West Ham Ice Hockey & Basketball teams

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

West Ham Ice Hockey & Basketball teams

Post by ooh look who it is »

Anyone thought if the club will try to tie in (like other European sides) the other teams at the OS's various sites? Look at Barcelona (I'm not trying to compare us to Barcelona before you lot start) and Real they have big followings for their basketball teams so not sure if the club would try doing something similar.

If they don't pull them under the one banner with us as it may alienate current fans of these sports it may be an idea to have discounted tickets for say season tickets holders at the London Lions basketball and the Raiders ice hockey?

I personally wouldn't like us to do that as you would be trampling all over the current fans of these sides but I think it maybe in the interests of these teams to perhaps at least try and do some sort of deal with us to try and get a few extra in the door.

I have been to a couple of Lions games and the place is only half full. Decent enough atmosphere though. No idea the crowd at the ice hockey but I am sure these teams could benefit from at least advertising with us?

Anyone agree or care?
gavrosh

Re: West Ham Ice Hockey & Basketball teams

Post by gavrosh »

What of any significance would be in it for us? It's not as if, as you say, they get big crowds which we could capture.

And where is this ice hockey team? Not lea valley ice rink?

That said I get the idea. A link up with British Athletis would e useful as they will pull in crowds for the Diamond League. The big, big one would be some sort of link in with Westfield, as that's the demographic the club will want to capture to expand. Something like spend £250 and get a free ticket to West Ham (which Westfield then pays the club for).
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

The club don't even support West Ham Ladies football team, I can't see them being very interested.
With my posting record recently this probably means they're already looking into it as another way to raise revenue. :lol:
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

gavrosh wrote:What of any significance would be in it for us? It's not as if, as you say, they get big crowds which we could capture.

And where is this ice hockey team? Not lea valley ice rink?

That said I get the idea. A link up with British Athletis would e useful as they will pull in crowds for the Diamond League. The big, big one would be some sort of link in with Westfield, as that's the demographic the club will want to capture to expand. Something like spend £250 and get a free ticket to West Ham (which Westfield then pays the club for).
Well the rebranding of the club with London in the title which I sadly see coming. Creating one huge big sporting club covering multiple sports.

It would make more sense from the other teams to advertise with us, show your season ticket get x amount of for the basketball at Copper Box.

Yeah Lea Valley. Don't worry have you seen the ice rink at the Camp Nou :D
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

I can see the sponsor wanting to brand the stadium as 'the home of sport' what with football, athletics, T20 cricket and rugby league (amongst other things) so you may we'll be correct albeit the sponsor rather than the club creating the link. As said before though the big money and potential crowd comes via the Westfield relationship, and that's something already mentioned in the planning documents
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

thought this piece of the story published this evening had definite relevance to this thread

Brady: "And when people are spilling out into the park, or going to the athletics or the hockey because we’re cross-promoting and they think of this as home and feel an attachment they didn’t previously, and when there are concerts and the flats are full and this is part of the national fabric, that’s the day I’m looking forward to"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... anted.html

Cross promotion, as noted before. With a tentative plan to increase capacity to 66K plus (in fact 66,763 according to a FOI response from Sean Whetstone), then Westfield tie in will be key.