Olympic Stadium unofficial computer model

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

gavrosh

Re: Olympic Stadium unofficial computer model

Post by gavrosh »

because the gap between the stand and the pitch is much bigger at the ends than it is the sides.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:As I posted on Skyscrapercity, these renders are great but how accurate are they in terms of scale?

Look at that lower tier, surely there are more than 19,000 seats there?

The scaling of the lower tier in comparison to the upper tier doesn't look right to me and the rake of the stands in the lower tier also look too steep in comparison to the old lower tier in the OS.

Maybe I am being picky but as we have someone prepared to generate these images for us now, lets try to get them as accurate as possible.
Do you know how long this would have taken the bloke to do? Pretty sure he isn't getting paid to do this, so how you can have the cheek to turn around and say "lets try to get them as accurate as possible" I have no idea. If you're not happy with them you could always try giving a go yourself...
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Here's a pic taken from the very back of one of the end stands (by one of our boys working on the roof). Compare and contrast with the model:

gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Sean Whetstone has picked up on the model and done a few articles including it:

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2 ... completion
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

Potentially there is some scope to fill in the end stands with more seats but obviously the screens as we see them would soon be obscured. however the original screens were only 'borrowed' and were double size so it very much depends on what replaces them, there is no commitment to replace with what was there before in the planning docs. In the future Im sure there will be further options though presently cost is obviously a strong factor plus WHU as things stand don't need the extra capacity. As others have said because the end stands move in further there will always be a gap so as not to obscure the sight lines of those in the balcony above which is a factor also on the west side where the hospitality exists.

That said I am not sure there is any obvious reason why more of the area immediately either side of the Kop stand can't be filled in (as the original question probably alluded to) I can't immediately see any greater problem with sight lines over that already filled in that stand, maybe someone might know better however. Hopefully if not a problem in that regard, that is simply down to not needing the extra capacity at this stage and more of that area could be used as required with extra filler seating as and when desired.

The model itself is pretty accurate as far as I can see for the most part anyway, though a flat image can only give a general sense of what a true 3 dimensional view when there where you get a better sense of depth. I will be interested to see if the gaps are more obvious in real life both there and on TV.