Brady admits we will pay more for higher than tenth finish

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Brady admits we will pay more for higher than tenth finish

Post by the pink palermo »

If the club finishes higher than 10th , described by Karren as "many millions" , and also the amount Gold and Sullivan would have to pay if they sold up would run to "hundreds of millions" .
devtobrooking wrote:There was a statement earlier up on the official site from KB which was pulled. Anyway, not before Google cached it :http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk
I wonder how much higher the rent goes ? What does "many millions" really mean ?

This was a rumour a month or so back but this is the first time I've seen Karren confirm it .

Sorry to post it in here mods but I feel this is a key issue given the reason behind the move was to boost the clubs income .
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Brady admits we will pay more for the stadium

Post by prophet:marginal »

There's also a hint, from Sulli, iirc, that, if we are playing cup matches, they require a large down payment from the club, by way of an additional lease cost, before the match is played.

The kids, it is, then, again.

:|
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Mods, you may as well merge it with the documents thread , credit to devtobrooking for being quick off the mark for spotting the story on the official site . :thup:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Brady's redacted piece is still available on westhamonline should any of you feel brave enough to venture on there. Also on the skyscrapercity page.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If what Lady Brady said in her rapidly removed piece is true, namely that finishing higher than tenth will cost the club plenty, I just hope an unlikely end of season defeat possibly involving an own goal or two doesn't keep us in eleventh place. The victors would naturally avoid relegation on the back of it, condemning an unlucky but litigious club to the nether leagues.

M'learned friends will be putting new batteries in Lord Griffiths.
Chris BMU
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Brady admits we will pay more for higher than tenth finish

Post by Chris BMU »

This is really stretching to try to find negatives. Each club gets "millions" more for each higher league place. Last year it was £1.25m per place, next year under the new TV deal it will be much more. So we agree a deal where we say we can't afford to pay much, but if we do better and earn more we will pay more. The better we do, the more we earn, and the better the taxpayer does too.

Sounds to me like a sensible deal and one in keeping with the political realities of the stadium's ownership (which, remember, we get to use having paid almost nothing for it).

Many outside the club moan that we are not paying enough, but on here we moan that we are paying too much. Marvellous. But you know what they say, if everyone is equally unhappy with a deal then it is probably about right.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

Chris BMU wrote:This is really stretching to try to find negatives.
Makes sense, but won't stop the "enemy within" on this site.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Ted Fenton wrote: Makes sense, but won't stop the "enemy within" on this site.
Come on Ted, man up, name some names .

Alternatively just accept that others have a different opinion to you and try not to post using sly digs .

Your choice .
Chris BMU wrote:This is really stretching to try to find negatives. Each club gets "millions" more for each higher league place. Last year it was £1.25m per place, next year under the new TV deal it will be much more. So we agree a deal where we say we can't afford to pay much, but if we do better and earn more we will pay more. The better we do, the more we earn, and the better the taxpayer does too.

Sounds to me like a sensible deal and one in keeping with the political realities of the stadium's ownership (which, remember, we get to use having paid almost nothing for it).
There is a flaw or two in your argument however .

1.David Gold is on record as saying in principle he is in favour of cheaper tickets but we as a club cannot act in isolation as it would impact on our ability to pay for players in the market place .

The more rent we pay the lower the income .......

2. Are you happy with the club having structured a deal whereby we achieve significantly diminishing returns based upon performance ? Tenth place is over the course of history our average league finish , and it appears the Board have capped our ambition at that .

Cup runs ? Costs us more .
High league position ? Costs us more .

It's against the very ethos of a competitive sport .
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Cup runs ? Costs us more .

Maybe she's worded it to make it sound like a hard luck story to those that want the deal made public ?
Surely the better you do in league and cups the more money you make so they would take a bit more in rent ? I wouldn't trust her at all but as this time her best interests are the same as the supporters is probally a great deal.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

taffhammer wrote: Maybe she's worded it to make it sound like a hard luck story to those that want the deal made public ?
I'm sure there is an element of back peddling from the "deal of the century" mantra .

It's P.R. spin, of course it is , but only to an extent . At the heart of this is the entire justification for the move was increased earning potential that would drive a better competitive position on the pitch .

The reality is we have surrendered any claim on naming rights, have an escalation clause in the rent , have shared a lot of the catering income and will be left with making more money from Corporate sales and ticket sales .In other words, the supporters .

Those same supporters will be watching from further away , and many will be paying more than they do now .

We've been sold a pup , deep down people know it .
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

I think that is's great that all those Charlton, Orient, Spurs and other supporters that want more money for the taxpayer will all be cheering us on to do well!
LondonTaxpayer

Post by LondonTaxpayer »

So as a taxpayer am I now a stakeholder in West Ham United? What happens in January if relegation is looming? Should the taxpayer invest in another striker to avoid relegation?

Theses performance clauses need to be tested. Can you imagine Arsenal doing a deal with financial backers for Ashburton Grove whereby the interest rate they paid was halved if they got relegated, or went up if they won the league?
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

As a tax payer too, I advise you to get a life!

Your bitterness about this will gobble you up.......

Move on. :asleep:
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

the pink palermo wrote:Cup runs ? Costs us more .

Yeah it's not like the manager or players earn more through bonuses if they do well, score loads of goals, win a cup or get promoted, finish in the top 4, win the league...oh wait.

Not to mention the better the club does, the more it earns, in every single competition. It's the very fabric of competitive sport, unfortunately.

Mountains. Making. Mole hills. Out. Of. :asleep:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Ha! I'd love to see how a discussion plays out between a CAST interloper and Pinky. Both miserable about the deal but for totally opposing reasons.
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

So all the outrage from the "taxpayers" that we had got too good a deal is now magnified because it is not so good. Can I say, as a taxpayer, that in the great scheme of things the amounts of money are minuscule either way. As a West Ham supporter who has just signed up for a great seat at £100 less than this year and watching the best squad for years I think things are going rather well t the moment. It seems like if we were being fed grapes by vestal virgins while watching the team winning the PL there would be somebody moaning that they are the wrong sort of grapes and Messi should have scored 5 instead of 4 goals.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

If there were outrage from taxpayers I'm sure that petition wouldnt be stuck at 25,000, and even to get there they had to get the BBC to do a totally biased documentary on it.
LondonTaxpayer

Post by LondonTaxpayer »

My gripe is not with West Ham but with how much the taxpayer, and probably West Ham, have invested in a big stadium that can sometimes be used for Athletics with no predicted financial return.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

It'll be a hell of a lot more predictable once the stadium sponsor is announced, which should be after the Rugby World Cup is over.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

clawhammer wrote: It seems like if we were being fed grapes by vestal virgins while watching the team winning the PL there would be somebody moaning that they are the wrong sort of grapes and Messi should have scored 5 instead of 4 goals.
We are more the slaves up the back row of the Coliseum than corpirates being feed grapes.