Social housing at the Boleyn

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Social housing at the Boleyn

Post by kitthehammer »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... paign=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch as the morons who keep blaming west ham for the olympic stadium deal blame west ham for the lack of social housing agreed by the developers.
Of course i agree it is wrong and there should be more (if not all) but west ham are not to blame and as far as they know the boleyn will be redeveloped and so don't need to leave it in a fit state.
So grab what you can at the last match of the season! :-)
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Social housing at the Boleyn

Post by AlfieG »

More Daily Mail click bait..... :asleep:
a86

Re: Social housing at the Boleyn

Post by a86 »

I'm currently working with Newham council on a large scheme of residential accommodation and they requested 60 affordable homes.

Galliard homes put in 6% which is 50 homes (50.28 to be precise), all they have to do is convert another 10 units and comply with the requirements

however, at the moment councils require around 25% so they would have to issue 210 units for affordable rental properties.

there is a loophole in the system.... you can build up to 7 properties on 1 site without offering social housing... so if the developers were THAT desperate to reduce the amount of social housing they could divide the plot into smaller pockets of land and divide the units that way.

imo I think the scheme is too big and too compact and architecturally unsatisfactory and unsympathetic. the original plans were a lot better. aesthetically pleasing, mimicked the shape of the stadium and kept the football pitch as a communal courtyard (which has seemed to disappear by adding another mass of units across the halfway line).

might be back to the drawing board for GH.