New stadium - Atmosphere. Wheres everyone sitting?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

NorthBankAlliance

Re: New stadium - Atmosphere. Wheres everyone sitting?

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

DD wrote:^^^
Nba

Corner of west lower and upper? Agree that the club messed up by not allowing ST holders in South lower as that is the obvious place but may not be even be Band 4?

When I spoke to the club about that issue, they said it was be because they didn't want to inconvenience bods for cup games
Yeah that's what the club say but it's likely to happen only a few times a year, and as season tickets don't cover cup games it's not really an inconvenience IMO...

I think depending on the bandings people will gravitate towards the away support so yeah corner of the West is probably a fair shout...

Defeats the point of having this all conquering Kop that Brady went on about though...
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Never went Maine Road, before my time, but wasn't the atmosphere there dying on it's arse anyway?

Besides I actually think Man City is alright with that side bit to your right getting involved...

Anyway forgetting them we actually have a fair few who stand and sing at Upton Park, if the OS is decent acoustically as everyone is saying then this move could be alright if the right people get together.

The thing that makes me laugh is the smug bods who post about certain grounds with running tracks having great atmospheres, yet fail to note that the vocal support there have prominent sections.

Lazio and Roma obviously have the Curva Nord and Curva Sud respectively, and they take up the whole of the single tier behind the goals.

Napoli have their Curva A & B both upper tier, but steep with masses of standing.

The upper tiers behind the goal at the OS will be sparsely populated so no point having a section there...

Likewise no season ticket holders will be situated in the South Stand lower tier so can't have it there either...

Hard to really to pick a suitable place at this moment in time, the club have ****ed up not allowing STHs in that South Stand though, means anyone in the TBL atm won't be getting a comparable seat in the slightest.
I've been to games in Italy. Track or no track they make a racket, but they congregate together, there may be seats, but the ultras all stand and it's pretty much I allocated

Yep, am sure Maine road was quieter than it used to be, as is the Boleyn...the point is it's going to get worse
1mcavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by 1mcavennie »

Once at the OS why don't those in the lower tier stand up and those in the upper tier sit down?

The upper tier is much bigger

Would also irritate those in the Boleyn club in the west lower who will have paid £2,600 for the first season - still they can console themselves with a free beer
NorthBankAlliance

1mcavennie wrote:Once at the OS why don't those in the lower tier stand up and those in the upper tier sit down?

The upper tier is much bigger

Would also irritate those in the Boleyn club in the west lower who will have paid £2,600 for the first season - still they can console themselves with a free beer
Because, and this is guess work, the majority of the lower tier will be where the higher bands are located.

These are more often than not those who like to sit...
NorthBankAlliance

frankiemac wrote:I've been to games in Italy. Track or no track they make a racket, but they congregate together, there may be seats, but the ultras all stand and it's pretty much I allocated
Exactly mate, but they have their own prominent sectors, behind the goals normally, and have plenty of influence over the club...

I feel like the support who want to create an atmosphere will be an after thought by the club and that will show week in week out...

I think some are deluding themselves that because the gaff has decent acoustics 54,000 will be on their feet finding their voices...
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

I make you right NBA

What may help is the single tier of seats we will have on one of the sides...such a big group together could make it flow a bit better
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

1mcavennie
As the east side of the stadium will be one single tier if those in the lower areas stand this will cause a domino affect up to the back of the stand, not sure those who choose seats in the upper sections because they like to sit will be too happy.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

frankiemac wrote:I make you right NBA

What may help is the single tier of seats we will have on one of the sides...such a big group together could make it flow a bit better
A big group of band 1 and 2 right in the middle will dilute any atmosphere we could have had.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:I feel like the support who want to create an atmosphere will be an after thought by the club and that will show week in week out...
Really? :think:

Didn't Jack Sullivan ask the fans about the idea of a 'Singing Section' on the encouragement of his Dad, so they could gauge feedback?

Hardly an 'after thought'...
NorthBankAlliance

WestHamIFC wrote:Didn't Jack Sullivan ask the fans about the idea of a 'Singing Section' on the encouragement of his Dad, so they could gauge feedback?

