Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Toddie

Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Post by Toddie »

Afternoon,
I have decided to do an anthropological dissertation on the big move to the Olympic Stadium from our beloved home the Boleyn. I'm mainly looking at the social and financial repercussions from the club leaving its established and historical home ground...The effect it has on fans, local residents, businesses etc.
It's been incredibly interesting and have learnt that a lot of fans are still against this proposed move despite them knowing that it is a step closer to success.
The Boleyn ground is sacred and a church of memories that a lot people are adamant to let go.

Anyway I was wondering whether anyone could enlighten me on any thoughts or opinions they might have on the move or if they know of any local residents or businesses in general who are chuffed to bits that west ham are moving to the olympic stadium? Obviously businesses like Pubs and Nathans P&M are going to suffer greatly but I was wondering if any residents, cults, businesses are gonna benefit. Something I haven't been able to find out unfortunately!

Sorry if this bores you rigid just trying to gather as much information as possible, cheers. :crest:
WestHamIFC

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Post by WestHamIFC »

Toddie wrote:I was wondering whether anyone could enlighten me on any thoughts or opinions they might have on the move

'Kin 'Ell!!! :lol:
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

'Kin 'Ell!!! :lol:[/quote]

now thinking about it I probably should of asked a little bit more like a (*nt...
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

You'll get plenty of nice loony left opinion that your lecturers will like from this lot

http://www.friendsofqueensmarket.org.uk/index2.html
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

These are the same people that manage to convince Boris Johnson to turn down a planning application which would have seen the market redeveloped to look like this on the grounds of one building being to tall:

Despite the fact that some years earlier, this sat on the same site:

They are of course now objecting to the Galliard scheme for the Boleyn Ground, on the basis that theyre demanding 100% social housing. The idiots.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

thanks for the reply gavrosh, i'll check that website out!

Yeah i heard the Galliard scheme is not going to be affordable at all for surrounding residents let alone social housing. Looks as if it's going to be a start of a social cleansing exercise.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Well affordable itself is a misnomer as it only means the properties are offered to 'key workers' at a 20% market discount, which 1. Means nothing if the market price is high and 2. Only works for said key workers. What you need is provision for proper social housing but that was killed by right to buy. Anyway that's a subject for an economics dissertation in itself.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Toddie wrote:Afternoon,

It's been incredibly interesting and have learnt that a lot of fans are still against this proposed move despite them knowing that it is a step closer to success.
Do you know something that we don't Toddie or do you just believe the BS the club trots out....?

Good luck with your dissertation BTW....
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

sadly nathans are closing when we move
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

cockney hammer wrote:sadly nathans are closing when we move

It is sad as they are an institution over at west ham

Perhaps the club should spend less time trying to rebrand the stadium and should help the small businesses that will be effected by the move

I don't give a f*** about the comour of the seats at the new place, but if thy helped the owners of Nathan's build a premesis close to the new stadium, then that's an initiative those west ham fans would back
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

cockney hammer wrote:if thy helped the owners of Nathan's build a premesis close to the new stadium, then that's an initiative those west ham fans would back
Much as the club doesnt give a **** about local businesses, they couldnt help them in this case even if they wanted to. The LLDC decide what gets built close to the stadium and have already given the supporters club short shrift about having something built close to the ground. The best bet for a business such as Nathans is a concession in something already built, like the food court in Westfields, or agreeing with a pub to do their catering. I noticed the Rib Man looked around what will be a restaurant space in Here East (the old broadcasting centre) a couple of days back.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

gavrosh that was not my quote :D
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

gavrosh wrote: Much as the club doesnt give a **** about local businesses, they couldnt help them in this case even if they wanted to. The LLDC decide what gets built close to the stadium and have already given the supporters club short shrift about having something built close to the ground. The best bet for a business such as Nathans is a concession in something already built, like the food court in Westfields, or agreeing with a pub to do their catering. I noticed the Rib Man looked around what will be a restaurant space in Here East (the old broadcasting centre) a couple of days back.
I think your right about businesses like Nathans having to seek their own opportunities. However I think you can rule out Westfield. I spoke to someone who runs a couple of fast food/coffee shops in Stratford and they say the rent in Westfield is prohibitive for them. A better option would be the likes of Here East or better still the old Stratford Centre (The Mall) which, for those that don't know, is directly opposite Stratford station.

