Player opinion

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

claretchris
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Player opinion

Post by claretchris »

Interesting to hear a couple of the new players mentioning the move to the new stadium. Like it or not, the Olympic Stadium is going to be draw to potential signings.
JFK

Re: Player opinion

Post by JFK »

Always a checklist for players to mention and it would be very strange if the move didn't come up.

Does it make a player want to come more? I doubt it. Maybe once there and it's a success then different story.

Remember the players are generally briefed by PR bods from the club. As they will be pushing the agenda of the move, badge change etc. That's not a dig at them, just the truth. Same with every other club, actor, musician etc etc.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

JFK wrote:Always a checklist for players to mention and it would be very strange if the move didn't come up.

Does it make a player want to come more? I doubt it. Maybe once there and it's a success then different story.

Remember the players are generally briefed by PR bods from the club. As they will be pushing the agenda of the move, badge change etc. That's not a dig at them, just the truth. Same with every other club, actor, musician etc etc.
Interesting that Sam Byram has cited the OS as one of the key reasons for choosing us over Everton:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ed-me.html

"The Olympic Stadium is a huge factor as well – the thought of playing in front of so many fans in an iconic stadium in London."

Do you reckon that's genuine, or an instruction from the club's PR doctors? :think:
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

WestHamIFC wrote:

Do you reckon that's genuine, or an instruction from the club's PR doctors? :think:
A bit of both, to be honest.

I think a player would be excited to play in a new 55k OS stadium. But i doubt its a defining factor as such. A factor, yes, but not a defining one.

As for players mentioning it in interviews, especially on the site, they are just answering questions posed to them.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

claretchris wrote:Like it or not, the Olympic Stadium is going to be draw to potential signings.
yes, but how much, compared to the money offered?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

WestHamIFC wrote: Interesting that Sam Byram has cited the OS as one of the key reasons for choosing us over Everton:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ed-me.html

"The Olympic Stadium is a huge factor as well – the thought of playing in front of so many fans in an iconic stadium in London."

I can imagine the actual conversation was something along the lines of:

"Sam, would you say the thought of playing in front of 55,000 fans in an iconic stadium in London, like the the Olympic Stadium, was a huge factor in your decision?:

"I guess so"

"Great."