Comparable views

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Comparable views

Post by AlfieG »

Here we go again..... Its just people who didnt want to move that are moaning.....? Bla, bla, bla...

I think you are choosing to ignore what it is that some people are objecting to in this process HD HM. Its not just about viewing distances.

Westbourne Bill is an example....

He said, I've gone from the very front row of the west upper, in line with the penalty spot and band 2 to.......about 12 rows back in the equilavent upper tier of the new east stand. I'm now just outside the penalty area admittedly but much further away....with a band 1 price tag.

So he is paying more for less. As you know one of the main reasons for this is because the club decided to sell the prime seats, previously occupied by long term ST holders at the Boleyn to corporate/ lounge using buyers before the band 1's even got invited to the reservation centre....

The domino effect will be that people will not be in a seat that is comparable (in position) to what they currently have. The club have reduced their prices for bands 3 and 4. Why? Because they know that there will be nothing comparable about seat positions with the two grounds...

As you say, most people know that the distances will be longer. Too long for some people asked to pay some of the highest prices in the PL.

If you are happy with it all, good for you.

Why shouldn't they air their disappointment? The club have been economical with the truth as we all know.

The rest will see whats eventually offered to them, make their opinions known and long may that continue.

:scarfer:
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

hadleighhammer wrote:
Going to get one of the Band 5 STs up the back of the upper tier then or sticking with your upgrade? The views no worse, just "different".
Again those against using extremes to back up a point

I have stated that moving from lower to upper will not be comparable, hence why I said it was a bad choice of word used, although I think this will be a minority that don't have the choice to stay in the same tier as they are in now if they want to.

Some may fancy a different view not everyone will want or need to be in the exact same place they are now

However if you currently sit in the upper and get a seat in the upper at the OS then I believe it is fair to use the word comparable and those seats offer a good view

The front rows of the East upper maybe slightly different if I'm honest as its a low upper tier in itself
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I'm half expecting the club to wheel out a spokesman to say that 'Comparable' means nothing more than 'Capable of comparison'. He will then say the comparison doesn't have to be favourable, just that a comparison can be made. "It's possible to compare Matt Jarvis with Dimitri Payet", he said.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

MD_HM wrote:
Comparable
It's down to interpretation and there lies the problem

And those against the move from the start are just using it as the "viewing distance" must be comparable which any one with half a brain cell always knew that the distances would be further away.
I think you missing the point, for example i am pro the move as we have to accept football has changed and lets move along with what its going to become.

But it has to be right. Comparable is have the same band sections in the Olympic stadium as the Boleyn.If you drew a line from the edges of all the bands at the Boleyn to the pitch then thats where the bands should have started and finished at the new stadium. If you didn't do plus 2's then even with the corprates we could have all got what we wanted.Yes you'd be further from the pitch but in the same row as before. They announce to the press price reductions and a new band 5 and revelled in the publicty but didn't tell the press the whole story.
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

AlfieG wrote:Here we go again..... Its just people who didnt want to move that are moaning.....? Bla, bla, bla...

I think you are choosing to ignore what it is that some people are objecting to in this process HD HM. Its not just about viewing distances.

Westbourne Bill is an example....

He said, I've gone from the very front row of the west upper, in line with the penalty spot and band 2 to.......about 12 rows back in the equilavent upper tier of the new east stand. I'm now just outside the penalty area admittedly but much further away....with a band 1 price tag.

:
That's a great example

So he has gone 12 rows back but moves further central

That is bloody comparable!!!

A lot more than what I was offered at mine, seriously I was offered around 35 rows back in the upper tier when I currently sit in the lower

I'd have sympathy for really dramatic changes (like what I was offered) but the example above is probably one of the most comparable examples I've seen so far
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

MD_HM wrote: I have stated that moving from lower to upper will not be comparable, hence why I said it was a bad choice of word used, although I think this will be a minority that don't have the choice to stay in the same tier as they are in now if they want to.
Looks like all the Band 4s look like they're getting stuck in the Upper Tier.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

MD_HM wrote: in line with the penalty spot and band 2 to...... but much further away....with a band 1 price tag.

That's a great example

So he has gone 12 rows back but moves further central

That is bloody comparable!!!
How so ? he's gone only 12 rows back but is now in a band 1 seat.
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

Wouldn't it be band 3 in the upper and band 4 in the lower just like now?

