Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby Rocketron on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:44 pm

How many whelk stalls are there in Docklands ?
User avatar
Rocketron
 
Posts: 11440
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:45 pm
Location: Slaven To The Rhythym

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby hammers1954 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Rocketron wrote:How many whelk stalls are there in Docklands ?


Not as many as holes in Blackburn, Lancashire!
User avatar
hammers1954
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 10:37 pm
Location: Stratford - host to 2012 Olympics

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby hammers1954 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Seriously, I don't see what the Mayor Newham being a Scot has to do with anything.

Whether you like him or not he is I think a genuine supporter. I saw at both play off finals and certainly at the first versus Palace he travelled on a supporters coach.

West Ham also has a proud socialist tradition returning the first Labour MP, Keir Hardie, who was a Scot!
User avatar
hammers1954
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 10:37 pm
Location: Stratford - host to 2012 Olympics

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby gavrosh on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Oh ok we better leave those whelk-savvy locals to it. After all they've done a great job for the local area in the last 40-odd years.
gavrosh
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby mywhufc on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 pm

gavrosh wrote:Oh ok we better leave those whelk-savvy locals to it. After all they've done a great job for the local area in the last 40-odd years.

No mate, the great job has been carried out the ruling Labour Party of Newham, who forgot about the people living there and chased the new money.
Only have to look at the re devolpment of Canning Town to see how great they are,
Achieved something Hitler couldn't even achieve with his bombs.
User avatar
mywhufc
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby gavrosh on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:01 pm

Chased what new money? There wasnt any of it coming into Newham until about ten years ago. What chased people out to Romford, Upminster, Brentwood et al was a sense of doing better for themselves for getting out, plus a sense of getting away from the deprivation of what the areas were turning to. What's more, all those ethnics that so many people tried to get away from are going to be moving in next door to them soon with a couple of hundred grand in their pocket on the profit on what they sold the house that they sold to them for. Poetic justice. The wheel turns. The new replace the old.
gavrosh
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby WestHamIFC on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 am

gavrosh wrote:.. getting away from the deprivation of what the areas were turning to.


:think:

Pretty sure Newham, or the boroughs of West Ham and East Ham as it was previously, were not turning into deprived areas - they already were! Since Victorian times!

But yes, many folks finally had a chance and the means to 'get out' - so they did just that and got themselves a nice Semi with a Garden further out in Essex, etc..

As has happened throughout history all over the world, migrants almost always end up back-filling the places that no one else wants to live in. Newham has been no exception..
User avatar
WestHamIFC
 
Posts: 4804
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:18 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby mywhufc on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:09 pm

gavrosh wrote:Chased what new money? There wasnt any of it coming into Newham until about ten years ago. What chased people out to Romford, Upminster, Brentwood et al was a sense of doing better for themselves for getting out, plus a sense of getting away from the deprivation of what the areas were turning to. What's more, all those ethnics that so many people tried to get away from are going to be moving in next door to them soon with a couple of hundred grand in their pocket on the profit on what they sold the house that they sold to them for. Poetic justice. The wheel turns. The new replace the old.

out of curiosity for this argument, where were you brought up.
as i dont know i wont say you have no clue of what its like to live around there.
but i can point to the renovation of rathbone market where a council block was demolished as well as the run down market, and replaced with top speck flats that cost over £1,500 a month to rent. loads of other development taking place around Canning Town, and not 1 person i know thinks its for the benefit of those living there before the blocks were demolished,
User avatar
mywhufc
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby monkeyhanger on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:44 pm

It's all part of the social cleansing of London mywhufc.

If things carry on the way they're going London will be just a playground for young professionals and the rich within 20 years. All the poor will be stuck out in the periphery just like in Paris.

That's why membership of the new Boleyn bar at the OS costs £2,500 a year and there is no equivalent of the old supporters club being built. Brady is chasing the new money too.
monkeyhanger
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby mywhufc on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 pm

monkeyhanger wrote:It's all part of the social cleansing of London mywhufc.

If things carry on the way they're going London will be just a playground for young professionals and the rich within 20 years. All the poor will be stuck out in the periphery just like in Paris.

That's why membership of the new Boleyn bar at the OS costs £2,500 a year and there is no equivalent of the old supporters club being built. Brady is chasing the new money too.

Agree with everything you say
User avatar
mywhufc
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby gavrosh on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

The Victorian terraces of plaistow, Upton park, forest gate and east ham - where I was born and grew up - were never slums, and neither were the Georgian terraces of Bow, and thats partly the reason that these areas are now gentrifying. Canning town,, custom house and parts of Whitechapel may be different but they don't on their own excuse the flight out of east London. I personally put it down to the general trend to the suburbs post war that is now being reversed by the kids if the people that moved out to the suburbs to live 'the good life' life. Going on about social cleansing is utter crap, its market forces. The people that are moving out are doing so willingly after making a very healthy profit. The people moving in are as welcome as everyone's ancestors that first moved in 100 years ago.
gavrosh
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:28 pm

hammers1954 wrote:Seriously, I don't see what the Mayor Newham being a Scot has to do with anything.

