kids ticket prices

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bender
Total likes: 5 likes

kids ticket prices

Post by bender »

the cheapest ticket for an u16 non member for a cat b match is £27,if your a member its £17(cat a+ will set u back £34/£29 resp)...im mid 40's now,and tho I did go to my first games with my dad (I was 7!!),when I started to go regularly in my early teens in the early eighties I went with mates from school,id imagine many others did the same,and it was cheap...now id think it would be almost impossible to do the same at those prices.ok, a season ticket brings the price down,but your then looking at £240 in a single outlay,and its still over £12 a game....KFAQ/MEMBERS matches reduce the cost for familys going,but if little johnny fancies to go with his mates a few times a year hes frankly going to struggle...I do have issues with ticket pricing in general,its a bloody joke the prices we pay,but ive no choice,im hooked..but the seed was sown back when I was taking a milk crate to stand on in the north bank (snack bar side!!) with my mates,how many of a similar age today don't go now purely due to pricing?the club triumph affordable family football,but what if your dad cant stand footie?maybe this will be addressed at the new ground,i hope so.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Re: kids ticket prices

Post by old fart »

how much do kids get in pocket money these days? or earn from a paper round or similar

I used to get 2 shillings a week pocket money in 1964 and that was enough to get me into the games
bender
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by bender »

west side was about £2,and if two of you squeezed in it was a bit cheaper(!!)...god knows what the real attendences were for some of our matches 30-40 years ago....
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

old fart wrote:how much do kids get in pocket money these days? or earn from a paper round or similar

I used to get 2 shillings a week pocket money in 1964 and that was enough to get me into the games
Certainly not enough to get them into games I can tell you! Even if they live on Green St they still wouldn't be able to afford it.

The price increase on games is laughable, it really is.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

bender wrote:when I started to go regularly in my early teens in the early eighties I went with mates from school,id imagine many others did the same,and it was cheap...now id think it would be almost impossible to do the same at those prices.ok,

Yep - for me a huge reason why the average age of Premier League fans has increased so dramatically in recent years. Not least at West Ham - take a look around you at the next home game!

KFAQ is all very well, but that means having to go with your Dad. Not cool when you're a teenager! Being able to go with your mates used to be half the attraction!

I hope the club seizes the opportunity to address this pricing issue when we move..
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes

Post by likemydreams »

i bought my sons season tickets for the first time last season and again this season £190 each they are 12 and 15 and to be honest its the best money ive ever spent on them ! i go when work permits , but yes individual tickets are very expensive and the working man is being pushed out
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

The prices are too high for youngsters, when i started going on my own with mates back in the early seventies it would have filled me with dread for my dad to tag along, unfortunatly now the kids have lots of differant technical things to spend their money on and we may be too late to win new youngsters, maybe a section in the new stadium for youngsters priced at about a tenner a game, i would rather have west ham supporting kids at games than daytrippers, tourists and community supporters with no affinity to the club.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes

Post by likemydreams »

e10hammer wrote:The prices are too high for youngsters, when i started going on my own with mates back in the early seventies it would have filled me with dread for my dad to tag along, unfortunatly now the kids have lots of differant technical things to spend their money on and we may be too late to win new youngsters, maybe a section in the new stadium for youngsters priced at about a tenner a game, i would rather have west ham supporting kids at games than daytrippers, tourists and community supporters with no affinity to the club.
a junior hammers corner :thup:
Benfleet Pete

Post by Benfleet Pete »

There aren't any corners. The place is round.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

As Pinky has pointed out many times, the club don't want hordes of young men attending games as they were the hooligans of yesteryear.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

likemydreams wrote: a junior hammers corner :thup:
As Brady loves to copy Arsenal, and they have a junior section, I imagine the OS will have one.

My Brother-in-law is an Arsenal STH, when he asked about taking his seven year old son he was told that his son could be seated in the junior section! What sensible dad would send his seven year old off to a section totally out of sight, hoping to find him after the game, rather than keeping his kid with him? A lot of the fun in taking your kids to football is in enjoying the game with them.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: As Brady loves to copy Arsenal, and they have a junior section, I imagine the OS will have one.

My Brother-in-law is an Arsenal STH, when he asked about taking his seven year old son he was told that his son could be seated in the junior section! What sensible dad would send his seven year old off to a section totally out of sight, hoping to find him after the game, rather than keeping his kid with him? A lot of the fun in taking your kids to football is in enjoying the game with them.
Seriously!? That is absolutely laughable. Maybe they should have some kind of playgroup/nursery style sign in and out book so parents can pick their kids up safely after the game? ha. Surely this sort of thing will never catch on?
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

I'm sure Arsenal had this years ago at Highbury. Wasn't the whole of the main stand lower tier to the right of the dug outs purely for kids?