Away Allocation for the Olympic Stadium

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

TW2 Hammer

Away Allocation for the Olympic Stadium

Post by TW2 Hammer »

With the good news on the £30 cap for ticket prices are for away fans and in the words of the PL "away fans are essential for match atmosphere" are we making sure there are enough away supporters at the new stadium?

I have always thought it's a much better atmosphere at football with more away fans than the standard allocations.
The best and most obvious examples are cup games. Liverpool at our place and us at Ewood.
I'm thinking that if the capacity is at 54,000 there should be around 5,000 away fans and at an increased 60,000 nearer 6,000.
I really hope the club don't apply a 3,000-3,500 away section.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Away Allocation for the Olympic Stadium

Post by sgb1972 »

Couldn't disagree more.

While there are understandable and obvious concerns over how much atmosphere we will generate in the new stadium I think it would be foolish to allocate more than we need to for away fans. Important we settle in as quick as possible and have a good home record.

Hasn't the area / volume already been sorted though?
aston hammer

Post by aston hammer »

While I agree with you to a point, the cap announcement only makes this less likely.

If they can only charge £30/ticket for away fans but £60+ for home fans and they are confident of selling out then you know they will take the commercial decision and in the main limit away fans to whatever they are obligated to. Cup games are higher because the obligation is higher (% to total capacity).
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

They've already decided that it's both tiers of the Trev stand at the OS. How far across it goes is down to how many are sold but it'll be a fair few thousand I think.
gavros

Post by gavros »

If demand is there from our fans, it should be capped at 3000 which is the minimum requirement.
TW2 Hammer

Post by TW2 Hammer »

Just my opinion but football is just much better with bigger away allocations.
Maybe I'm just rose tinting my view ?
I think capping it at 3,000 in a possible 60,000 will reduce the atmosphere.
Arsenal's atmosphere is great when there are 6,000 away fans in the ground.

Careful what you wish for!
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

TW2 Hammer wrote:Just my opinion but football is just much better with bigger away allocations.
Maybe I'm just rose tinting my view ?
I think capping it at 3,000 in a possible 60,000 will reduce the atmosphere.
Arsenal's atmosphere is great when there are 6,000 away fans in the ground.

Careful what you wish for!
You only get 6000 at Ashburton Grove for the FA cup, normal league away allocation there is 3000 and the boys and girls their earlier this season in the away end made a good noise throughout. How the Arsenal fans react (in either silence or chanting back) I do not care personally as I am there to cheer on WHU.