The English Summer of Cricket

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Re: The English Summer of Cricket

Post by Row X »

Good to see that photo of him in the ambulance.

What an end to that match as well!
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

As much as I love test cricket, that T20 was fantastic. Micheal Lumb oh dear!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Watching Surrey v Middlesex T20, with Kevin Pietersen single-handedly causing the destruction of a really good Surrey start. He comes in after Roy tries a shot too far, then first ball runs out Finch who was motoring on 40 not out and who wasn't amused at all. After demanding a runner, he then got out to a soft shot on 4. Cue much swearing - all in all, a very 'me me me' performance that did nothing for the team game.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Anybody watching the women's final? Great to see Lords packed out for it, women's cricket has been improving for a while now and I've been keeping an eye on the results most of the tournament.

Think we'd do very well to beat this Indian team, but fingers crossed.
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by simon hammer »

One of the best games of cricket I have seen in a while, and Anya Shrubsole with a superb display of death bowling.

England are World Champions!

Well done ladies, a brilliant performance and a brilliant tournament.
aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer »

Fantastic game, well done ladies :scarfer:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

It was a cracking match - swinging back and forth, and India looked nailed on needing 40 odd with 7 wickets in hand. Then the implosion and some excellent bowling by Shrubsole and good fielding won it for England.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Watched the ladies final. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was like watching the old 80's one dayers where there was no huge hitting but lots of tactical ones and twos as opposed to smashing it all over the ground.

Congrats England ladies great win! :thup:
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Big congratulations to the ladies. For all money it looked as though India had the game wrapped up, but England held their nerve superbly and trusted the plan. Now lets hope the men show as much bottle in the upcoming test.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yep, well done the ladies indeed. Had been watching for a few hours, the last 3 overs my signal goes so had to listen to it on the radio :lol: My sky keeps dipping in and out recently!

Thought India were going to stroll it up until about 5/6 overs to go! Great entertainment!
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Rashid bowling some absolute jaffas here.

If we're playing a second spinner tomorrow and he's been overlooked for the likes of Dawson the selectors are wallys.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Proper Test cricket today so far at the Oval, Cook at his resilient best, Root and Malan out to jaffas. Jennings looked like dead man walking, seemed to freeze under the pressure and was just a matter of time.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Good to see England's top order failing again... Kevin Pietersen anyone?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Slacking student wrote:Good to see England's top order failing again... Kevin Pietersen anyone?
I wouldn't say failing, Jennings aside they were all 'got out' by superb bowling in helpful conditions. As others have said give the KP stuff a rest, he's history, let it go mate it will eat you up
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

My eight year old daughter could do a better job with the bat than Jennings. He is a walking wicket. What I don't understand is he is supposedly out of County form knick, so why are they persisting with him? Hameed is also supposedly out of knick but done a marvellous job at international level when called upon before.

Tom Westley looked ok, reckon he might do better in the second innings.

I think we could be in for another battering here. Amla loves this ground.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

wolf359 wrote:Proper Test cricket today so far at the Oval, Cook at his resilient best, Root and Malan out to jaffas. Jennings looked like dead man walking, seemed to freeze under the pressure and was just a matter of time.
Felt a bit sorry for Malan today. Possibly one of most unplayable deliveries I've seen in recent years.
aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer »

I was there yesterday, in a group of about 10 of us who all play or have played a decent level of club cricket, and I was the only one who thought that ball to Malan was a great ball. Don't get me wrong a top test class batsman should be able to block it out and not end up on the floor, but I think a lot of players would struggle with that.

Jennings was awful, and unless he scores big in the 2nd innings should be dropped.

Westley looked good but lunch came at the wrong time for him. Root out to a good ball and a blinding catch after looking good too.

Tough batting conditions with a slow outfield but a good pitch to bat on. We'll have to bowl and field very well to get something out of this game. We're seeing why the Saffers are number 2 in the world.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I'm off to day 4 on Sun. What state the game will be in by then is anyones guess, might aswell start 0-1 for with Jennings in the team

That Rabada delivery yesterday was a beauty though. I actually thought with the conditions England done quite well. If Steyn had been playing yesterday I think we would have been in serious trouble. With the conditions SA are probably a bit disappointed not to have picked up more wickets yesterday.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Top innings from Stokes. 350 has put is in a decent position, just got to bowl well now. Can see this one going to the 5th day so you should be in luck Nesticles!
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Roland-Jones with a dream start to test cricket, 3 wickets for almost nothing. 30-3 SA.