The New 'Trevor Brooking Lower'

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DanT93

The New 'Trevor Brooking Lower'

Post by DanT93 »

So its coming up to that time that all us season ticket holders have been looking forward to where we make our trip to stratford to choose our seats for the first season in the OS.
Anyway i have had my season ticket for the last 5 years in the same seat in the trevor brooking lower purely for the atmosphere factor and i feel that the majority of the singing comes from there.
I am making this thread as to try to work out where the major singing area will be in the OS so i can arrange my seat there.
Feel free to use this thread to discuss where you believe the singing area should be etc.
cockney farmer

Re: The New 'Trevor Brooking Lower'

Post by cockney farmer »

Welcome Dan ..............5
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

I believe most will be going to the Den instead.

hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

The premise of this question demonstrates why the atmosphere at games is worse than when I first started going to West Ham in the 60s. Why does there have to be a 'special' singing area?

All parts of the ground should be singing. Says more about the people who attend games nowadays who either don't sing or can't do so without putting themselves into a ghetto.

Wherever you are just sing when you want!
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

hammers1954 wrote:The premise of this question demonstrates why the atmosphere at games is worse than when I first started going to West Ham in the 60s. Why does there have to be a 'special' singing area?

All parts of the ground should be singing. Says more about the people who attend games nowadays who either don't sing or can't do so without putting themselves into a ghetto.

Wherever you are just sing when you want!
Football was a life back then, I used to go as much to listen to the humour, songs and banter in the chicken run or North Bank as to watch the Game itself much of the time, now it's about that dirty conceptual word 'entertainment' that means different things to diferent people but is always focused on what's on the stage in front of us, money and cost and value for money are prime movers. We used to make our own entertainment no matter what was going on in front of us, it was a break from the mundane life most propel had, but then it was also a cheap experience back then and we had less alternatives so expectations were lower perhaps. Hell sounding like my dad now.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Fact is, we had singing sections back in the day, even if you didn't realise it

Groups of lads, mates from school or from the pub would congregate together on the north, south bank or chicken run...tbey would kick off the banter and the songs...the acoustics back then were something else too, with the lower roofs and the ground was much tighter

People can't congregate anymore and the noise gets completely lost when it does kick off
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

as I have said in posts before concerning this subject the fact that some fans are prepared to explore the possibility of getting all like minded people together at the OS to attempt to create an atmosphere can only be a good thing, Yes we do all remember when all four sides of the Boleyn would sing and chant in unison but those days have sadly gone and as much as I hate to say it responses like 'hammers1954' are unhelpful, yes we are west ham, yes we should all sing, fact is we don't and if the ones that do and wish to carry on doing so are doing their best to arrange a section of the new ground where this can happen then they should be applauded not ridiculed. the idea of a singing section was raised at the SAB I believe and was quickly quashed by the club, then Baby Sullivan tweeted about the possibility of a singing section and was shot to pieces by fans with the exact same ' we should all sing' thios was in fact the only ever thing worth reading that he has ever tweeted!! of course the label 'singing section' is not great and is another step away from what we all loved about football but if it preserves at least some atmosphere and places those likely to sing and chant together rather than spreading them out dotted all over the concrete bowl then BOYS1991 are all for it!

:crest:
leveller

Post by leveller »

There's nothing wrong with talking about a singing area, in fact it's a good thing. To say that it's bad is to completely ignore the massive changes that have occurred with both football and supporting football in the past 25 years. The reality is that there are presently only two areas of Upton Park where the all-seating rule is effectively ignored en masse and an atmosphere as much like the old days as possible is at least attempted to some extent or other. When we move to the OS, nobody knows for sure what these area will be. There is no choice between a terrace ticket or a seat for a start, when there was everyone knew which one to choose for a guaranteed better atmosphere. It's not completely guaranteed that these areas will be the lower tiers behind each goal either, particularly when we continue to be kept in the dark about the ticket pricing structure and the location of away fans has not been officially announced.

Personally if they do put the away fans behind a goal in a lower tier then I plan to get a ticket in the adjacent section if possible providing that its in the cheapest price band as I think that's where most people in the Trevor Brooking Lower at the moment are likely to move to.