It has been noticeable in the last few months that shops who have a branch in Westfield have been closing. Although they have been filled, one by a chinese noodle bar, it does seem to demonstrate a Westfield effect is starting to happen and that provides a chance for local independent traders like Nathan to fill the void.
upminstercraig

Post by upminstercraig »

It is sad as they are an institution over at west ham

Perhaps the club should spend less time trying to rebrand the stadium and should help the small businesses that will be effected by the move

I don't give a **** about the comour of the seats at the new place, but if thy helped the owners of Nathan's build a premesis close to the new stadium, then that's an initiative those west ham fans would back[/quote]

They can't do that though, cause where would that all stop, the other pie & mash shop, Duncan's, closed down a couple of years ago, undoubtedly due to the move, are the club supposed to help them out too? And what about a few of the pubs that have closed down & that will close down? And a few of the cafes too? I'm sorry but it's either they help everyone out, or none of them. You can't pick & choose places that the club should help out just because you like going there.
Yes it seems harsh, & yes it will be sad when they close down, but nothing last forever, it's just the realities of moving forward.
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

upminstercraig wrote:

They can't do that though, cause where would that all stop, the other pie & mash shop, Duncan's, closed down a couple of years ago, undoubtedly due to the move, are the club supposed to help them out too? And what about a few of the pubs that have closed down & that will close down? And a few of the cafes too? I'm sorry but it's either they help everyone out, or none of them. You can't pick & choose places that the club should help out just because you like going there.
Yes it seems harsh, & yes it will be sad when they close down, but nothing last forever, it's just the realities of moving forward.
Or you could argue that the club will not be doing anything to help their competition.................
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

gavrosh wrote:These are the same people that manage to convince Boris Johnson to turn down a planning application which would have seen the market redeveloped to look like this on the grounds of one building being to tall:.
Or perhaps they wanted to keep the market as it is, and part of the objection they wanted to put a supermarket there as well, that the locals didn't want.
I agree their wanting of 100% social housing is unachievable but the fact there is none is scandalous, add to the fact galliard are skilled in avoiding building social housing as part of their devolpments then they have every reason to be upset.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Private developers dont have an obligation to provide 'social' housing, that is the job of the council and housing associations. Affordable (a discount on market price) housing is part of the London Plan and the target is 20% on large scale developments. I assume that this will be thrashed out between the planners and the developer.

And as for keeping the market as is (ie a **** hole) they can be my guest.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

gavrosh wrote:Private developers dont have an obligation to provide 'social' housing, that is the job of the council and housing associations. Affordable (a discount on market price) housing is part of the London Plan and the target is 20% on large scale developments. I assume that this will be thrashed out between the planners and the developer.

And as for keeping the market as is (ie a **** hole) they can be my guest.
Currently on 6% of the devolpment is called affordable by galliards, Newham mayor has aready called this unacceptable. My money's on it goes through though.
The market may be **** hole in your eyes, but if the locals they use it don't want it reevolped then that is their right. Funny thing is the Scottish mayor of Newham loses out on his re devolpment of the market, then the boleyn ground is available and he throws his hat behind the club moving.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Sorry but its not the right of the locals to stop development. Redevelopment of the area is a good thing.
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

gavrosh wrote:Sorry but its not the right of the locals to stop development. Redevelopment of the area is a good thing.
The "locals" were against the whole re-development of Docklands. Clearly their perception that it would do nothing for the creation of jobs and prosperity in the area was spot on! I always laugh when I see people who have never, and could not, run a whelk stall pontificating on what will and will not be good for an area.