Whether you like him or not he is I think a genuine supporter. I saw at both play off finals and certainly at the first versus Palace he travelled on a supporters coach.

West Ham also has a proud socialist tradition returning the first Labour MP, Keir Hardie, who was a Scot!


Being a Scot has nowt to do with anything.

As for being a 'genuine' supporter, leave it out. He admitted going for the sake of political image and has come to a cosy little deal with the Club. Shame it's his residents borrowing £40m and not him.

A socialist? I don't reckon he could spell it.

Hardie, on the other hand, was a great man. Tony Benn's wife wrote a good biog of him.
User avatar
Doc H Ball
 
Posts: 8795
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: in nick

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:
Being a Scot has nowt to do with anything.

As for being a 'genuine' supporter, leave it out. He admitted going for the sake of political image


They all do it Doc , I had lunch up the Commons one day with Jim Fitzpatrick, at the time the local MP.He too was a Scot and only goes for the image and votes .

Lunch was good .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 38345
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Malcontented

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:43 pm

Not all Pinky. I had coffee with Len Duvall recently and he's a genuine supporter and critic of our move. Coffee was rank mind.

I enjoyed the time Tony Banks got some dogs abuse at the BG one day. Nice fella but getting the local MP and Chelsea fan onto the pitch for some self publicity was never going to turn out well.

Going further back, Ian Smith, the racist leader of 'Rhodesia' was once a guest of the board, was introduced to the crowd and to their credit they gave him a nice big boo. That must have been early 80s?

We can probably agree that no politician should use football to further their careers. Especially Vice Chairmen who recall us throwing bananas at Clyde Best.
User avatar
Doc H Ball
 
Posts: 8795
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: in nick

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby mywhufc on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:17 pm

gavrosh wrote:The Victorian terraces of plaistow, Upton park, forest gate and east ham - where I was born and grew up - were never slums, and neither were the Georgian terraces of Bow, and thats partly the reason that these areas are now gentrifying. Canning town,, custom house and parts of Whitechapel may be different but they don't on their own excuse the flight out of east London. I personally put it down to the general trend to the suburbs post war that is now being reversed by the kids if the people that moved out to the suburbs to live 'the good life' life. Going on about social cleansing is utter crap, its market forces. The people that are moving out are doing so willingly after making a very healthy profit. The people moving in are as welcome as everyone's ancestors that first moved in 100 years ago.

The council tennants moved out of Canning Town to make way for the re devolpment, they didn't make a killing, nor many wanted to go, private flats now standing where their homes once were, if that's not social cleansing then nothing is. That is nothing to do with market forces, nor the apartments only being offered for sale abroad.
User avatar
mywhufc
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby spyinthesky on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Clearly social cleansing has taken place indeed it is taking place at the Elephant and castle this very moment. Rackman and his henchmen at the behest of rich supporters achieved in West London and grandiose redevelopment schemes post war where everything was flattened but the odd corner pub, despite often only superficial damage to the houses in between did more damage than Hitler ever did. Communities were actively encouraged to move out with a mixture of a promise of a better life but often with less pleasant motives. I always grew up thinking all these Victorian terraces my relatives lived in were slums, now you see why they are so sort after and mostly far better housing than whats been built since the 30s for ordinary people. Certainly they were far less of a slum (when suitably improved) than the appalling post war tower blocks that finished off the remaining communities who then couldn't wait to get out. So willing movement wasn't always exactly willing. Fact is post war planning for good or bad intensions was a total disaster.

Some social historians are beginning to recognise these acts of destruction and break up often to eliminate what were deemed historically troublesome communities and now record them as acts of social cleaning, but yes its very much covered by voluntary or willing movement by those who lost friends and neighbours or did better for themselves and moved further and further away equally breaking up communities. These effects can be very subtle to start with but of massive consequence over the years.

I was at Canning Town bank holiday weekend couldn't recognise hardly any of it but there and Silvertown are rapidly becoming increasingly gentrified with a mix of very well off and relatively poor immigrants not exactly a wonderful balanced combination for the future I think but then even living here in the suburbs its going the same way.
User avatar
spyinthesky
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:37 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby Doc H Ball on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 am

I see the Olympic Park as some sort of gated community. A Green Zone safe from the Islamists, Plan B, local boozers, the yoot and street hawkers.
User avatar
Doc H Ball
 
Posts: 8795
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: in nick

Re: Boleyn Ground to Olympic Stadium

Postby mushy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Going further back, Ian Smith, the racist leader of 'Rhodesia' was once a guest of the board, was introduced to the crowd and to their credit they gave him a nice big boo. That must have been early 80st.

Wow! I thought I had a brilliant memory for all things old West Ham, but have recollection of that at all.
Well done you and the crowd.
mushy
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Previous

Return to The Olympic Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest