Just what is Charlton's beef with us?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

morganwhu

Just what is Charlton's beef with us?

Post by morganwhu »

I really have no time whatsoever for these anorak mugs, firstly they tried to stitch us up with Tevez and now this.

Most of my mates are Charlton because of where I come from and my hatred for them mainly stems from this, one of them sent me this link from their supporters trust website.

http://www.castrust.org/2014/12/south-l ... ying-cafc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- do they have a point?

- are they just bitter and twisted?

- their gates are only 14k anyway, why do they think any of those will deflect to us?

- we offer cheap tickets for kids to certain games now (£1), you do not see hoards of Charlton supporting kids heading to Upton Park

- Charlton are well known for sending coaches and free tickets around Kent, how did Gillingham, Millwall etc. suffer?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: Just what is Charlton's beef with us?

Post by hammers92 »

I live in Gillingham and I can tell you they have had a huge issue with Charlton coming into their area and "stealing" some support. Even running coaches to The Valley from the area a few years back.

They really have no argument to put forward a credible case

I'm sure if they got a stadium paid for by the taxpayer they wouldn't be moaning...
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

hammers92, you're right, it's mainly just envy by the Charlton fans I suppose. They wish the OS had been built in Charlton and they could be in our place now. Being quite the hypocrites in the process having enticed Gillingham fans to come to Charlton games, same as Leyton Orient moved to Leyton without much concern for the effect this might have on the clubs already there...

They haven't got a leg to stand on. The funny thing is how Hearn and Levy actually improved the potential deal for West Ham by making us anchor concessionaire rather than outright owners. I suppose that was not the outcome they had planned. I'll be enjoying watching us prosper while Hearn and Levy may regret their shenanigans against West Ham in the OS every single day for the rest of their lives... :D
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

morganwhu wrote: - do they have a point?

- are they just bitter and twisted?

- their gates are only 14k anyway, why do they think any of those will deflect to us?

- we offer cheap tickets for kids to certain games now (£1), you do not see hoards of Charlton supporting kids heading to Upton Park

- Charlton are well known for sending coaches and free tickets around Kent, how did Gillingham, Millwall etc. suffer?

Just jealousy and envy..... :crest:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

All the clubs that feel at danger by the decision to award us the stadium should have formed a joint campaign and JReview. it would have been more powerful and woul have been taken seriously at the right time
Any individual club gripe now looks weaker and a bit late.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

This 'they are going to steal our fans' malarkey as spouted by Orient and Charlton is b*llocks, because if you'd rather go and watch us at The OS than your own team, then you ain't no fan of that club anyway.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

I think it's more of looking to 20 years time with us giving cheap tickets and them thinking they will have no future fan base. But our tickets won't be cheap so they will be ok.
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

I'd also say: Tough luck! It's always been difficult for London clubs to get their piece of the pie when it comes to attracting new fans as there is such a lot of competition, not just from football clubs but plenty of other sports and events in and around London.

Some fans don't get a choice anyway as they are born or raised into following a certain club. Then there is a group of young football fans who have a choice and as for acquring them as fans it's up to every single club in London to do their best to attract new fans to their club. With the result that some young Londoners will probably choose to support a Manchester or Liverpool club, Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG...
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

hammers92 wrote:I live in Gillingham and I can tell you they have had a huge issue with Charlton coming into their area and "stealing" some support. Even running coaches to The Valley from the area a few years back.

They really have no argument to put forward a credible case

I'm sure if they got a stadium paid for by the taxpayer they wouldn't be moaning...
Precisely, this was when they first got back up in the Premier League. Not just Gillingham though, various places throughout Kent and if i remember rightly those coaches were free
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussio ... o-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some comedy here
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Last edited by -DL- on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incomplete quotes removed
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Last edited by -DL- on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Same reason as the one above
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

ln all seriousness, members of the Charlton supporters trust are labour activists and close to both BBC people and the Labour people on the London assembly. They are using the OS lease issue as a stick to try and get at Boris with, it's all political b*llocks. .
Last edited by Estuary on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

They are acting very smug with their "we're doing this for the taxpayer b*llocks". Their club is up s*** creek right now and they cannot fill their ground and a load of their supporters are very disillusiones at this point, talking about protests, boycotts and whatnot.
Also not all of them agree with this campaign at all. Some rightly they they should focus on their own crisis first and foremost.

It's not as if our move to the OS will result in all potential new football fans coming to West Ham, some will, but there's more to choosing a football team than the price of a ticket.
Some people will support their local sides, no matter what league they are in. Some are only interested in Premier League football. Charlton will always find people following and watching their games.

However, if they continue like their current owner is doing it may be a lot less doing that soon without West Ham and the OS playing much of a part.
djoe

Post by djoe »

That trust should better worry about their own chairman.
Maybe they could ask some Standard de Liege fans about his tactics ...
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Estuary wrote:ln all seriousness, members of the Charlton supporters trust are labour activists and close to both BBC people and the Labour people on the London assembly. They are using the OS lease issue as a stick to try and get at Boris with, it's all political b*llocks. .

And you're telling me if they were Tory and it was Ken Livingstone as Mayor they'd not to the same thing?
Jayhammer

Post by Jayhammer »

The way there where selling seats today there aren't going to many seats left for teams like Charlton to worry
about, we took 17 seats just with our group!