20 minute walk from the station..?!?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

gavrosh

Re: 20 minute walk from the station..?!?

Post by gavrosh »

Romford wrote:I can't see why Stratford, The International, Hackney Wick and Pudding Lane cannot handle 50K passengers before and after the game.

Chuck in those who will always drive....

Plenty of big grounds with lesser links can handle those numbers
Definitely, they can. Look at Wembley. The only real difference is that at Wembley there's a dedicated thoroughfare between the station and the ground, whereas there isnt at Stratford. They could make Montfichet Road a dedicated walkway during game time, but that would mean Westfield losing car access from the south which they'd be none too happy about, hence why that's only being looked at as an option for major concerts. That's also why theyre trying to devise ways by which fans will be directed to other stations. From looking at the computer modelling theyve done, its not worth bothering travelling to and from the stadium directly to stratford anyway.

The bit I dont get is how and why theyve only put in enough services for 58000 when clearly they expect to host events of greater than that.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Romford wrote:I can't see why Stratford, The International, Hackney Wick and Pudding Lane cannot handle 50K passengers before and after the game.

Chuck in those who will always drive....

Plenty of big grounds with lesser links can handle those numbers
Cant see there being too many drivers......where will they park?

Westfield will be full most saturdays and its no longer free.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Gavrosh
It looks like from the plans that mountfitchet rd is the dedicated route back to Stratford station via an holding area at the north ticket entrance, as for arriving by car there will be no drop off points for general public or taxis and no parking within a 30 min walk, those driving to games will face a long walk or still have to use public transport. My fifteen minute walk to plaistow after games at present is beginning to look like a bargain.
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

e10hammer this is exactly what they did during the olympics and kept everyone away from westfield which i imagine is still going to be the priority on match days.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

e10, I was specifically referring to the full closure of Montfitchet road, in which case you dont have to cross bridge 'F10' (the one by the aquatic centre), instead you can go over bridge H05 which is south of the aquatic centre and get straight onto Montfitchet road that way. If you look at the diagrams 1 and 3 of the crowd flow model here, you'll see what I mean:

http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... -36158.pdf

It states "It is proposed to retain the option of using the Bridge H05 route as a contingency plan for all
events in order to mitigate against possible over-demand for Stratford and F10", which would make it far easier to get to Stratford station. It also says that the use of West Ham and Pudding Mill stations will be encouraged.

Interestingly enough on none of those models does it show anyone leaving via the carpenters road, which has now been reopened as a route into the park and will i imagine on matchdays see significant flow into the stadium via the pubs on stratford high street.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

During the olympics i exited the stadium past the aquatics centre went to westfields had a bite to eat and home via stratford station main entrance, the plans say the main entrance will not be available for event crowds, i am not sure how if i choose to go home via westfields.
gavros, what would be your estimate of walking fom stadium to stratford station via carpenters rd and also the walk to west ham station.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

I think 30 minutes to West Ham is reasonable. As for jigging through the Carpenters estate, it all depends whether that southern H04 bridge is open; if not, it'll be difficult if not impossible to do. If it is open, I can imagine 20/25 minutes, as there's a bridge on Jupp road that you can cross and avoid the High Street entirely.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote:The whole queuing outside the station thing has been the biggest load of tosh in this whole propaganda campaign run by the club .

East Ham, Plaistow .....both easy walks, no queues .

The Athletics stadium has multiple transport links, of course it has, but getting into the station and on to the platfrom is a problem at pretty much every stadium .........as anyone who has gone to SDF will testify, or twickers , or wembley .........Stratford won't be any different .

Get used to it .
disagree. Wembley is much better. managed well by the police and station staff.

stratford will be good plus it wont be the only option like others have said you can walk to other stations

unless you go to east ham / plaistow the option is to go in a queue that idiots push in rather than go to the end (causing the queue to take longer than it needs to) and you get barged all the time.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

It takes 20 minutes from my seat in the BML to the platform at East Ham but I very much doubt we'll be on the platform at Stratford within 20 minutes of the final whistle.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Dont go to Stratford, then. Ive just shown various options that may prove much quicker than joining the herd and heading straight to Stratford.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

At the Olympics I used a couple of the available routes from my seat(s) to Stratford and did so every time in under 20 minutes, including after the opening ceremony when everyone left at the same time.

