Barbarians v Samoa August 29th

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Re: Barbarians v Samoa August 29th

Post by hammer1975 »

Not been to the rugby but am interested in thoughts of any of those that went who have kids. what was the rake like for them to be able to see without standing up on the chair etc?

Also, unless I am missing it, was there supposed to be a 'Kop like' set up on one side of the stadium? Can't seem to see it in any of the photos. What I can see though is loads of new seating in front of the old stuff which suggests purchase of new seats. An odd expense when our club is talking about buying new seats itself for our name and hammers motif to be included......effectively purchasing seats twice after we've been chosen as anchor tenants
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

WestHamIFC wrote: :? I'm amazed/baffled how it took you that long. Less than half of that time for us.

The single bridge by the Aquatics centre funnels the crowds too much and slows your progress considerably. Although this was also hindered by the major construction work going on between the Aquatics Centre and Westfield - that definitely had a major impact. Hopefully that will al be complete by the time we move in.
I've done the same walk on a non-match day and it's very quick.
We were block 213 so left by turnstile C. It's the SW corner and it's probably the farthest point from Stratford. We were 4 adults and three kids, two on shoulders, one in a buggy. Because we were so far away by the time we got to the bridge it was pretty busy and we came to a total stop just after the aquatics centre where we were held in the rain.

I can't remember how long it took us to get across there but then we were held again outside the Cow for a relatively short time. They were trying to push us round the ring road. We walked past the reservation centre on "The Street". When we got to entrance of Westfield, again, they tried to push us across the bridge in the rain and prevent us going into the shopping centre to get to the tube (by this time the kids were wet and miserable) so we dived into m&s and went down to the tube entrance in the LG floor.

Again they tried to filter us out and I saw a miserable march going away from the tube into the rain. At this point I begged the security to take pity on us and they very kindly let us in the tube. One inside the tube they tried to funnel us into another round the house route into a long queue where they were holding people for the central line. By this time it was past 6 o'clock. We managed to dodge this latest pen but saying we had to use the platform lift for the buggy.

When we got to the platform it was rammed but we did get on the first Eastboubd train.

I go with my boy, not sure I've got the heart to do this every week.

Also one of the STH in our group had a bad bike smash a few years back, as a result he walks very slowly with a stick. At the Boleyn he can do the short walk from UP station to the ground fine, after game they let him in at the front of the queue because of his obvious disability.

If he goes to the Black Lion before a game he gets a cab to the ground because that walk is too much for him. I'm not sure what his options will be for next year.
Last edited by Big George on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big George

Post by Big George »

Rio wrote:Also once we settle in, not all the support will be headed towards Stratfordas has been the case for the 'neutral' events. Just as not everyone heads towards Upton Park now.

That's a huge difference in helping crowd management
Hi Rio, at The Boleyn you've got three obvious tubes, scores of buses and several pubs to disapate the post match surge. None of this true at the OS, you will have 50% more punters plus the shoppers. December should be fun. All the Tube, Overground and bus passengers will be heading the sane way.

Pudding Mill Lane will be for away fans, there were signs directing people to West Ham, not sure many will fancy that.

Also loads of people drive and park for free in E13. Parking at Westfield will cost the £9.50 and they put huge traffic management systems in place to make it as unattractive as possible to drive. More passengers for public transport
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

hammer1975 wrote:Not been to the rugby but am interested in thoughts of any of those that went who have kids. what was the rake like for them to be able to see without standing up on the chair etc?

Also, unless I am missing it, was there supposed to be a 'Kop like' set up on one side of the stadium? Can't seem to see it in any of the photos. What I can see though is loads of new seating in front of the old stuff which suggests purchase of new seats. An odd expense when our club is talking about buying new seats itself for our name and hammers motif to be included......effectively purchasing seats twice after we've been chosen as anchor tenants
My little girl couldn't see from her seat and had to sit on my lap throughout. She is dinky though.

Before the game we ate and drank in the Brazilian place in Westfield. It was mobbed, everywhere.

