France v Romania, Wednesday

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Re: France v Romania, Wednesday

Post by MD_HM »

wizzo_66 wrote:
To be fair mate, you've more of an agenda with your 'I'm all right, Jack' attitude towards fellow supporters that are pointing out valid flaws in the process.

I agree with you that transport links are excellent...but we can disagree with some clear evidence rather than all this agenda, desperation etc comments.

I'm yet to see anyone politely respond with any evidence to the issues around migration which show the whole process to be flawed for our most loyal of supporters.
I've not said the migration process doesn't have flaws; in fact the opposite I think the way they have done it is pretty **** on long renewing season ticket holders, it's wrong they did it on band only and not length of service and when I went for my appointment I was very disappointed with the options I was offered in my band, they were not comparable at all.

So have been very critical of the part of the move.

I don't really have too much of a view on transport links either, I think the food and drink currently available is awful so imagine a wider a better quality option will be available at the OS.

My only real gripe is on the subject of views and it's been consistent since the start and nothing to do with the tickets I've ended up getting.

I went to a pre-Olympic event in the stadium, went to the back of the East upper to see what that was like and have based all my opinions of the views from having been there early on.

So can't help feel strongly when I hear people that haven't been say the views won't be good enough or if someone that doesn't have an eyesight problem say they can't see the action as I know this not to be fair.

I also feel that we need to understand that a much bigger stadium will be different to the ground we are leaving behind; some things I'm sure will be missed and some things better but it will never be "the same"

On the whole it has been very encouraging reading all the positive reviews over the last two nights and I apologise for getting wound up by the minority negative posts
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

I think that you're being unfair. I have been there and I know the problems. The over optimists who decrie those who bring up the issues are doing the club and supporters a re real disservice.

I went with kids and the queues and transport options were awful. If you're a single bloke on your own you can duck and weave your way around the queues and get a shift on when they blow the final whistle. We're a group of 13, 7 of those are kids. It's a nightmare and they don't seem to have an answer.

In addition one of our number (who hasn't been) have severe difficulty walking after being left for dead by a hit and run driver a few years ago. At the moment he gets the tune tube to Plastiw, has a beer and then gets a cab to the gates. I don't know how he is going to cope with the crush and walk to the stadium from the tube. Is suspect he'll have to bin his ticket.

I agree with you about the food inside the Boleyn. It's rubbish and expensive. I choose not to eat or drink inside the ground. However at the OS, we won't have that choice. You will be a captive market. They have provided expensive crap formula to eat at the Boleyn, it's not going to be any different if there is less choice for punters.

We're in band 4, apparently the family stand will be the last to be called for appointments so the chances are we'll be up in the gods rather than four rows from the front like we are now.

Just accepting what were being handed down really isn't a good enough answer. Unless we challenge the bad things happening it's going to be a disaster come August. By then it will be too late, but at least you had been "positive" eh?
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

MD_HM wrote:
My only real gripe is on the subject of views and it's been consistent since the start and nothing to do with the tickets I've ended up getting.

I went to a pre-Olympic event in the stadium, went to the back of the East upper to see what that was like and have based all my opinions of the views from having been there early on.
I too have been to the rugby, sat in the upper tier and think the view is too far away and therefore not good. Yet you seem to take umbridge to this opinion.I'd say you have an " agenda" .
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

clawhammer wrote:We were told the views would be ****. No they aren't.
In your opinion, not in everyone who's been there.

But you and your +2 Johnny Come Latelys are alright as you get your pick of the seats. Why not get a Band 5 at the back of the Upper if the view is fine? Save yourself a good few £100s.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

hadleighhammer wrote:
The vast majority of people who have visited the stadium have given a thumbs up to the views in both the upper and lower tiers. In fact, out of the hundreds of reviews I've heard and read I can't remember hardly any negative comments regarding the view
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

I don't understand all these gripes about poor transport links and food and drink options. Avoid the crowds in and around Westfield (it's always rammed at any time of the week) and head along Stratford High St and Carpenters Rd. It's a 20 minute walk to the stadium from Stratford station tops and there are loads of options for pubs and places to eat around the old Stratford shopping centre and high st. You could even get a cab to take you this route if you have disability issues. They have to keep this route open on match days surely (they did for the rugby).

