Slav on Upton Park

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Slav on Upton Park

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... upton-park

It's interviews like this that make me love having Slav in charge almost as much as the results this season, along with his "FA Cup over top 4" one last month.

Brilliant to have someone who really gets the supporters and relates to us, and sees the club how we do! :crest:
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Slav on Upton Park

Post by AlfieG »

He really gets it does our Slaven..... :thup:

From the Standard on Friday.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 78726.html

Re the Liverpool FA Cup replay….It was one of those nights. The atmosphere was crackling, both teams played their part to the full and that late goal was a suitable climax.
It meant more also because time is running out at the Boleyn. For West Ham fans, the players, staff and myself, it was extra-special because of that — a night match at Upton Park with that great atmosphere.
We did enjoy the moment but it was much more than that. Afterwards, in my office, we talked about the injuries and what that would mean for tomorrow’s match at Norwich and beyond.
When I arrived home the house was quiet, the family were asleep so there was just me and the dogs. I put on the TV but I couldn’t tell you what was on really, I was still re-running the game in my head. It felt good.
I was also answering many texts from people back home in Croatia and Turkey where I used to work. They had seen the game and wanted to text me, which was nice.
The following day I watched the game again but, professionally, seeing where we could have done better.
However, you have to enjoy those kind of moments. That is why you are in football. If you beat Liverpool the way we did in a game like that and don’t savour it, then what is the point?
One of the questions I have since been asked is: “How can you replicate that kind of atmosphere when you move to the Olympic Stadium?”
To answer that I would go back to when I was young. When we wanted to play football we put down two rocks as goals and that was it – let’s play!
Anyone aged over 40 would remember playing like that but in the last 15 years, as in everything — lap-tops, mobiles — the world has moved at a terrific speed and that includes football.
Kids from most developed countries have become used to better things, equipment, pitches, and facilities. Put two coats down on the street and get the football out — and the kids are going to walk away.
That goes for the stadiums as well. The traditional old places like the Boleyn are great, I love them. When you approach great stadiums like the San Siro or the Santiago Bernabeu, you feel it will be a battle.
You can’t compare Highbury with the Emirates, any more than Upton Park and the Olympic Stadium.
But there is no reason why, if the game is good, the atmosphere at the Olympic Stadium cannot also be special.
I didn’t go to the Rugby World Cup matches there because I was busy but I heard the atmosphere was fine. The new roof will make for good acoustics, there will be 20,000 more supporters than at Upton Park and that includes more away fans who will want to make themselves heard. With all that, plus a special game like Tuesday’s, then I don’t see why we shouldn’t have a great atmosphere at our new home next season.
Maybe it will not be quite as hostile in a positive way as Upton Park but that doesn’t mean we won’t have a good atmosphere.

Rocks for goal posts...... Thats a new one!