Expect another olympic storm today

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Re: Expect another olympic storm today

Post by claretchris »

Pretty sure the tax payer will start to get profits from this deal too - we will be the reason that happens
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

Everyone forget if we get sold within the next 10 years, 50% of that profit goes to the tax payer
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

I can see why people may think West Ham have a good deal at the tax payers expense. I hope this programme gives an objective report so that viewers can make up their own minds. From the trailer it doesn't look as if that will be the case.

My concern all along has been the deal for the fans - comparative views, prices, atmosphere, standing, access, plus migration policy and the lack of transparency and consultation from the club.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:I thought the job of a reporter was to report the news not create it .

The time to debate all of this was years ago , the only people who have any right to campaign are West Ham United supporters who will in many cases be paying more for a worse view .

I don't think the taxpayer has got a good deal but it certainly isn't West Ham's fault .If he wants to chuck mud , start with the politicians who decided to build the stadium the way they did .
The views at the OS have been widely applauded by the vast majority of West Ham fans who have attended the stadium. On top of this, some of the best views in the house are yet to be installed
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Maybe the Beeb would have liked it to fall into a state of disrepair
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I reckon we would fit in well as a top 4 club.

Lets face it everyone is jealous of the top four big clubs and begrudge them everything.

We are already up there in that sense, everyone begrudges us getting a better stadium, beating the drop, in fact they don't want to see us progress at anything, we must be doing something right then. :D
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I reckon the whole thing stinks...starting with Chelsea fan seb coe deliberately endorsing a stadium that was not designed for football.pardon?
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
I don't think the taxpayer has got a good deal but it certainly isn't West Ham's fault .If he wants to chuck mud , start with the politicians who decided to build the stadium the way they did .
There was a solid plan put in place by the Labour Government along with Ken, the stadium was designed to be dismantled (the upper tier going to Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games) Spurs were right that ground was unsuitable for football and their plan to rebuild it and reinvest in Crystal Palace was the right one.

The Tories have got this wrong as in their way, the know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Even after this storm in a tea cup tonight there will still be a challenge again from the EU. It's a bad deal for everyone involved, other than our owners, tax-payers are being dipped (maybe they are using the bedroom tax to fund the stadium?) and we end up with a white elephant stadium, thousands of empty seats and away fans in the home end. Yippee :scarfer:

I can only think of it as West Ham United ending in May and a new club starting in August - otherwise I'm going to spend my life saying "it was better in the old days" but that's a issue for a different thread.
jenkins89
Has liked: 1 like

Post by jenkins89 »

e1hammer wrote:
There was a solid plan put in place by the Labour Government along with Ken, the stadium was designed to be dismantled (the upper tier going to Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games) Spurs were right that ground was unsuitable for football and their plan to rebuild it and reinvest in Crystal Palace was the right one.

The Tories have got this wrong as in their way, the know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Even after this storm in a tea cup tonight there will still be a challenge again from the EU. It's a bad deal for everyone involved, other than our owners, tax-payers are being dipped (maybe they are using the bedroom tax to fund the stadium?) and we end up with a white elephant stadium, thousands of empty seats and away fans in the home end. Yippee :scarfer:

I can only think of it as West Ham United ending in May and a new club starting in August - otherwise I'm going to spend my life saying "it was better in the old days" but that's a issue for a different thread.
You're right, if only Labour had won the last two elections, then the taxpayer could have just paid out to maintain an empty stadium instead. Maybe I'm wrong, afterall they got it so right with the Millenium Dome...

And as for the idea Tottenham had it right; it's called the London Legacy Development Corporation, with "Legacy" being the operative word. They need something tangible to stay on that site so they can point to it and say: "look at that. Remember when we had the Olympics in London?"