Who ever eats and drinks in the ground anyway ?
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Like you say its all about opinions, i don't like sitting at the back of the west stand in the Boleyn and would never buy a season ticket there, but people do. I like to read the posts in favour and against and with having been there will now know what they offer me at the reservation center will decide wether i take up my option of a season ticket.Its important people post pros and cons in forums so others can weigh up the facts ( yes facts MD ) and make their own choices when they can and buy a season ticket. So can posters stop shooting the messengers for and against .
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by OllyWHU6 »

hadleighhammer wrote:

But you and your +2 Johnny Come Latelys are alright as you get your pick of the seats. Why not get a Band 5 at the back of the Upper if the view is fine? Save yourself a good few £100s.

Having been and seen the inside, that's exactly what i plan on doing. Maybe not Band 5, but no higher than Band 4. The views are good from the whole way around. My bigger concern is the lack of designated areas for atmosphere, and standing/singing fans. It's idealistic to think any of the current West Stand will want to stand for 90 mins so there should have been a clear section designed for this. Especially as the ground holds sound quite well, if we got the noise up and coming it would reverberate really well. It's a shame, as ES1/2, BML and STBL all have standing sections but as they're different Bands they won't be able to move towards each other. Throw in the +2s which i agree with you about, and that's as a non-season ticket holder, and it dilutes even further.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

monkeyhanger wrote:I don't understand all these gripes about poor transport links and food and drink options. Avoid the crowds in and around Westfield (it's always rammed at any time of the week) and head along Stratford High St and Carpenters Rd. It's a 20 minute walk to the stadium from Stratford station tops and there are loads of options for pubs and places to eat around the old Stratford shopping centre and high st. You could even get a cab to take you this route if you have disability issues. They have to keep this route open on match days surely (they did for the rugby).

Who ever eats and drinks in the ground anyway ?
We'll certainly explore routes but it took me half an hour to get to the bridge by the aquatics centre and another 20 plus minutes until I was through the turnstile on the SW Corner. As I said, if I was on my own it would be quicker, but I'm not

I'm coming from east on the central line, I'm struggling to see what options I have that won't add ages to
My journey. Coming out of Stratford station, waking down Carpenters Rd makes little sense.

No-one wats or drinks In the ground, but I'm struggling to see what the options are. Get to Statford at 11 and try and find a pub that accepts kids and isn't too rammed. If there's a can option for my mate that's great. He can save his energy to walk to row 60 in the upper tier.

Pretend it's all ok is just silly, it's not. But blinding yourself to the troubles you're letting the club off the hook.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

useable size: http://s14.postimg.org/qthujda8x/120321 ... 4444_n.jpg

Of course you could always detour to a pub on the way.

I've done an FOI request with the LLDC to ensure they dont intend to close of access via the rail bridge on match days.
Last edited by gavrosh on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Not being from the area I may be barking up the wrong tree, but how long would it take to walk along the Greenway from West Ham tube? Is it feasible?
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Not being from the area I may be barking up the wrong tree, but how long would it take to walk along the Greenway from West Ham tube? Is it feasible?
25/30 minutes. Depends on access to the Greenway via the Park; currently its shut due to Crossrail work going on. At the moment you have to walk down pudding mill lane and turn LEFT onto stratford high street to get to it.

EDIT
Last edited by gavrosh on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Thanks gavrosh, that's about the same time it takes me to walk to Canning Town after a game now. It's fun after an evening game playing last train roulette at Waterloo.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

hadleighhammer wrote: clawhammer"]We were told the views would be ****. No they aren't.

