Comparable views

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: Comparable views

Post by Big George »

danm79 wrote:Firstly have to say I found the people at the reservation centre helpful but what they have done to the existing fans is terrible - I have gone from front row of the East to row 63 at the OS.

I expect it will take a season or 2 for the natural balance of the stadium to be found (people moving around) but was hoping to get a better choice of seat.

They were saying the waiting list is over the maximum by 8000 and I saw about 15 people enquire while visiting the reversation centre today, I think there maybe a few fans planning on making a few quid by booking extra kids seats ready to sell on - if this is the case I hope the club stop this.

I found out today why this is happening, they are allocating appointments for seats at the OS by blocks rather than by rows. So if you are a centre block by in the back row, you will have first dibs on the seats in your band ahead of the front rows in the slightly off centre blocks. They then move outwards and do the same. By the time you get to the end blocks, they are all being shoved towards the back of the upper tier. It's a crap system and is screwing over band 2s in the chicken run. If you are level with the 18 yard line all the STHs further in will have priority even in the upper tier.

I have loads more info I will post later or tomorrow if I don't have the time tonight in a separate thead.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I went to the Stadio Olimpico in Rome last week. Watched a game in a near empty stadium so thought I'd have a walk around it and check it out from all the different potential seating positions.

Dunno how it would translate in comparison to the OS in London but I thought it was pretty good from nearly everywhere. The only place you'd be vaguely unhappy was very low down behind the goal as the running track was at it's most prominent here and with the advertising boards and people around the perimeter of the pitch viewing wasn't always agreeable. Wouldn't have a problem paying for a season ticket anywhere else there though.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

fjthegrey wrote:I went to the Stadio Olimpico in Rome last week. Watched a game in a near empty stadium so thought I'd have a walk around it and check it out from all the different potential seating positions.

Dunno how it would translate in comparison to the OS in London but I thought it was pretty good from nearly everywhere. The only place you'd be vaguely unhappy was very low down behind the goal as the running track was at it's most prominent here and with the advertising boards and people around the perimeter of the pitch viewing wasn't always agreeable. Wouldn't have a problem paying for a season ticket anywhere else there though.

Watched Lazio there last Nov and was in cheap seats next to ultras fairly low down wasn't to shabby a view and they created a great atmosphere with 34K so don't see why we can't
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 420 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

taffhammer wrote:I think they were worried about selling enough so offered the option of bringing two newbies.They have shot themselves in the foot with the current band 3 and 4's. They should have sold to current season ticket holders first then after if you wanted to bring newcomers you could redo your application and sit with your new ticket holders. What the last people in the band 4's will be left with will in my opinion be miles away.
All existing season ticket holders should've been dealt with before new applicants. Had I wanted to buy as a newbie then I'd have expected that.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Rumour has it when they transferred from vouchers to entry cards, they lost all the customer history data. In terms of loyalty, it only exists from about 10 years ago.

Comparable views? I had to go from Band 2 to Band 1 to get anything like a view that I have today. I am literally an aisle away from Band 1 now, but thankfully we know people "on the other side" who got us an earlier appointment.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

That shouldn't cause too much of a problem in terms of looking after all existing season ticket holders first. It seems they've grossly misunderestimated demand for the +1 or +2 applicants and now loyal fans have been shafted.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

btajim - mcfc wrote:That shouldn't cause too much of a problem in terms of looking after all existing season ticket holders first. It seems they've grossly misunderestimated demand for the +1 or +2 applicants and now loyal fans have been shafted.
is the right answer

in the hope of pulling in extra supporters, who will probably f*** off after a season if they get bored, they have risked pissing off the lifeblood of the club...those who have been going for 5, 10, 15..20 years plus...loyally, through all the ****

I think its a ****ing disgrace

im being seen on the 23rd...ive had a season ticket for 23 years...I live 250 miles away...im not happy that im literally one of the last to be seen
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

cockney farmer wrote:Watched Lazio there last Nov and was in cheap seats next to ultras fairly low down wasn't to shabby a view and they created a great atmosphere with 34K so don't see why we can't
:fsake:
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

btajim - mcfc wrote:That shouldn't cause too much of a problem in terms of looking after all existing season ticket holders first. It seems they've grossly misunderestimated demand for the +1 or +2 applicants and now loyal fans have been shafted.
Massively...

I know of people who have had to upgrade bands to get a comparable view, as well as a seat with their mates.

Likewise groups have had to go from lower tier behind the goal to upper tier (they're in for a shock), again just to stick in a group with their current mates...

Band 4's have been proper shafted...
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Proper way to do it by number of years, if they records go back 10yrs then way not use them

How did they do it at Arsenal ?

Although they had had a massive ST waiting list for many years
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Pop Robson wrote: How did they do it at Arsenal ?
We're using the Arsenal model .

Brady promised tenure would count at a SAB meeting and never delivered on it .No shock there .
NorthBankAlliance wrote: Band 4's have been proper shafted...
I think I may have mentioned that was going to happen about three years ago .I'll check my notes .

I don't think there has been a football ground relocation in history where the fans have been happy with the process .

It's why the supporters should have been a lot more vocal prior to any deal getting done , sadly most of us are too old, too arthritic to jump around and protest too much these days .

Our voice will finally be heard when it isn't heard .One relegation would suffice to see that happen .
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

frankiemac wrote:in the hope of pulling in extra supporters, who will probably **** off after a season if they get bored, they have risked pissing off the lifeblood of the club...those who have been going for 5, 10, 15..20 years plus...loyally, through all the ****

I think its a ****ing disgrace

im being seen on the 23rd...ive had a season ticket for 23 years...I live 250 miles away...im not happy that im literally one of the last to be seen
Agree with your post.

As for being one of the last ones to be seen, I'm in the same boat. If there's no other option but to have a worse view than you had at Upton Park, just wait until those supporters who get bored of the novelty to f*** off and then renew in their seats!

Are you upgrading to Band 3 at the OS for a comparable view out of interest?
beckton

Post by beckton »

Pop Robson wrote:Proper way to do it by number of years, if they records go back 10yrs then way not use them

My ex-brother-in-law put his son on the Arsenal waiting list as a birthday present. He was about 44,000th on the list.
He had the shock of his life when a year later they phoned him to to tell him they had a seat available! :lol:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Rocketron »

]
Pop Robson wrote:Proper way to do it by number of years, if they records go back 10yrs then way not use them

[quote="beckton"
My ex-brother-in-law put his son on the Arsenal waiting list as a birthday present. He was about 44,000th on the list.
He had the shock of his life when a year later they phoned him to to tell him they had a seat available! :lol:[/quote]

Just shared on face ache.
I urge many more to do the same.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

From memory, City moved everyone to an equivalent seat and then remaining season tickets went on general sale. You could request a different area too. The new East Stand at the then COMS was bigger than the old Kippax so there wasn't this problem.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It doesn't warrant a thread of its own, so this one is the nearest I could think of.

Have you Googled (other tax dodgers are available) your block in the new stadium?

I did last night and was surprised to find three or four posts from people who have sat there for athletics or rugby and posted their experiences. Suffice it to say I'm rather chuffed with their comments.