Band 3 probably filling the corners

Why would the OS not follow the same

MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

taffhammer wrote:
How so ? he's gone only 12 rows back but is now in a band 1 seat.[/quote]

Apologies I didn't notice that he didn't pay attention to the prices whilst picking the seats, what was offered at band 2 then?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

MD_HM wrote:Wouldn't it be band 3 in the upper and band 4 in the lower just like now?

Money.

If there were 54,000 applications for 'Band 1' seats they would have sold 54,000 'Band 1' seats, no matter where they were physically located.

"You want a Band 1 seat, this is a Band 1 seat"
Cottee
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Post by Cottee »

I'm band 2, currently 12 rows back between goal line and six yard box in the west lower. Was offered lower tier seats at the appointment but having gone to have a look beforehand at the rugby it was evident straight away that kids won't see a thing in the lower tier, my son tried six different seats and couldn't see past the head in front each time, he's nearly 9 and pretty tall for his age as well. So we had no choice but to go upper.

I've had to go from this

To this

Really not happy at all. The row next to me would have been band 3, with much better seats available lower down but of course they're out of bounds to me and I'd have the same problem if I waited until the end of that process. Had it not been for my son, I wouldn't have bothered at all.

I really hope they employ more ticket office staff next year because the demand for seat changes is going to be ridiculous at the end of next season.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

MD_HM wrote:Wouldn't it be band 3 in the upper and band 4 in the lower just like now?

Because they didn't tell us where the bands were because they won't know till they have sold the most expensive tickets.Which screws us over in band 4. The side lowers will be sold out to band 2/ maybe 3 and there is only one end of lower tier seats available to purchase ( if it is..we don't know yet it could be band 3 ) and the other end is for away fans and day tickets.
Therefore you have to fit all current band 4 season ticket holders into the north end lower.....which is impossible so we are up in the gods. Any band 4 might as well get a band 5 £289 ticket, you might be next to a band 4 season ticket holder.
Chris BMU
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chris BMU »

Yep I reckon there are a lot of stories like yours, Cottee. They shouldn't have done the plus twos, I suspect they have sold many more than they thought and it is having a major impact on locations for every band.

What row is your seat? Anyone know what the highest row to be sold is?
Cottee

Post by Cottee »

Chris BMU wrote:Yep I reckon there are a lot of stories like yours, Cottee. They shouldn't have done the plus twos, I suspect they have sold many more than they thought and it is having a major impact on locations for every band.

Row 58 which is the furthest down with three seats next to an aisle as I have now. That's the other thing, those in an aisle now are guaranteed an aisle seat but the lack of actual aisle seats available was ridiculous considering it's a bigger stadium, so my guess is they're giving those away to anyone that wants one as well.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I really hope they employ more ticket office staff next year because the demand for seat changes is going to be ridiculous at the end of next season.

Thanks Cottee...you have realised my suspicions ref the gradient on the lower tiers. What row number are you in there please mate?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

wonderful to know that the seats closest to the pitch will be half filled with tagalongs and family friends; and that's when anyone is sitting in there at all.
Cottee

Post by Cottee »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I really hope they employ more ticket office staff next year because the demand for seat changes is going to be ridiculous at the end of next season.

Thanks Cottee...you have realised my suspicions ref the gradient on the lower tiers. What row number are you in there please mate?

With regards to the rake of the lower tier, it's a real shame as from halfway to the back row the views are actually pretty good, I'd have been happy with one of those.

However, A) They only had seats in the front half of the lower tier where the view isn't so great, and B) it was a complete non-starter because of the kids. They struggle to see as it is in the West Lower sometimes depending on who's in front of us, at the rugby though he just couldn't see beyond the heads in front at all. It would be ok if there's another kid in front but you can't take that gamble.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Band 1 or Band 2

eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Cottee wrote:[
Row 58 which is the furthest down with three seats next to an aisle as I have now. That's the other thing, those in an aisle now are guaranteed an aisle seat but the lack of actual aisle seats available was ridiculous considering it's a bigger stadium, so my guess is they're giving those away to anyone that wants one as well.[/quote]

Hi Cottee
I will be taking a plump cushion for my kid that is for sure!! :crest:
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by danm79 »

Firstly have to say I found the people at the reservation centre helpful but what they have done to the existing fans is terrible - I have gone from front row of the East to row 63 at the OS.

I expect it will take a season or 2 for the natural balance of the stadium to be found (people moving around) but was hoping to get a better choice of seat.

They were saying the waiting list is over the maximum by 8000 and I saw about 15 people enquire while visiting the reversation centre today, I think there maybe a few fans planning on making a few quid by booking extra kids seats ready to sell on - if this is the case I hope the club stop this.