The Olympic Park & Sport in General

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

The Olympic Park & Sport in General

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Whilst no advocate of the move I am mightily impressed with the sports being put on show within the Olympic Park be it Hockey, Cycling, Rugby or the international Wheelchair Rugby on ITV 4 at the moment, hats off to all those responsible and keep up the good work, exciting times for sports fans in Essex and East London :thup:
StiffUpper
Total likes: 1 like

Re: The Olympic Park & Sport in General

Post by StiffUpper »

It's great for spectator and participation sport. I've now run in the stadium, cycled in the velodrome and used the Aquatic centre. Just fantastic.

The one sour point is that I believe 'South Lawn', the open space between the orbit and the railway line, will be built on for one of Boris's Olympicopolis buildings.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Is the Indoor Snow Dome / Ski Centre still happening??

Seems to have gone very quiet since it was announced a couple of years back:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/g ... 32116.html

:think:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

That was on land held by Westfield, currently mothballed in the south east corner of their site.

To be frank I think they've had second thoughts and will just expand the shopping centre, given how hugely successful its been.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Only barely relevant, and barely even important, but after watching some of the rugby recently you'd hope they eventually choose to fix the main tv cameras to the west stand looking toward the east rather than vice versa - that unbroken wall of people, even in long shots looks v. cool, but also makes the curve harder to pick up than when the cameras were showing the west stand.

Presumably it's because of the extra height, but always thought it was odd they chose to have the east stand as the backdrop at the Boleyn rather than the west stand for tv. The former is certainly far more charming than the latter close up, but not so much on the telly.