Brady admits we will pay more for higher than tenth finish

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Brady admits we will pay more for higher than tenth finish

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Jinxed is a reliable ITK. If you've been reading what he's been saying in the Rodgers thread then it seems that paying more for higher finishes won't be an issue.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

PP, thus far you have taken the stance that most of the talk of the move is engineered or fabricated by those inside the club, to make the deal look fabulous for West Ham. Then they make the negative comment about paying extra for Premier League places and cup runs and you take it as 100% gospel.

Surely to pay up to 'many millions' we would have to win the league/cup, which at that point, would we really care about those 'many millions'? Also, do you honestly think that we would pay more than the £2m/£2.5m rent then we are paying as an extra payment, at least doubling the rent for that particular year?

My guess (as with everyone else on here) is that if we were to win the league then the payment would be at most £2m/£2.5m, or in Karen's words, many millions.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Fishbone wrote:PP, thus far you have taken the stance that most of the talk of the move is engineered or fabricated by those inside the club, to make the deal look fabulous for West Ham. Then they make the negative comment about paying extra for Premier League places and cup runs and you take it as 100% gospel.
Actually fishbone I take it as a clever piece of PR spin by Brady .

Consider the context : Two rival London clubs are seeking to rent Wembley Stadium for a season while they redevelop their own grounds .Those clubs are trying to use the West Ham deal at Stratford to establish a "market" rate .Their point being if they are being asked to pay £10m to rent Wembley then WHU should be paying far more for Stratford , otherwise it's state aid .To avoid a big fight , pressure gets applied to the FA and they reduce the rental fee and those two clubs get what they really want .

Brady's comment , without being too precise helps stuff those two clubs .

Secondly, it is designed to take the rising heat out of the argument that WHU have turned the taxpayer over somehow .It's offering, again without being too specific , potentially higher income .That then causes the people who are complaining the taxpayer got a bad deal to calm down .Takes the wind out of their sails .

Having said all of that, I believe Jinxed comments are the ones that are the real driving force behind the Brady remarks .
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

So why the big post about being left behind by our rivals and money coming out of the transfer budget?

I certainly agree with some of what you have just posted and releasing this redacted information is an attempt to quieten down some quarters, but I personally believe that the 'many millions' that Brady mentions wouldn't cover Andy Carroll's yearly salary, even if we were to win the league.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Fishbone wrote:So why the big post about being left behind by our rivals and money coming out of the transfer budget?
Written before the latest bit of the jigsaw was revealed .It assumed no change in club ownership .
Fishbone wrote: I certainly agree with some of what you have just posted and releasing this redacted information is an attempt to quieten down some quarters, but I personally believe that the 'many millions' that Brady mentions wouldn't cover Andy Carroll's yearly salary, even if we were to win the league.
Maybe, maybe not but there was little ambiguity about the "hundreds of millions " was there , hence the ownership issue .
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Karren Brady wrote:There have also been some ill-informed suggestions that my two Chairmen, David Sullivan and David Gold, plan to sell the Club as soon as we move to Stratford. Having worked with them for nearly 25 years, I can tell you that nothing is further from the truth.
I believe you Karren. They won't sell as soon as we move. We'll be sold before we move...
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

the pink palermo wrote:Are you happy with the club having structured a deal whereby we achieve significantly diminishing returns based upon performance ? Tenth place is over the course of history our average league finish , and it appears the Board have capped our ambition at that .

Cup runs ? Costs us more .
High league position ? Costs us more .
This is only correct if by some unfathomable reason the owners and Karren Brady agreed to pay more for each place (or extra cup date) than they expected to take in.

Otherwise what you're arguing is the equivalent of suggesting someone wouldn't ever want to earn more than £10,000 in salary per year because every time they get a pay rise they're at risk of going into a higher tax bracket.

If we finish 3 places higher than 10th, under the new deal that's something like £8m in extra income just from the TV rights. Wouldn't have a clue what the percentage they've agreed is, but it would have to be the equivalent of £8,000,001 and upwards for it not to be in the owner's financial interest to finish 10th rather than 7th.

As a rough yardstick, given we seem to be paying £2.5m in rent a year for finishing tenth or under, you'd have to assume - short some sort of suicide wish - that the percentage they've agreed for each additional place must only be a fraction of that baseline figure.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Of course it'll be a fraction of the TV money (which at the time remember was itself a fraction of what the TV money is now), and a very small fraction of the financial leg-up the deal will bring for the club.
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

-DL- wrote:I believe you Karren. They won't sell as soon as we move. We'll be sold before we move...
If that's the case, the flack we're taking now will be nothing compared to what's to come. Can you imagine the headlines?

I can't see it happening for that very reason, assuming there even is an interested party waiting in the wings. The more likely outcome for me is a partial sale (say under 50%) but not before we've moved.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

I believe that a fair chunk of the club is still held by the Icelandic asset manager Straumur? If there were a serious party wishing to take over the club I reckon they'd start with that 35%, buy the other minor shareholders other 5% out and then aim to get an option on the shares of Gold and Sullivan as and when the taxpayer clawback period ends. That way they could invest further while a minority shareholder in the knowledge that they had a strike price on purchase that discounted the club from its enhanced future value thanks to increased investment on the part of the minority shareholder.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

dplus91 wrote: If that's the case, the flack we're taking now will be nothing compared to what's to come. Can you imagine the headlines?
I don't think G&S would care about the headlines once the cheque clears...
dplus91 wrote: I can't see it happening for that very reason, assuming there even is an interested party waiting in the wings. The more likely outcome for me is a partial sale (say under 50%) but not before we've moved.
I can, despite that reason. I've been predicting this for quite a while now.

EXCLUSIVE: DAVID GOLD, DAVID SULLIVAN AND HIS TWO SONS AFTER SELLING WEST HAM

Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I can't believe that GS&B would walk into a bad deal. They are some cute hoors when it comes to business. So I must assume this is a good deal

Good for West Ham and........................or GS&B?

However, I think Bradys "hugher than 10th" angle was a PR spin.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:Secondly, it is designed to take the rising heat out of the argument that WHU have turned the taxpayer over somehow .It's offering, again without being too specific , potentially higher income .That then causes the people who are complaining the taxpayer got a bad deal to calm down .Takes the wind out of their sails .
Perhaps they should have stated the rental amount in a similar manner to how some transfer fees for players are stated - there's a headline amount and typically not mentioned is that this amount depends upon number of appearances and Champions League participation. They should have said that the annual rent was £15m - and somewhere in the small print was that this depended upon Champions League knock-out stage participation and using the stadium for 35 matches a season.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

I don't think this is the price of success but more like the cost of having a rent decrease if we are in the Champo. If we want to be protected from downside then we'll have to forgo some potential upside as well.