It took us a good 25 min to get onto the train and we left early. Got routed over the bridge out the front of Westfield and straight into station. No option to go anywhere else. Only one platform working it seemed too so just hopped onto first train luckily stopping at Shenfield and was indoors by 5.30.

I wouldn't take the kids to that every other week. Too much aggro plus end up doing fortune in grub and drinks etc.

The view from block 127 behind the goal was ok, quite surprised. Got lots of photos but absolutely no idea how to put them on here.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Cheers guys

Me, my two sons, 7 year old nephew and old man (post double hip op) are band 4 upper sir Trev ST holders so haven't had the call for our appointment yet. Still not sure whether we are going to renew to be honest. On the one hand - we come from North so can get the St Pancras-Stratford which should be quicker but concerned about the rake for my (towards the shorter end of the scale) kids and nephew plus my old man - who gets jostled as it is on the short walk to Upton Park.

So appreciate all the posts on the various OS threads to inform our decision :thup:
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

hammer1975 wrote:Cheers guys

Me, my two sons, 7 year old nephew and old man (post double hip op) are band 4 upper sir Trev ST holders so haven't had the call for our appointment yet. Still not sure whether we are going to renew to be honest. On the one hand - we come from North so can get the St Pancras-Stratford which should be quicker but concerned about the rake for my (towards the shorter end of the scale) kids and nephew plus my old man - who gets jostled as it is on the short walk to Upton Park.

So appreciate all the posts on the various OS threads to inform our decision :thup:
Surely this situation will be resolved within a year?
Cannot believe it will be allowed to continue for ever as it is, and how did it work when 2 times 80000 people (plus tourists) were there for the Olympics every day? 4 times the amount there Saturday....... I think there must be a plan..........
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

hammer1975 wrote:Not been to the rugby but am interested in thoughts of any of those that went who have kids. what was the rake like for them to be able to see without standing up on the chair etc?
The experience I already posted was with 2 kids, both 8 years old. There wasn't anyone sat in front of them however!

In terms of the walk to-&-from Stratford station not a problem at all for them, but maybe we got lucky based on some of the other posts on here!!

What I do know for absolute certain was that it was a billion times more preferable to queuing round the blocks with kids in 'hood' of E13 to get into Upton Park tube!

hammer1975 wrote:Also, unless I am missing it, was there supposed to be a 'Kop like' set up on one side of the stadium?
Yes the East Stand. Looked pretty impressive looking behind us in the Lower Tier of it. But then again from there you don't see the gaps.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

eastsider wrote:Surely this situation will be resolved within a year?
Cannot believe it will be allowed to continue for ever as it is
Exactly.

It's been very clearly stated that there will be a lot of changes between now and next season, so not sure why folks are taking this experience as a permanent ongoing one .. :?
Big George

Post by Big George »

WestHamIFC wrote:
What I do know for absolute certain was that it was a billion times more preferable to queuing round the blocks with kids in 'hood' of E13 to get into Upton Park tube!

I genuinely don't understand why anyone goes to Upton Park tube and queues. i haven't used UP for 15 years. When I was in the east upper I'd walk to East Ham, now in the STBU I walk to Plaistow. Both 15-20 mins walk so far quicker than any OS option.

May I also suggest if you don't like "the hood" our club has been located in for more than a century, you're probably supporting the wrong team, or even sport.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

loads of us went over there on Saturday. I thought the stadium was fantastic. The view from the corner area of the east stand was great, we were in row 17 lower tier. atmosphere was a bit muted, but i think that was down to the many WH fans in there without much interest in the rugby. From a lower tier perspective, loads of toilet facilities, the bars were fairly quick to get served, although given you could have a drink all afternoon and not just half time, that could get interesting.