I'm not saying that's right at all (nor do I think it's the perfect solution for us) but they didn't have a better option than ours on the table, which is why they did as much as they could to accommodate us. It's their own bloody fault that public money is having to foot the majority of the bill.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

It's pretty simple really, the olympics had to have a stadium, that done post Olympics you have 3 choices, raze it to the ground, subsidise it entirely through the taxpayer with some offset for occasional athletics, rugby and concerts or offset it virtually in full via our rent ( using the BBC's own figures ) with any athletics\rugby\concerts as upside.

The route that is being bitched about was the only viable show in town.

The stupidity of looking at one aspect astounds me, what was the alternative Mr Moan, I mean Roan.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I do believe that when West Ham won the first bid in a fair and open tender they would lease the stadium, paying far more for it and also being responsible for the upkeep, maintenance and the like as well as most or all of the cost for the alterations.

Just like any other leaseholder.

Then Tottenham (and Hearn?) had a bleat and the whole thing was revisited. West Ham again won the fair and open tender, this time as tenants, at a negotiated rent, where the landlord is responsible for maintenance and upkeep as well as the cost of alterations.

Just like any other tenant.
MCHammerJr

Post by MCHammerJr »

I wonder if the BBC even mention the fact that whilst paying rent, West Ham being tenants for at least 99 years will provide thousands of people with jobs across 3/4 generations in what is an area of London that is still in need of them. Something that any other solution, or even the original plan could have done. The builders, ground staff, catering staff, local businesses thus the economy itself will all benefit with this deal, plus keeping the legacy alive.

Stratford and London will be better off with us there, West Ham are getting a good deal but the government and the area is getting the best possible deal it could given the options, which is why we won the bid.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

It's very convenient to just paint West Ham as the villain here and simply ignore every single fact or figure that doesn't suit that agenda. Hearn of all people would have forgotten all about state aid claims if he had been allowed to groundshare for next to nothing. Plain jealousy of another club negotiating a good deal where Hearn for a change doesn't get a piece of the pie.

If it was up to Hearn and some of those journos (BBC, Daily Mail etc.) West Ham would have to pay 20 million rent a year, 100 million upfront towards conversion, all naming rights for the taxpayer, all catering for the taxpayer and West Ham still not owning anything, but merely renting the place.
Problem with that is that no club would agree to such terms leaving the OS to become a rotting white elephant.

In what world do you expect someone renting a place and paying the same as if they were buying the place ?
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Maybe the Beeb would have liked it to fall into a state of disrepair

LOL They probably would!! :lol:
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

MCHammerJr wrote:I wonder if the BBC even mention the fact that whilst paying rent, West Ham being tenants for at least 99 years will provide thousands of people with jobs across 3/4 generations in what is an area of London that is still in need of them.
Problem is many lose their jobs as well.
Stewards at WHU for a start, all need to apply to the private company with the contract, no guarantee job.
Same for catering staff, factor in the food outlets, and pub workers etc etc.
What about the clubs ground staff.
There are losers as well as winners.
The programme could be seen as one sided but since the club didn't take part what else could they do
officeboy
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by officeboy »

Are the "thousands of jobs" provided by us having the stadium mainly 25 day a year type jobs though? :oops:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

i think the funnist bit in that shambles of a programme was when the shadow culture minister said that we could be liable for £500 million in compensation to the taxpayer. I mean how clueless do you have to be to think the a club leasing a stadium for 25 days a year should pay for it. Its like saying someone who's renting a two bed flat that the rules have suddenly changed and they now have to pay £500 grand, and still not own it.

The fact that the catering rights will mostly go to the LLDC as well as most of the sponsorship was also ignored despite that part of the deal being in the public domain.

Clear politics stitched up an anti Tory BBC and a Spurs fan journalist.And Hearn of course, who is simply jealous.
919er

Post by 919er »

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 17206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pamadice

Post by Pamadice »

Agenda driven bow locks. If you bid to host the Olympics and build a stadium to host it in, the return you get for the taxpayer is the Olympics . To then expect someone to come along and pay 250 odd million for something you dont want anymore is ridiculous.