Stadium wow factor!

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: Stadium wow factor!

Post by Aceface »

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:I was at the stadium on Friday night and although it pains me to say so, I was impressed by it.
Why does it pain you to say it's ok?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'm glad people think it will be ok - seriously , I am .

My opinion, and I have been, is it is wholly unsuitable for watching football .

I said as much to the appropriate people at the appropriate time .
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

I wouldn't think that a fellow WHU fan would need explanation of that!
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm glad people think it will be ok - seriously , I am .

My opinion, and I have been, is it is wholly unsuitable for watching football .

I said as much to the appropriate people at the appropriate time .
You've been since the roof has been built?

Speaking to people who have been before and after it sounds like it's made a huge difference
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Yea Why Not wrote:You've been since the roof has been built?

Speaking to people who have been before and after it sounds like it's made a huge difference
Really ? It's shortened viewing distances has it ? That's some roof .......
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:
The view has been rarely raised as an issue by anyone who has been. In fact, it's what most people have been pleasantly surprised with!
hatori

Post by hatori »

Was very impressed by the selection process and the look of the stadium on screen.
Reserving judgement till i've sat in there but good to hear these comments, keep them coming

:crest:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Yea Why Not wrote: The view has been rarely raised as an issue by anyone who has been.
Again, really? Again, it was the central reason for my objection to it as a suitable venue for watching football .
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote:
Correct me if im wrong but havent they been working on the retractable seating and come our games these seats will be out .. shortening the distances a bit?
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

mumbles87 wrote:
Correct me if im wrong but havent they been working on the retractable seating and come our games these seats will be out .. shortening the distances a bit?

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

As the graphic above clearly shows, the upper tier seating doesn't move at all .

We've been through this once or twice .
SirTrev
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by SirTrev »

As someone who had reservations about the move, due to concerns with the view, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised and impressed when I went over there Friday night.

I walked the entire way round the stadium, in the back row of the top tier. It's true, there is a big distance between you and the pitch but that doesn't make the view bad.

And even from up there, in the worst seats, its a good view of the action and I'd happily have a season ticket there. Obviously, the further down the upper tier you go and into the lower tier the view will only get better. I now believe the view is nothing to worry about.

I think the vast majority of Hammers who go to the stadium with an open mind will be happy with it.

The walk from Station to Stadium definitely needs a livening up though!!

:crest:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote:As the graphic above clearly shows, the upper tier seating doesn't move at all .

I know the upper decks dont move but the lower decks do as seen above so they would be a great view to watch the game at? I guess its a case of wait and see. If its anything like wembley it wont be that bad
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:As the graphic above clearly shows, the upper tier seating doesn't move at all .

Are you sitting in the upper tier?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

It does have the wow factor as you walk in, as yes it is very big but 54,000 in the same footprint as Wembley's 90,000.
The wife's mate new house has the wow factor it is frigging massive, but out in the sticks so no use to me even if I could afford it !

The OS upper tier doesn't do it for me too far away its outside the circumference of the Emirates ! People moan about the West Upper now ! But if you like the view from a distance then go for it.

BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

Was there Saturday in upper tier about half way up and view onto the field was amazing - will be no problem whatsoever watching football from there. Was also at the Stadium last night for the Diamond 5x5k relay corporate event and the view from the lower tier 8 rows back was again really good onto the field. Not sure where or how the retractable seating will work but I think viewing will not be an issue. The stadium last night was beautiful particularly as it got dark and the floodlights came on. Heard so many people comment on how fantastic the stadium was and how it looks like a top football venue. I did run wearing my West Ham baseball cap and they did play Cockney Rebels version of bubbles - it's already starting to feel like home :crest:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Aztec Hammer wrote:Are you sitting in the upper tier?
No.
SL

Post by SL »

I went to the athletics on Friday and it was my first visit to the stadium.

I wasn't too interested in the athletics and instead just wanted to have a good nose around our new home. Luckily we were able to access most areas of the stadium without any problems.

I didn't appreciate how long the walk is from the tube. We arrived after the start and left before the end so we beat all the crowds. Even so, it still felt like a bit of a mission. Hey ho, cant be helped I guess.

On entering the stadium through the turnstiles I realised that the concourse areas aren't actually "indoors" but are instead simply covered areas. Not a massive issue in the warmer months but the rain was getting in at some areas. I was "indoors" but getting wet.

Generally there are plenty of places to go to the loo and get something to eat (not at the same time!). The food and drink outlets weren't stocked well enough and the organisation was poor but i'm hoping that we will have different contractors when we move in, or they would have at least got their act together by then. Also, it looked like not all of the food outlets were actually open so I assume that they will all be open on our match days.

When I entered the actual stadium it hit me just how big the place is. It's massive. I don't know why this came as such a surprise to me, after all it is an 80,000 seater stadium.

As others have said, you have a good view of the pitch from every seat in the house. I always took this as a given though considering this is a brand new stadium. I'd be extremely disappointed if there was a seat in the house that didn't have a good view.

Despite the views being good, you cant get away from the fact that you are very far away from the pitch. I'm talking more about the upper tier here as the lower tier will obviously move closer to the pitch for our games.

It felt like there was something going on way over there and I was watching it from way over here.

I certainly got the impression that I wouldn't feel a part of it if that makes sense. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching something from afar. Obviously this gets worse the further back you go.

Could I watch a match from way back there? Of course I could, I could see everything clearly enough. Yes the players will look small but at least I could see the whole thing clearly. Will I feel part of it or enjoy the experience as much as I do at other football stadiums? No. I will simply be too far away from the pitch for my personal liking and definitely further away than most seats in most other football stadiums.

Is it a long walk from the station, yes. Will it look weird having 20,000 seats covered up during the games, probably. Will the gaps between and behind the moveable stands look strange? Possibly.

Did I come away feeling "wowd"? No.
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

BMLGirl wrote: I did run wearing my West Ham baseball cap and they did play Cockney Rebels version of bubbles.
I assume you meant the Cockney Rejects as I'd love to hear Steve Harley singing a version of Bubbles as he's a Millwall supporter. :lol:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

To be fair the stadium is still a building site and things should be much improved for when we move in.