outside the stadium on match days

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

outside the stadium on match days

Post by Ben »

does anyone know what plans there are for outside the stadium on match days?

I went there the other day and it will be a nice place to set up for the morning before a game if the weather is good, lots of seating/benches, grass down by the water etc so they should look to getting some bits going on, i reckon some huts to allow small businesses to sell stuff like the rib man, maybe an indipendent pie and mash seller, memorabillia etc, make it feel more west ham - its a really nice space but like someone said it's just a bit bland as is.
any ideas?

little football goals would be good for kids to muck about on too
NorthBankAlliance

Re: outside the stadium on match days

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Running battles with the away support should liven it up...
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Nope, none of that. Vinci/ LLDC will want as much money to go to the catering company inside the stadium.

The rib man was looking at a plot in the Here East buildings (the old broadcast centre north of the stadium). There'll be some places there and some places in the International Quarter theyre building, but they'll be very corporatised.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

shame, would be really good to get some indi stuff going on and create some kind of identity on the place that isnt just plastic/shiny and new etc
could get some really good stuff going there, a bar boat, BBQs down by the water etc
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

gavrosh wrote:Nope, none of that. Vinci/ LLDC will want as much money to go to the catering company inside the stadium.

The rib man was looking at a plot in the Here East buildings (the old broadcast centre north of the stadium). There'll be some places there and some places in the International Quarter theyre building, but they'll be very corporatised.
What is preventing the catering company to set up stalls outside ?

Just an example (I've used it time and time again but I feel it fits perfect), Hertha BSC. Before and after the game you can hang around near the stadium where there's plenty of stalls for food, drinks, merchandise,...

Or is it because of a law against drinking around a stadium or so ?
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:
What is preventing the catering company to set up stalls outside ?

Just an example (I've used it time and time again but I feel it fits perfect), Hertha BSC. Before and after the game you can hang around near the stadium where there's plenty of stalls for food, drinks, merchandise,...

Or is it because of a law against drinking around a stadium or so ?
They have vans outside Wembley selling overpriced beer.

One of the things I did love about the Stadium exterior from when I was there in 2012 was the grass areas and drink points near the canal overlooking the Aquatics Centre. I would love to see something similar for when we move in,
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Ben wrote:could get some really good stuff going there, a bar boat, BBQs down by the water etc
I did see a bar boat down on the river Sunday. Didn't check it out but it was open and draped with a big banner!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Tailgating over the river and then walk to the game
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Sunderland are operating a Fanzone this season. It reminds me of a smaller version of what Wembley do for the NFL games, (and is very popular):

http://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2015 ... 6-fan-zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the space we have, and the fantastic location by the Locks, I think it is certainly something that the club should look into. Also, I am sure the club could get it for nothing if they get sponsorship from Sky or one of the big Telecom giants,
Chris BMU
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chris BMU »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Sunderland are operating a Fanzone this season. It reminds me of a smaller version of what Wembley do for the NFL games, (and is very popular):

http://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2015 ... 6-fan-zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the space we have, and the fantastic location by the Locks, I think it is certainly something that the club should look into. Also, I am sure the club could get it for nothing if they get sponsorship from Sky or one of the big Telecom giants,
May also help ease the pain of the likely loss of the supporters club?