Standing area?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Standing area?

Post by Kludgehammer »

Going back over the threads, there was some discussion about whether/where there was going to be area(s) where standing was going to be tolerated/encouraged - did anything ever come of this?

As a mere member rather than s/t holder, my invitation to choose a location is coming up - I love the current atmosphere in ES1 block, and I want the nearest equivalent (standing / shouting / singing) in the new place and really don't want to end up lumbered with a gentrified area of seated-only quiet people!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Re: Standing area?

Post by Doc H Ball »

Standing will not be tolerated. Gold said recently that such 'anti social' behaviour will be not be allowed at the OS.

It's not for the Club to ignore it. Just a reminder - we don't own the poxy place but the Govt do and they will have to enforce.

The only people who will be standing will be the away fans. I shall try, but I am expecting to be told I'll lose my s/t if I persist.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Doc H Ball wrote:Standing will not be tolerated. Gold said recently that such 'anti social' behaviour will be not be allowed at the OS.

It's not for the Club to ignore it. Just a reminder - we don't own the poxy place but the Govt do and they will have to enforce.

The only people who will be standing will be the away fans. I shall try, but I am expecting to be told I'll lose my s/t if I persist.
New BML will stand. Too many people there who have no intention of sitting down.
They can't ban us all.
United we stand.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Doc H Ball wrote:Standing will not be tolerated. Gold said recently that such 'anti social' behaviour will be not be allowed at the OS.

"Measures will be put in place to ensure anti-social, illegal standing will not take place" Is close to the exact words he used before making a personal (not WHU based) case for safe standing areas.

A number of STH's where I stand at the moment have also renewed in the new BML at Stratford. The first game in particular will be very interesting to see how the new intake of stewards, not the current lot will attempt to enforce. They will have to start with the first row and every individual in that row and work their way backwards. Picking on individuals or perceived "easy targets" further up the stand rather than the front row first would garner an even larger adverse reaction.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Standing is not illegal as Mr Gold has been told many times.
Nor is it antisocial if everyone in the area wants to stand.