Digital wrap now just a wrap!!

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Re: Digital wrap now just a wrap!!

Post by Doc H Ball »

Good to see you on here again Gav :thup:
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

gavros wrote:Extra work was done (to the tune of over £30 million) to strengthen the superstructure ahead of installing the roof. Populous's computer programmes would have told the them the extra stress on the superstructure from the (relatively lightweight) wrap and whether it would have been within acceptable safety levels long before it went into planning. Additionally, no mention has been made about not having the wrap, which had now got planning permission, apart from Jack Sullivan and Gold and no mention was made about stress on the structure, that would have been the easy option. Instead their comments alluded to the poor quality of the wrap. So can you suggest any evidence to back up your suggestion?
Take it or leave it mate.
gavros

Post by gavros »

Cheers, useful.
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Has there been any official announcement that the digital wrap has been scrapped or is this rumour and speculation?
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

"My mate dave told me down the boozer the wrap with the light things was to heavy" so it must be.

Again, like gav has said... Thanks for your input
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

War Pony wrote:"My mate dave told me down the boozer the wrap with the light things was to heavy" so it must be.

Again, like gav has said... Thanks for your input
:lol:

Keep it classy mate. Remember, this is a public forum...
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Pocket Pardew wrote:Has there been any official announcement that the digital wrap has been scrapped or is this rumour and speculation?

You mean has a Public Authority owned up to a f*** up?

Of course not. Face saving attempts are ongoing though.
gavros

Post by gavros »

Your 'name' suggests that you are in the public sphere, either at the GLA or perhaps now LLDC.

I really cant believe that the architects or supporting firms (Populous and Buro Happold primarily) would have overlooked weight loadings in their models.

You might not be at liberty to disclose that, understandably. If you do have ITK information, though can you sketch out the alternative? Its quite possible that a lightweight MediaMesh alternative might be possible, which would mean both significantly greater pixellation and at a lower weight given the steel mullions needed for the approved design.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

gavros wrote:Your 'name' suggests that you are in the public sphere, either at the GLA or perhaps now LLDC.

I really cant believe that the architects or supporting firms (Populous and Buro Happold primarily) would have overlooked weight loadings in their models.

You might not be at liberty to disclose that, understandably. If you do have ITK information, though can you sketch out the alternative? Its quite possible that a lightweight MediaMesh alternative might be possible, which would mean both significantly greater pixellation and at a lower weight given the steel mullions needed for the approved design.
I don't know the ins and outs, just passing on what I was told.

My guess is that the architects etc delivered precisely to spec. All that additional stengthening was done simply to stop the stadium collapsing under the weight of the roof. I'd further guess that the spec was simply maintaining legal minimums and attaching even relatively lightweight steels to the side potentially compromises that.

In terms of an alternative, I know nothing of any substance but I don't think the idea has been scrapped completely anyway. Philips have the gig so it'll be down to them to make it work. The revenue potential makes it something that will happen if there is a possibility.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

You can get well cheap flat screen tv's down currys nowadays...reckon we are going to strap a few hundred of those bad boys on the side of the stadium and hook em up to dodgy jailbroke apple tvs and we'll be streaming live footage of games from exotic places like Turkey...they'll work fine for a second and then buffer for a bit before going really fast for a few minutes...then some moody russian dating site will flash up and you'll see a geezer with a ladder trying to turn off all the screens because we'll have accidently left the remote controls in a desk at Chadwell Heath.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

I'm just hoping we might have a working clock at the new ground. I've lost count of the amount of times the clocks at the Boleyn have bollocked over the last few years.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

antony wrote:I'm just hoping we might have a working clock at the new ground. I've lost count of the amount of times the clocks at the Boleyn have bollocked over the last few years.
It does my head in too.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Georgee Paris wrote:You can get well cheap flat screen tv's down currys nowadays...reckon we are going to strap a few hundred of those bad boys on the side of the stadium
wait till black Friday and send some club employees down the stores to grab some bargains

a86

Post by a86 »

I think the main issue with the LED lighting wrap is that it is a heavy curtain and it will sag naturally due to the weight. it'll look good at first but it'll get loose unless the fixings to the steel are robust enough. the additional weight of the curtain will strain the steel work which is already taking a huge about of stress from the largest roof in Europe.

ideally the wrap will be lightweight and sturdy with lights will shine upwards to project the graphic.
gavros

Post by gavros »

the mullions on which the LED nodes sit were solid steel in the plans, i think. Just replace that with hollow aluminium and job done.
a86

Post by a86 »

gavros wrote:the mullions on which the LED nodes sit were solid steel in the plans, i think. Just replace that with hollow aluminium and job done.

have you got any detail drawings of this? I haven't seen it
a86

Post by a86 »

gavros

Post by gavros »

Wrap presentation

https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/doc ... tation.pdf

Planning application. The really relevant parts are the Design and Access Statement (page 2) and Lighting Report Part 1 (page 5). As you can see a hell of a lot of work has gone into this so I find it curious that the planners didnt first check that the superstructure could take the weight.

http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... ts%3C/a%3E

San Francisco Bay Bridge lighting which uses Philips iColor Flex LMX lighting nodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYeZ9GOdpQ
gavros

Post by gavros »

Just realised that Gold has said I am "misinformed" after I tweeted him asking what the hold up was given planing permission has been granted and the LLDC have approved funding the wrap, two things that are in the public domain already.

Obviously they're trying to keep their cards to their chest but I do hope any redesign would introduce more LED nodes to improve pixelation.

The wrap has to be finished by end May according to the planning docs. If it isn't started sharpish there's no chance until next year given they'd be working around already planned events.
belgohammer

Post by belgohammer »

Bit confused here, is it still on, not, or not sure? :?