Olympic Park opens Saturday

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Re: Olympic Park opens Saturday

Post by Knighter10WHU »

ooh look who it is wrote:
Like my missus said we can go for dinner after you have finished in there. Oh that's alright then.
That's what the owners want though, not a 'partisan-style' crowd full of middle aged blokes, they want a nice friendly environment that families can go to and enjoy a long day out spending copious amounts of money on sh*t merchandise.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Yep you are right mate.
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

ooh look who it is wrote:I was there yesterday with my kids.

It was nice, kids playing in the water fountain thingy, people climbing up the climbing wall, kids playing in the park, families having picnics. Lovely.

Totally unsuitable for football fans though. I wouldn't want my kids there either when 8000 mancs are passing through.

I sat there looking at it all and actually felt sick at the thought of going to football there.

Like my missus said we can go for dinner after you have finished in there. Oh that's alright then.
I must say I despair with this type of attitude. It harks back to the 1980's and the general approach by the Authorities that you could not give anything decent to football supporters because they would only tear it up and abuse it.

Times have changed. Most people no longer want to get a skin full and have a punch up. I've been watching the team since 63 and I go to watch the football and support my team. But we have to realise times have changed a younger generation of support want more, they want to go as a family and have a good day out with the game while at the core must be more than just the game. This also applies to many people in my age group they want something more than just the game.

At age 60 it never fails to amaze me how many of the people on here seem wedded to the past as football is concerned. I loved that too, but football has changed and we also have to change with it.

Finally, to clear up a couple of misconceptions about the stadium. Firstly, if you have a look at the planning application for the stadium it clearly states that the financial and environmental cost for reducing from 80k capacity to 25k is far more costly that reducing to 60k.

The stadium was full to capacity for both days of the anniversary games last summer.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

hammers1954 wrote: This also applies to many people in my age group they want something more than just the game.

Can you tell me what you and friends want other than a game of football? What are you looking forward to around the Olympic Park? I go to football, well for the football and to have a few beers and catch up with mates.

I don't got to football for a picnic and a splash about under a water fountain or to have a go on a climbing wall. Mind you some of the football played has me climbing the walls so perhaps that's what it's there for.

My old mans mates who still go (occasionally) in their 60s - 80s got no interest in anything other than the match and certainly not interested in climbing walls. Not with their knees and backs anyway.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

The idea of going as a family with my missus, me mam and Aunt Dot to Westfields for a bite, then rollerblading to the stadium for a game that is not at the 'core' of the day and then back for a bit of evening shopping fills me with dread.

Me and my old man have been going for a combined 100 years precisely to avoid that sort of thing.

Looking forward to my away season ticket :thup:

BTW anyone know what happened to the OS Picture thread?
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

BTW anyone know what happened to the OS Picture thread?[/quote]

I think Pinky blew it up!!! :lol:
ooh look who it is

Ha ha he is currently drawing a massive penis over each picture.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

hammers1954 wrote: I must say I despair with this type of attitude. It harks back to the 1980's and the general approach by the Authorities that you could not give anything decent to football supporters because they would only tear it up and abuse it.

Times have changed. Most people no longer want to get a skin full and have a punch up. I've been watching the team since 63 and I go to watch the football and support my team. But we have to realise times have changed a younger generation of support want more, they want to go as a family and have a good day out with the game while at the core must be more than just the game. This also applies to many people in my age group they want something more than just the game.

At age 60 it never fails to amaze me how many of the people on here seem wedded to the past as football is concerned. I loved that too, but football has changed and we also have to change with it.
I like the arrogance of various people that they feel they can belittle other people's opinions and that anyone who isn't keen on the O/S wants to get pissed and have a punch up.

I'm probably like a good number of people in that my girlfriend has no interest in football, one of my work mates is female and goes with her sister as neither husband is interested. My girlfriend is happy to potter round London and meet me afterwards, but not Westfield, my ex girlfriend used to hit Harvey Nics, John Lewis etc and was happy to meet me afterwards. When my kids were younger we went as a family. But all of that doesn't mean that I want to see other people forced to conform to what I want out of the match day - unless someone is trying to play music after goals are scored.

Plenty of people just want to go for the game then go off home, plenty of others want to meet friends or family for a chat before and after, some others will want to leave the wife shopping and meet afterwards; we should be able to accommodate all of them. If my kids were still young I would be delighted with the Olympic Park as somewhere we could go before and after the game.