I don't see why it won't be possible after a game.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

I wasn't sure where else to stick this. Just reading a comment on Westhamtillidie's site and someone mentioned you can get a Javelin train from Euston/kings Cross to Stratford International in 7 mins for £4. I know the javelin trains were running during the Olympics but I can't find any info on the above.

The Southeastern highspeed site directs you to book tickets but it comes up as 26 mins for around £9. Is it something that will be made available nearer the time we move does anyone know? Could be very handy for me if so.
abbeyiron

Post by abbeyiron »

Southeast high speed every 15 mins from St Pancras takes 7 mins think it's £7.60 return
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

POP POP POP Robson wrote:I wasn't sure where else to stick this. Just reading a comment on Westhamtillidie's site and someone mentioned you can get a Javelin train from Euston/kings Cross to Stratford International in 7 mins for £4. I know the javelin trains were running during the Olympics but I can't find any info on the above.

The Southeastern highspeed site directs you to book tickets but it comes up as 26 mins for around £9. Is it something that will be made available nearer the time we move does anyone know? Could be very handy for me if so.
That's because you were looking at going from Kings Cross. Do it from St Pancras and it takes 6 minutes. The Underground station is called "King's Cross St. Pancras" but the train stations are 2 separate ones.
POP POP POP Robson

Thanks Wembley1966 I can see it now and you're right it's six minutes.

So I guess they might put an additional fast link between Euston and St Pancras which is what I believe they did during the Olympics.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

POP POP POP Robson wrote:Thanks Wembley1966 I can see it now and you're right it's six minutes.

So I guess they might put an additional fast link between Euston and St Pancras which is what I believe they did during the Olympics.
The only options between Euston and St Pancras are the Victoria Line, a bus or Shanks's pony. Certainly never heard of any rail link between the two, and I've worked at St Pancras since 2007.
There is a connection between the West Coast Main Line and the High Speed 1 line, via the North London Line, but as far as I know it's never been used by a passenger train, mainly because the only trains that have the correct equipment that's compatible with the High Speed signals are the Eurostars and the Javelins.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

abbeyiron wrote:Southeast high speed every 15 mins from St Pancras takes 7 mins think it's £7.60 return
That Javelin train was included with your TravelCard during the Olympics - I can confirm it was fantastic!

And it was SIX minutes Stratford to St Pancras! Fastest train in the UK I believe.

I recall me, my missus, and young lad had tickets for Hockey in the Olympic Park in the morning, and then the Men's Football Final Brazil v Mexico at Wembley the same day in the afternoon. Massive Samba/Sombrero Carnival along Wembley way! The journey took no time at all.

On the way home we ate in a Brazilian Restaurant in Westfield over-looking the Olympic Stadium that evening, they had a huge screen showing Mo Farah win his 2nd Gold.

By the final lap there was a huge crowd outside watching through the restaurant window. Inside everyone was going mental all standing on the tables, cheering, etc. My then 5 year old son was totally bewildered!

A magical end to a truly magical day.. and it all went very smoothly thanks in no small part to that train cutting out the need to spend much time on the tube!
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

WestHamIFC wrote:That Javelin train was included with your TravelCard during the Olympics - I can confirm it was fantastic!
Perhaps the Club might consider doing a deal with TfL/Southeastern to include free/discount travel ticket with the match/season ticket. In Germany a match ticket includes public ground transport from anywhere in Germany for 3 hours before and 3 hours after a game.
POP POP POP Robson

WHU_Del wrote:Certainly never heard of any rail link between the two, and I've worked at St Pancras since 2007.
You might be right. The only reason I mentioned a link was that i remember during the Olympics they had big signs and arrows i.e "This way to Javelin train" at Euston for a Javelin train to Stratford which I assumed you jumped on at Euston (perhaps via St Pancras). Then I saw javelin train from Euston mentioned on the Westhamtillidie site recently.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

It has just been announced that you'll be able to use Oyster/contactless pay-as-you-go between St Pancras and Stratford International from next week:
@BBCTomEdwards
Oyster/c'card fare St Pancras / Stratford: £5.40 peak/£3.80 off peak. Return £10.80/£7.60.
Paper single: £6 return: £12. Online single £4.45