My group of 4 have 50 years of ST and many more before then between us. We will not have any plus 2s. You?
The views are fine ...better than I expected...the views of those who have actually been ...see the beginning of this thread before the knockers joined in....are overwhelmingly positive. There are things you can criticise but most are due to the problems of any large sporting venue. No real difference to Twickenham or Wembley
except our transport links are better.
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

Big George wrote:I'm coming from east on the central line, I'm struggling to see what options I have that won't add ages to my journey. Coming out of Stratford station, waking down Carpenters Rd makes little sense.
I come in east on the Central line too mate and you just need to get out of the tube on the platform on the bus station side at Stratford and follow the route Gavrosh has helpfully supplied. I've done this route to the stadium twice now and believe me it is the quickest and can be done in around 15/20 minutes. Much better than getting log jammed with the crowds around and through Westfield.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Post by hadleighhammer »

OllyWHU6 wrote: My bigger concern is the lack of designated areas for atmosphere, and standing/singing fans. It's idealistic to think any of the current West Stand will want to stand for 90 mins so there should have been a clear section designed for this. Especially as the ground holds sound quite well, if we got the noise up and coming it would reverberate really well. It's a shame, as ES1/2, BML and STBL all have standing sections but as they're different Bands they won't be able to move towards each other. Throw in the +2s which i agree with you about, and that's as a non-season ticket holder, and it dilutes even further.
All correct. People seem to see this "Kop" and think well that'll make loads of noise, forgetting its mostly designated for Band 1s or over, all with their +2s who couldn't be bothered to go at the moment, and for those that do go currently they are part of the funeral section of the BG. Fair enough if you don't want to stand or sing we all enjoy the game in different ways, but lets not pretend once we move to the OS that will all change and all the Band 1s who currently generally sit in silence will be having a disco in there.

As you say, what makes it worse is the noiser Band 4s currently generally stand lower tier behind the goals or East Stand next to the away fans, are going to be, at best, mostly shunted to sit in the Upper tier with no STHs near the away fans behind the goals. The club couldn't give a **** about atmosphere. First couple of defeats at home to Leicester and Bournemouth and the excitement will soon wear off...
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Post by hadleighhammer »

clawhammer wrote: My group of 4 have 50 years of ST and many more before then between us. We will not have any plus 2s. You?
All currently STHs and were before this current season? I thought you were bringing a load who couldn't make it the last few seasons at the BG and this showed why the OS was great for expending our fan base? Maybe it was someone else I'm thinking of.

I won't be bothering myself let alone bringing any +2 Johnny Come Latelys! Stick to the away games instead. See you there I'm sure.
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

I accept your apology. Don't forget STHs get first dibs on away games.
Seriously I think you are making a big mistake. I am sure you love the Hammers as much as me. I am more than ever convinced that things will actually be better all round at the OS and if you don't get your ticket fir next season you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. The more dyed in the wool Hammers who know our history and culture the better. I don't want to be surrounded by plastics any more than you!
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

My first visit to the OS on Wednesday, went with a French bloke I know. Seats were in row 78 of the east stand. Second from the back.

Warning to anyone up there for our games, do not fill up with beer! I had three visits to the loo and felt the need to take on oxygen when returning to my seat. My legs certainly felt the burn.

View was better that I expected although not as good as Cardiff, where I also had a seat at the back. However, I think that the floodlights helped with the view.

I don't think that the drink outlets will be the same for our games . The bitter and stout bar was just a table with some boxes of beer behind it.

Having said that, I don't drink inside the Boleyn Ground and have no intention of drinking inside the OS.
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: France v Romania tonight @ OS

Post by AlfieG »

mywhufc wrote:big thankd to Ooh look who it is for sorting me a ticket,
i sat row 57 East stand, on the corner flag
my 1st thought was impressive stadium, the view was like ive had at wembley, problem is you rely on the screens to see sometimes whats going on, which for me defeats the object of being in the ground.
i can now understand why many are excited about the move, but for me personally it was not right.
its a sanitised stadium, and the area around the area the stadium has that feel as well, and it will IMHO lead to sanitised football experience. if that is the future im not sure how long i will last.
Nail right on the head there mywhufc....... :thup:

That is exactly how I felt about the OS experience.

Because of the distances, you find yourself watching the screens instead of the game itself.

Bigger is different..... Im really not sure it is any better though.

(Before anyone asks..... Yes, I have been in there twice).