First Ever Game At OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

WokyIron

Re: First Ever Game At OS

Post by WokyIron »

UptonPK wrote:I see. Perhaps the date i saw was only applicable for this year then.
The World Athletics finish on 13th August 2017.
According to the infamous "concession agreement", UK Athletics have priority use on the stadium from the last Friday in June until 31st July each year (or 1st August if the 1st falls on a Sunday) so UKA will get the stadium on 24th June this year not WHU.

For the 2017 Worlds, the period is the 1st July to 21st August at the latest (it may be handed over earlier if available) but whatever happens it must be in football mode by Friday 25th August 2017 ready for us.
UptonPK

Post by UptonPK »

It was stated at the SAB meeting last week that we take over the occupancy of the ground on 26th June.
I guess this is just for the formalities then.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

UptonPK wrote:It was stated at the SAB meeting last week that we take over the occupancy of the ground on 26th June.
I guess this is just for the formalities then.
This is roughly when the backroom and admin staff are moving over
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Who cares about the concession agreement or when U.K athletics will use the stadium....... West Ham will have the stadium when West Ham need it....... That's the only thing that matters. So much moaning for no reason!
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by danm79 »

Pop Robson wrote:Europa Cup 1st leg game possibly 28th July, maybe it'll be away !!

Home leg 5th August

all English Europa Cup team will be entering at the 3rd round I believe
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ For the Europa the team that finishes 5th and the FA Cup winners (or team that finishes 6th if winner already qualified for Europe) start at the Group stages with first match on 15 September.

The League Cup winners (or 6th place if winners already qualified - or 7th if 6th placed team qualify through FA Cup winners slot) start at Third Qualifying round on 28th July and 4th August and winners progress to Play-Off round on 18th and 25th August and winners progress to Group stage.
WokyIron

Post by WokyIron »

costa75 wrote:Who cares about the concession agreement or when U.K athletics will use the stadium....... West Ham will have the stadium when West Ham need it....... That's the only thing that matters. So much moaning for no reason!
So a 200+ page legally binding agreement doesn't matter? Try telling UK Athletics that WHU want to play a Europa League qualifier on the same day that they're hosting an athletics event or the World Athletics Championships next year and see what response you get....

Also, this must be the only thread where no one is moaning except for someone moaning about moaning! :wink:
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

So where will we play if we have a European game while athletics have use of the stadium?
WokyIron

Post by WokyIron »

brownout wrote:So where will we play if we have a European game while athletics have use of the stadium?
I'd been wondering that as well...

I guess it would depend on exact timings of any UK Athletics events but there are some options:
1) Another venue but obviously wouldn't be a popular option!
2) Playing with it still in athletics mode so the lower tier seats are all still pushed back
3) Playing with some of the lower tier pushed forward depending on how much they can get into football mode by the time of the match.

The biggest challenge in moving the lower tiers seems to be filling in the part between the east Lower and the East Upper.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Few years time and the whole athletic legacy (nonsense) won't matter...

Money talks and that equals premier league and European football not athletics that doesn't have the fans or sponsorship

Contracts and agreements are wonderful but if both parties agree (£££) to amend them then anything can be changed I would guess

Although that don't assist with the first couple of years where we all have to pretend athletics matter
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

WokyIron wrote:So a 200+ page legally binding agreement doesn't matter?
No it doesn't........ West Ham will have the stadium when they need it, and when they don't need it I couldn't care less what they do with it. As long as it doesn't involve another football team......
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

I think a friendly game against the Orient would be a gesture. Of course I can think of another gesture I like to give them....
UptonPK

Post by UptonPK »

I've booked two outward flights for my summer holiday so as to guarantee (I hope!) I get to see our first home league game!
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

City entertained Barcelona at The COMS. Won 2-1 too! From memory, it was then TNS in the Europa then Portsmouth in the Premier League.

You've had some good friendlies against European sides at Upton Park. I went to both Olympiakos and Real Zaragoza.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

WokyIron wrote:My question would be, given that UK Athletics has priority use until the end of July and they have a corporate relay event on Wednesday 27th July that involves runners finishing on the track, how will they have time to convert the stadium to "sports pitch" mode when I understand it takes up to 10 days to do the conversion.
The corporate relay event is on 19th July this year (was 27th July last year) - I know as I am signed up for it. Then the Anniversary Games are the weekend after (22-23 July) then I think that's it.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/b ... fer-190216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barca said no apparently.
jamine16

Post by jamine16 »

How about Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus?

I'm sure any of them would be just as good.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Should invite Liverpool so we can guarantee a winning start with plenty of goals :crest:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Just go with Millwall and lets be done with it.

Arsenal played Ajax (Bergkamp testimonial) for their first game at the Emirates.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

I bet it ends up being Celtic..