'Raise the roof'

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Re: 'Raise the roof'

Post by Rays Rock »

When the stadium was originally built for the Olympics, I remember some waffle about the roof design and size being key to not interfering with potential world record times set on the track.
I always felt that sounded odd considering the size of the roof at the birds nest stadium !
The IAAF would have to have seen the design so to decide if it is fit for staging the 2017 World Champs. The design has been out for ages now and the Worlds Champs are still to held there, so the roof has to be legal.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Would be funny though if after throwing 200 million of conversion costs at the OS if the place ended up being unsuitable for football and not quite suitable for athletics...:-)
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Video of how the scaffolding that surrounded the stadium last summer was done. More interesting than it sounds. Somewhat vertigo inducing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOt_TSc ... e=youtu.be
dec7000

Post by dec7000 »

Possibly not the right thread but it could be the roof is causing a few problems. I am hearing the IAAF Diamond League scheduled for the end of July may not be held in the Olympic Stadium due to construction delays. I believe it was always the intention to hold the meeting in the stadium but with the doubts over construction it was not widely made public. Not sure whether Crystal Palce, which faces closure, will be resurrected. Coe and his company have come in for a lot criticism for offering plans for the Crystal Palace park containing no or a very limited athletics facility Registration for tickets starts next week so we may know more then but is anyone aware of potential delays?
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

dec7000 wrote:Possibly not the right thread but it could be the roof is causing a few problems. I am hearing the IAAF Diamond League scheduled for the end of July may not be held in the Olympic Stadium due to construction delays. I believe it was always the intention to hold the meeting in the stadium but with the doubts over construction it was not widely made public. Not sure whether Crystal Palce, which faces closure, will be resurrected. Coe and his company have come in for a lot criticism for offering plans for the Crystal Palace park containing no or a very limited athletics facility Registration for tickets starts next week so we may know more then but is anyone aware of potential delays?
Have a look at the last page of the picture thread.
dec7000

Post by dec7000 »

Thanks Rockerton. Seems to be touch and go with, I guess, priority given to get the stadium ready for the rugby world cup.
dec7000

Post by dec7000 »

Athletics set to return to London venue this year ahead of 50-year deal to stage the sport in the stadium from 2016
Read more at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured ... 45Zuvba.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

Great picture of Mo on many levels. It shows what the inner ring roof will be like and shows just how deep is the covering of the running track.

Seems that with this announcement and the Newhan run finishing in the stadium a week (19 July) before that the construction is, pardon the pun, on track!
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

The amount of weight being entrusted to a suspended roof scares the crap out of me. I'm sure it will be ok in the initial years but what about after the wear and tear of 20/30 years ?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

What wear and tear exactly?

The design will have taken into account any movement, wind loading, snow loading etc.
dal
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by dal »

monkeyhanger wrote:The amount of weight being entrusted to a suspended roof scares the crap out of me. I'm sure it will be ok in the initial years but what about after the wear and tear of 20/30 years ?
that would be the landlords problem
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

monkeyhanger wrote:The amount of weight being entrusted to a suspended roof scares the crap out of me. I'm sure it will be ok in the initial years but what about after the wear and tear of 20/30 years ?
I'm not an engineer by any means, and all I've garnered from structural engineering has been from documentaries.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've seen somewhere that with the all that weight, the structure sort of becomes self supporting, because the weight of the lights pushes down on a part of the structure that then holds it even more securely in to place?

For example, the floodlight in the picture above is being supported at the top, and also at the bottom, whilst at the same time, the floodlight is also giving structural strength to the bottom bit and holding it up. Everything working in tandem as it where with the weight distribution, so like the supports from the lower bit is holding up the top bit, the light is affixed to the top bit and the bottom of the light is then holding up the bottom bit. Something like that anyway.

I may be chatting out my arse, but I'm sure I've seen something like I've described on one of those mega-structure documentaries on National Geographic or Discovery Channel.
Chard

Post by Chard »

Dyer's Leg wrote:For example, the floodlight in the picture above is being supported at the top, and also at the bottom, whilst at the same time, the floodlight is also giving structural strength to the bottom bit and holding it up. Everything working in tandem as it where with the weight distribution, so like the supports from the lower bit is holding up the top bit, the light is affixed to the top bit and the bottom of the light is then holding up the bottom bit. Something like that anyway.
Gotcha. Crystal clear now mate thanks. :wink:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Cheers Dyers.

I was thinking pretty much the same but, as usual on here, couldn't be bothered to type more than a sentence or two.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

It made sense it my head at least :D
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Dyer's Leg wrote:It made sense it my head at least :D
I once worked for a multinational architectural practice. Despite having zero architectural knowledge, (I was an accountant), I always had an interest in football stadiums.

One of the engineers who worked on the new Wimbledon Court One roof helped me understand the concept of various roofing systems. The way I understand the OS roof is to compare it to holding a ruler between two fingers at one end. Even if you grip tightly, there is movement at the other end if pressure is exerted. However if you place a weight on this end, the ruler becomes more stable due to the various forces involved.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

So I was kind of right then. Ish.
dec7000

Post by dec7000 »

With the roof extending over the track will this prohibit T20 cricket being played in the stadium? If cricket is played then I assume the roof would actually encroach over the boundary! Wonder what would happen if a ball hit the roof and was caught? Is it Canterbury where there's a tree inside the boundary and special rules apply?

Of course, the roof may be sufficiently high enough not to be deemed a major problem but on a small ground I can see batsmen regularly hitting balls on to it. I think cricket in the stadium would be great but hope the riif doesn't cause an issue.
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

I think if you could hit a ball onto the roof there would be no doubt it would be a 6 just hope it doesn't danage it mind. Might have to make a local rule that decreed if it bounced back on the field of play inside boundary it couldn't count as a catch but I guess either a 6, 4 or whatever they ran. Interesting question mind.
De Niro
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by De Niro »

A good question. I imagine that if someone were to hit the ball into the underside of the roof then yes that would be a definite six, but what if they were to hit it incredibly high and then it land on top on the roof and within the boundary?

It could definitely deter cricket organisations from using the ground.