Hardly an 'after thought'...
So asking on twitter, the wrong medium for this sort of thing, and listening to the feedback for all of 5 minutes constitutes properly looking into this then?
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

frankiemac wrote:man city have supposed singing sections...their atmosphere is shocking
I saw on Twitter the other day that Man City home supporters are getting virtually 80-90% of the lower tier (next to away fans) behind the goal at the Etihad from next season onward, partly thanks to the 1894 group. Frustrating that we do not have a similar group at WHU fighting to save our atmosphere tbh.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

frankiemac wrote:man city have supposed singing sections...their atmosphere is shocking
I saw on Twitter the other day that Man City home supporters are getting virtually 80-90% of the lower tier (next to away fans) behind the goal at the Etihad from next season onward, partly thanks to the 1894 group. Frustrating that we do not have a similar group at WHU fighting to save our atmosphere tbh.[/quote]

What happend to the patsie they recruited, the sound comming from him is deafening :?
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

I'll give the OS one season. If the atmosphere is rubbish then I won't renew. Simple

Ever since I first started going from young, having a good ole sing song and roar up just made it for me. Loved it. If that goes, ill just get very bored and basically pissed off, so it'll stop me going
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

one mcavennie wrote:I'll give the OS one season. If the atmosphere is rubbish then I won't renew. Simple

Ever since I first started going from young, having a good ole sing song and roar up just made it for me. Loved it. If that goes, ill just get very bored and basically pissed off, so it'll stop me going
:?

It's been gone for a far few seasons now already, unless I'm missing something..?
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

one mcavennie wrote:I'll give the OS one season. If the atmosphere is rubbish then I won't renew. Simple

You could always join a choir if you feel so passionately about singing? Me, I enjoy watching football live.
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

^^^ what youve enjoyed watching the football we've been playing?? Blimey well we like different things I suppose

Yeah I know the atmosphere at homes games is ****, this is why I'm saying we'll need an atmosphere area/stand. Extremely important I think. This paired with playing well and getting results obviously will fill this new stadium of ours.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

As we know the majority of the atmosphere at Upton park is generated by the lower tier band 4 ticket holders, as lower tier seats at the OS will be much sought after, I cannot see any lower tier seats being band 4 and when you get the appointment to choose your seat it will either be upper tier corners or upper tier behind the goal, if you don't like these seats you will be offered what is left in the higher bands, very difficult then to group together, of course it would alleviate everyone's anxieties if the club was to issue a seating plan with bands and prices. I still cannot after numerous attempts find out where our current band 4 family ticket holders who have very good seats in the Trevor Brooking upper will be relocated, if they are moved to band 4 upper at the OS they will need binoculars, hence the reduction in prices.
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

I saw on Twitter the other day that Man City home supporters are getting virtually 80-90% of the lower tier (next to away fans) behind the goal at the Etihad from next season onward, partly thanks to the 1894 group. Frustrating that we do not have a similar group at WHU fighting to save our atmosphere tbh.

BOYS1991 are committed to preserving and promoting the once famous West Ham United atmosphere and will be doing our upmost to ensure that our last season at the Boleyn Ground and subsequent seasons at the Olympic Stadium are noisy as f**k!
we however cannot do this alone, we are a small group of supporters based in the South Bank and we currently have no idea where we are likely to be placed in the new ground!
we urge supporters to be open to the idea of an official 'singing section' within the new ground because however cringe worthy this label may be we believe that it is the only way to ensure that like minded supporters who wish to stand and sing may be grouped together.
we commend the efforts on this forum of 1mcavenie , NorthBankAlliance & BrownOut and urge them to continue with positive posts to encourage an atmosphere that we all want at West Ham games. while we do not seek to become a plastic ultra movement we believe that the use of flags, banners, tifo & stickers helps to enhance our atmosphere.

you can follow BOYS1991 on twitter @boys1991 and we welcome comments, suggestions, followers and new members.

together we can create an atmosphere that we can be proud of again.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I'm cat 2 and expecting my invite next month. What areas am I likely to be offered? Will I be level with penalty spot from the side I wonder (comparable)
harry monk

Post by harry monk »

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but can't find anything on it... Has anyone heard which ends we'll likely be shooting towards in 1st / 2nd halves at the OS or will we simply have to wait until the first match? I currently sit in the BML and like having us shoot towards me in the 2nd half