But I don't think its really possible to start seriously talking about it until the club announce the full ticket pricing details and the location of away fans.
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

^^^^^^^
Leveller,

2 very good points made. away fans, I've read on here that people want to see the away fans at the new ground stuck up in the gods in some never to be heard corner ala St James' Park and I have stated on those threads that I believe away fans and their ability to be heard is an integral part of generating an atmosphere, I therefore believe that they should be placed behind the goal at one end as per traditional 'home' & 'away' ends. I know this gets up some peoples noses as they believe that this means away fans will have access to cheaper ticket areas than some home fans but as you rightly say this is speculation until the bandings and away fans allocation is FINALLY revealed by the club. one thing is for certain, when this info is finally out there a concerted effort must be made to group like minded noisy partisan fans together to ensure the best chance of creating an atmosphere at this new ground!

just a small ps. BOYS 1991 are planning a showing of support for the introduction of Safe Standing by displaying a banner in the BML / South Bank Lower at the Crystal Palace game, come to row S and give us a hand holding the bloody thing up! you may have seen the banner at Man City the other week and at Oldham on Saturday, well the City Boys have been good enough to loan us the banner and we'll be passing it on to Watford after us.

BOYS 1991

:crest:
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

^^^^^^^

good work on the "Safe Standing" crusade yeoman
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Sorry to piss on your parade chaps but the club have worked hard to make sure there is not another Trevor Brooking Lower.

STHs will not be able to purchase tickets in the whole of the South Stand (around 8000 seats) i.e. the area where the Away Support will be located, so won't be allowed to sit anywhere near them...

Similar to what Fulham done with their neutral section, no STHs allowed in their either.

Remember when the SAB was sent to Fulham to check out their match day experience, now we know why...
DD

Post by DD »

must have missed that NBA. In which case the Club have dropped an absolute b*llock there

Do we definitely know a neutral section is planned? That seems a sure fire way to kill the atmosphere!

Unless of course, everyone buys their season tickets in the West corner on the other side of the aways?
leveller

Post by leveller »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Sorry to piss on your parade chaps but the club have worked hard to make sure there is not another Trevor Brooking Lower.

STHs will not be able to purchase tickets in the whole of the South Stand (around 8000 seats) i.e. the area where the Away Support will be located, so won't be allowed to sit anywhere near them...

Similar to what Fulham done with their neutral section, no STHs allowed in their either.

Remember when the SAB was sent to Fulham to check out their match day experience, now we know why...
Do we have any concrete confirmation that this is true, i.e. where did you hear this? Well out of order if it is true. Also it could possibly result in some of those currently in the TBL and BML being shoved into random parts of the stadium or even forced into higher price bands if there aren't enough tickets in the lower north.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

From the official website:

Season Ticket seats will not be offered in any sections of the new Stadium which will potentially be affected by the allocation of visiting supporters, even for domestic cup games.

So therefore the 8,100 seats that the away support would be entitled to for cup games, mainly based in the South Stand, will not be available for STHs...

So although I sit behind the goal at the moment, next to they away support I won't be allowed this pleasure at the OS...
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

There will be thousands of seats available all over the stadium as is now at upton park in fact more and as a member i will be able to pick and choose where i want to sit including next to the away support, a choice not available to season ticket holders.
stk31

Post by stk31 »

My first post so please be gentle with me.....

I've been looking at the planning application for the OS lodged with Newham Council, amongst the many files is this one http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... -36147.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which shows planned segregation of fans for football matches, I'm assuming the club will adhere to this and it does tie in with what a few people had said about away fans being based behind one of the goals.
leveller

Post by leveller »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:From the official website:
So therefore the 8,100 seats that the away support would be entitled to for cup games, mainly based in the South Stand, will not be available for STHs...

So although I sit behind the goal at the moment, next to they away support I won't be allowed this pleasure at the OS...
Thanks for the confirmation NBA, although not exactly what I wanted to hear obviously. I wonder if they are doing this to keep the rabble apart (as they likely view it) or because they just want to flog as many tickets to away fans as possible, even for league games. Even if they were doing it for the reason of selling as many visitor tickets as possible they could still find somewhere else for them to go.
e10hammer wrote:There will be thousands of seats available all over the stadium as is now at upton park in fact more and as a member i will be able to pick and choose where i want to sit including next to the away support, a choice not available to season ticket holders.
Not sure what point you are trying to make, the point is that the current loudest area of the ground consists solely of ST holders and it is going to be broken up and not reconstructed at the OS.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

You will be offered a seat in a similar place, meaning most people in the STBL will be near each other.
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

From the above transformation doc re the segregated seating....

If the stadium is used for football league, premier league or international matches, then spectators may need to be physically separated into segregation groups. The percentage of seating required for the away supporters will vary from a minimum of 5% for football league, 15% for premier League, and 50% for international matches. In order to allow for away spectators to enter separately and have separate coach drop-off facilities, a new set of stairs and lift are proposed to the southern edge of the podium, connecting to the multi-purpose south parking area. This allows for separate access to, and egress from, the podium in all match modes.

I left off the next bit because it was about the champions league......
:lol:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

It seems as though there are 2 choices for those who want to generate an atmosphere to me. Either behind the 'home goal' or in the Kop side next to the away fans (in between the 50% and 15% lines on that planning document).