Stadium wow factor!

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Willardguy

Stadium wow factor!

Post by Willardguy »

I have just read Sean Whetstones piece on our new home on the official site and I can only agree with his sentiments. I did not go in 2012 so Saturday was my first visit to the Olympic Stadium. I can only say that it was quite a mesmerising experience. All viewing angles were excellent, very easy access to the toilets, easy access to food and drinks (but very expensive!!). I was in the upper tier and the views for football and athletics were fantastic!!!!

Any other thoughts out there?

:scarfer:
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Re: Stadium wow factor!

Post by chalks »

any credibility SW had vanished when he jumped into bed with Hugh Shitun as far as I'm concerned

But Stadium does look good yeah
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

Morning karren.

No sugar, just milk. Thanks.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

The leaky roof was nice on Friday night ! :fsake:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

To be fair I know a number of people who have visited the stadium recently and they've all said the same thing
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

happydaystoytown wrote:The leaky roof was nice on Friday night ! :fsake:
Yeah first time it's been tested I believe, it will be fixed hence all the scaffolding still up giving access to the roof etc

But hey it's **** right?
Patito

Post by Patito »

:lol:
gegsy wrote:Morning karren.

No sugar, just milk. Thanks.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

But are those good viewing angles for the athletics track as opposed to the field?
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

lukeWHU wrote:But are those good viewing angles for the athletics track as opposed to the field?
not from everyone who has told me, 5 different people, none of whom are West ham fans, have told me the view of the pitch area is fantastic.
a86

Post by a86 »

Willardguy wrote:I have just read Sean Whetstones piece on our new home on the official site and I can only agree with his sentiments. I did not go in 2012 so Saturday was my first visit to the Olympic Stadium. I can only say that it was quite a mesmerising experience. All viewing angles were excellent, very easy access to the toilets, easy access to food and drinks (but very expensive!!). I was in the upper tier and the views for football and athletics were fantastic!!!!

Any other thoughts out there?

:scarfer:
I agree 100% with you. my first time at the stadium and I was mindblown how good it actually is. I took some pics on my twitter and uploaded last night and C&Hugh has knicked my image of the last 2 rows. I also uploaded images of the new club shop and the proposed football pitch and mini grandstand next to it.

I sat in turnstile E block 223 row 61 and had a really good unrestricted view. very impressed and its only going to get better.
I've got curly hair too

Post by I've got curly hair too »

I was at the stadium the week before the Anniversary Games as my daughter was competing in the Newham 10K run, so pretty much could stroll about checking facilities, views etc. I had a chance to go right to the back of the upper tier in the stand facing to new corporate boxes (ie, the 'fanzone' I believe) and the view was great. the grassed area didn't appear to be too far away and the sight lines are perfect.

The bottom tier however felt a bit shallow and low, but I guess that the retractable seating will sort this out but is difficult to quite image how this will be once these are fitted - are they likely to be in pace for the RWC?

The toilet facilities were great , well appointed and spacious. The catering facilities were closed though
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

a86 wrote:......................

I took some pics on my twitter and uploaded last night and C&Hugh has knicked my image of the last 2 rows. I also uploaded images of the new club shop and the proposed football pitch and mini grandstand next to it.
Did he copy the picture or just link to it?

An easy way to find out is to delete your tweet and see if 'his' picture also vanishes :D
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

The stadium is the absolute nuts.

That's it.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

I've got curly hair too wrote:
The bottom tier however felt a bit shallow and low, but I guess that the retractable seating will sort this out but is difficult to quite image how this will be once these are fitted - are they likely to be in pace for the RWC?
I believe all the work is due after the RWC.

From the olympic park website.
Following the Rugby World Cup, final work will be carried out to prepare the Stadium for its long term tenants West Ham United FC and UK Athletics.

New retractable seating will be installed so the lower bowl can be protracted and retracted depending on the type of event taking place allowing closer pitch side football views while retaining an international class running track.

The Stadium will host the 2017 IAAF World Athletics Championships and IPC Athletics World Championships – the first time these prestigious global events have been staged in the same venue in the same year.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

You'll barely find anyone that's actually been there complain too much about the view - going all the way back to the Olympics most of us who had actually sat in the place thought it was fine. That tended to get lost among the much louder noise made by people who haven't been saying the move was going to send the club into eternal hellfire.

The bigger concern for me remains how it all ties together as a stadium - there's a good chance it'll look and feel a bit weird due to the gaps in the structure - the side stands should look ok (and the continuous east stand will probably look the boss) but I fear for the two ends behind the goalposts - the plans for those don't fill me with a great deal of confidence. I'll reserve comment until I've seen it for a football game though
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

a86 wrote:......................

I took some pics on my twitter and uploaded last night and C&Hugh has knicked my image of the last 2 rows. I also uploaded images of the new club shop and the proposed football pitch and mini grandstand next to it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Did he copy the picture or just link to it?

An easy way to find out is to delete your tweet and see if 'his' picture also vanishes
Or better still, replace the pic with a graphic that says "C&H is a ****" :lol:
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I don't know if I'm out of touch here but 18-20 k seats will be closed off. I know they did some clever things in the woman's world cup but does anyone know what this will look like??

Edit..
This means the overall capacity for the new stadium now stands at 74,000. Planning permission remains at 54,000 for football which will require 20,000 seats to be covered up on match days.

How the stadium operators plan to cover such a large number of seats remains to be unveiled. Maybe Claret and Blue tarpaulin might planned or images of West Ham heroes rather than empty seats.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

I was at the stadium on Friday night and although it pains me to say so, I was impressed by it.

I was in the lower tier of the north end, near one of the large screens and it was a very good view for athletics. I could also see the other end of the pitch quite well.

It looked great when it got darker (around 9.30 onwards) but I get the feeling that it needs European football to be a real success as a football stadium.

My uncle is going to some RWC matches there so it will be interesting to see his pictures. Even better if the retractable seats are out for that. Does anyone know?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I went on Saturday.

It's a superb stadium. There is a wow factor to it. I thought the views onto the infield area were very, very good, even without the retractable seating.

Providing the change to football mode is done adequately and it doesn't look ridiculous, it should be excellent to watch football from.

Stadiums always seem to be more snug when you get inside them. This was no different for me.

I wait with great anticipation to see it in football/rugby mode.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Rebirth, I didn't see the scaffolding still up, just the half dozen or so people around us getting wet, in block 140, I'm sure it will be sorted but a bit disappointing.

Observations; the view was better than I thought but it was the lower tier.
The acoustics were excellent, with a really good noise greeting Bolt and Farrah, I imagine 50k plus football fans will be something quite impressive. The sound is really contained within the bowl and huge roof.

But what a bleak, soulless experience walking from the station to the stadium and that includes Westfield!