Olympic Stadium unofficial computer model

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium unofficial computer model

Post by eastsider »

taffhammer wrote:
Is it me or does anyone else get the feeling we'l be blinded by those floodlights during a night game ?

I think that as there are so many they will each be less brilliant and spread more evenly than the old, one lot in each corner of the pitch type. :crest:
Last edited by eastsider on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dec7000

Post by dec7000 »

I assume the lights are no lower than at many football grounds where they are located on the roof of grandstands. Individual lights will be directed towards specific areas of the pitch and not towards spectators so there shouldn't be a problem. One thing I did notice, though, were the shadows from the steelwork in the translucent roof which could prove distracting for spectators and awkward for tv cameras.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

well there will be odd days when it is bright and sunny during the game, so yeah, thats going to happen.

i wonder if there's a way to compensate by putting some lights on at a low wattage?
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

gavrosh wrote:well there will be odd days when it is bright and sunny during the game, so yeah, thats going to happen.

i wonder if there's a way to compensate by putting some lights on at a low wattage?
dimmer switch?

:)
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

eastsider wrote:
I think that as there are so many they will each be less brilliant and spread more evenly than the old, one lot in each corner of the pitch type.

Someone should make a joke about how many so-&-so's does it take to change an OS Lightbulb.. :P
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Thought this thread would now be redundant but seeing as the club are now banning peole from sharing the view that theyve paid for...

Image above: (7 rows from front east stand lower half way between half way line and goal)

Image above: (the view from the top of the stadium directly in line with the tip of the corner flag)

Image above: (the first row immediately behind a goal)

Thanks to IllustratorUK on skyscrapercity.com
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

His work is fantastic! Very grateful for his contributions
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Model tweaked a bit more. This looks possibly a band 3.

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Looks like there could be some pretty crazy shadows falling across the pitch during the opening months of the season when it's still sunny
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

The view from the very top of one of the end stands (ie a seat that wont be on sale, at least initially):

I'd be happy to pay £289 for a season ticket with that view.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

So would I Gavros even though I couldn't possibly make all home games as I'd have to fly in from Germany every time. But should I get one of the cheap season tickets I presume it's possible to sell the tickets to fellow fans for the ones you cannot go to.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

None of these images seem to match those shown to the SAB with distinct walkways to the lower tier and a large gap between tiers.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Indeed we are looking at something a fan has put together as we leave our home , shame on our owners because they have shown us nothing.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

Has any explanation been given as to why the blue gaps in north, south and west stands can't be filled in with demountable seating as per the East? I don't mean directly in front of the screens but everywhere else

Of course it would increase the capacity a bit but does seems like a design fault!
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

because it would obscure the view of the front rows of the upper tier ?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Because the gaps are flat and have no rake.The pitch is below them, so any seat other than the front row wouldn't be able to see it.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

But surely if demountable seats were put there JBB, that problem would be solved? Even if a few extra rows were put in it would reduce the gaps

I'm no engineers, hence the questions!
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

The rake on the lower tier is already small and there is not enough height to add extra seats between the tiers.
Remember the stadium wasn't designed for football. The lower tier is being moved forward for football so that only 35% of the 54,000 capacity will be as far away as the seats were for the Olympics.
Ignore the 'unofficial computer model'. If the stadium was as good as it is claimed to be then the club would have no need to continue to hide the truth.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

The west stand could have had the demountable filler, but unfortunately the design of the corporate area, which includes a lip of seating, would stop that fully bridging the gap. You could add a few rows however which might become feasible if capacity constraint becomes an issue. Similarly you can add seats to the top of the lower tier at the ends without compromising the view from the upper tier. You wont fully bridge the gap but you can halve it by doing this.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

brownout wrote:The rake on the lower tier is already small and there is not enough height to add extra seats between the tiers.
But they have done that with the east stand, why can't they do it with the north and south stands too?