20 minutes.

Many footy fans mix well and it is not such an issue, but when there is rivalry or bitter rivalry, well for me thats a different story.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:If segregation in the stadium or concourse is an issue then I really can't see the problem keeping fans inside for a further 15 - 20 minutes.
Getting trains home is a pretty big reason. As I live the other end of the country, games @ the Boleyn are more of a trek than a lot of aways for me. If I want to see a 3pm k/off and get home that night I have to leave Upton Park immediately once the final whistle blows to get across town to Euston to get back North.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Denbighammer wrote: Getting trains home is a pretty big reason. As I live the other end of the country, games @ the Boleyn are more of a trek than a lot of aways for me. If I want to see a 3pm k/off and get home that night I have to leave Upton Park immediately once the final whistle blows to get across town to Euston to get back North.
If we are talking away fans with coaches involved then 15 mins matters not.
I take your point on train timetables but how many games these days are not even a 3pm kick off?
Also the queues outside Upton Park station can take atleast 20 mins if you dont get out of the ground straight away.

WIth the new transport links these issues may be addressed at the OS. And rather than letting everyone out at the same time and just congesting Stratford it may be worth staggering it a little by keeping the away fans in for a short while.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Would expect the standard away allocation to be something close to 7.5% of capacity which is around 4,000... An example of where it is most likely to be is the claret section here...

Last edited by sutts07 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

I assume (and this is a total guess) that for Cup games it will be something like the claret section below which will be 15% and just over 8,000...

Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

frankiemac wrote:Away fan location will be largely dictated by how the ground can be segregated. A lack of concourse will mean they have to have a certain area or space so they don't mix with the locals...unless the club are planning on a neutral section like at Fulham!
I think that's a distinct possibility. Amongst other things, it will be where the 100K per season "giveaways" will be housed. It will also be where away fans will unofficially take up extra tickets just as we've done at Fulham
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Interesting pictures above Sutts. I think rather give them a portion of 'the Kop' personally
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Interesting pictures above Sutts. I think rather give them a portion of 'the Kop' personally
I would personally just give them the upper tier behind the goal if it was possible. Start with the middle six blocks and see how many they sell from there.

As others have pointed out, it might not be possible due to segregation issues on the concourse though.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by Rio »

I believe the plan is for the away fans to never come into contact with us at any stage. The club hoping to have police free games as much as possible. However how feasible this is is yet to be seen and the continued lack of plans is frustrating at best.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Rio wrote:I believe the plan is for the away fans to never come into contact with us at any stage. The club hoping to have police free games as much as possible. However how feasible this is is yet to be seen and the continued lack of plans is frustrating at best.
Brady counts the pennies and we have moved from spending £1m a season on policing costs to considerably less in the last couple of seasons .

In fairness it should be the goal for every club to have police free fixtures .

As for the plans .......some of us warned of the dangers of a wait and see approach but we got shouted down
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

So far we have the away fans in the gods, behind the goal lower, behind the goal upper and lower,in a sterile area, in a neutral area and locked in after the game,the fun will really start when we decide where where we will be sitting, still iI am sure we will get some info soon, as the stadium works has begun.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Rio wrote:I believe the plan is for the away fans to never come into contact with us at any stage. The club hoping to have police free games as much as possible. However how feasible this is is yet to be seen and the continued lack of plans is frustrating at best.
What are they going to do? Make a tunnel from each club to the away end?