We left 15 mins early to get to the pub, and drop my daughter at the station so didn't experience any of the issues with being penned etc. However, the walk to the ground from the black bull was about 30 mins...so slow through westfield.
I thought away fans were going to be put in the north end of the stadium, is that correct?? if that's true, the PML DLR won't be any good surely.

on the whole I enjoyed it, but there are clearly issues they will need to resolve...
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

To be clear AMC.

The toilets are plentiful but they are shared between upper and lower tiers on the walkway around the stadium at turnstile level...
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Big George wrote:May I also suggest if you don't like "the hood" our club has been located in for more than a century, you're probably supporting the wrong team, or even sport.
Of course you may suggest it. And of course you'd be talking complete & utter b0||0x since that's not what I said, but I won't deny you your right to freedom of speech.

I might also point out the in the recent years of that century the area has changed hugely in character and demographic, and I know plenty of lifelong hammers who don't like it - but that subsequently absolutely ***k all to do with their right to continue to support the team - and sport(!) - that happens to still be located there!

Likewise may I suggest you take a bit of time to actually read posts on here correctly and engage brain before responding? :think:
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Ouch!

That was a mighty raw nerve you hit there BG.....

Are you a dentist by any chance? :D
Big George

Post by Big George »

WestHamIFC wrote:
Of course you may suggest it. And of course you'd be talking complete & utter b0||0x since that's not what I said, but I won't deny you your right to freedom of speech.

I might also point out the in the recent years of that century the area has changed hugely in character and demographic, and I know plenty of lifelong hammers who don't like it - but that subsequently absolutely ***k all to do with their right to continue to support the team - and sport(!) - that happens to still be located there!

Likewise may I suggest you take a bit of time to actually read posts on here correctly and engage brain before responding? :think:
Not sure you'll be able to hear me up there on your high horse but here goes.

I really don't think there's any need to be aggressive because someone has a different point of view to you.

I didn't say you didn't have the right to support the team, I've always been welcoming to all who support our club. I just wonder why you do if you hate the area so much.

And I won't dwell on your dislike of the "changing demographic" too much.

Finally, I read your posts very carefully but I won't be replying to any more of them.
Big George

Post by Big George »

AlfieG wrote:Ouch!

That was a mighty raw nerve you hit there BG.....

Are you a dentist by any chance?
Just a concerned citizen :kumb:
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Big George wrote:I really don't think there's any need to be aggressive because someone has a different point of view to you.
I wasn't. I have no issue with someone having a different point of view to me. I do have an issue with you:

a) falsely claiming I said that I don't like the UP area/"hood"

b) stating that I am "supporting the wrong team, or even sport". I've supported WHU all my life through thick & thin so I take offence at that.

Here let me help you. I'll hand-hold you through it:
Big George wrote: I just wonder why you do if you hate the area so much.
I don't hate the area. Where have I said that? I was talking specifically about a single experience of queueing up with kids to get into UP station post-match.

Big George wrote:And I won't dwell on your dislike of the "changing demographic" too much.
Yet again not what I said. Try re-reading the part where I said "I know plenty of lifelong hammers who don't like it". Please do point out the part where I have apparently said that I don't like it?
Big George wrote:Finally, I read your posts very carefully

:lol:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

BTW some Newham residents got free tickets, don't know who and how many but they did
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Was driving around some of the Samoan lads last night and was asking them what it was like on the pitch looking out.

They said great stadium with a historic feel (amazing since it only opened 3 years ago) but the spectators in the top tier felt a long long way away. They were asking about ticket prices. When I said £300 ish a season for the worst seats they were like jeez until I explained that you pay triple that at london clubs they were then impressed
Big George

Post by Big George »

steveherts66 wrote:Was driving around some of the Samoan lads last night and was asking them what it was like on the pitch looking out.

They said great stadium with a historic feel (amazing since it only opened 3 years ago) but the spectators in the top tier felt a long long way away. They were asking about ticket prices. When I said £300 ish a season for the worst seats they were like jeez until I explained that you pay triple that at london clubs they were then impressed
Is the fella who go sent off banned for the RWC?
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Didn't ask.... They were proper lumps!