Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Jumby »

GGG didn't call out Brook like BJS has with Khan, there was nobody decent left in the middleweight division that would get in the ring with Golovkin, including BJS. With Canelo it tells you all you need to know, Golden Boy were just protecting him putting him in with smaller guys.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Nesticles wrote:De La Hoya doing wonders for Canelo

17 - 111 vs Lara
118 - 109 vs Trout
119 - 109 vs Cotto
114 - 114 vs Mayweather
118 - 110 vs Golovkin
:thdn:
I know, I'm hoping there'll be an inquest into all of this because, quite frankly, this is ridiculous. Alvarez didn't really deserve to be there anyway, he's not a great middleweight, how many fights has he had at middleweight? He dodged fighting at 160lbs and then took an easy money spinner catchweight at 164lbs, he, and more importantly, Golden Boy, are not good for boxing.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Worth noting Ingle said that BJS can make 154 if required to fight Khan. Wasn't much of a call out either, all seemed quite respectful. Probably a decent sized domestic fight that could be made easy enough.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

BJS has a middleweight belt and I think, given how inactive he has been, and I know not all of it is his fault, he should be defending that, in my opinion.
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

I agree with you btw, I was just chucking it out there. It is a big name big money fight and one BJS will win, he need to remain unbeaten to get get a cash out fight against a big name. Unfortunately the top rankers in the middleweight division are high risk low reward for Billy at this point with Canelo v GGG looking like a rematch. I hope he stays at the ingle gym and gets his head down. Despite being an idiot I really do rate him.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

GGG and Canelo are perfect for BJS, massive pay day, not expected to do anything, the fact he keeps dodging them is disappointing.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

fmgod wrote:GGG and Canelo are perfect for BJS, massive pay day, not expected to do anything, the fact he keeps dodging them is disappointing.
Maybe he doesn't want to get absolutely schooled, because that's what would happen IMO. He may have the belt but it's a total mismatch in quality and I can't see much reason for him or his camp to be keen.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

That fight on Saturday was like one from the good old days. So much intelligence, skill and craft in the ring it was really enjoyable to watch from the first round to the last. Dodgy judges notwithstanding, the match was excellent and both fighters deserve maximum respect.

I'm quite critical of corruption in boxing but I think Byrd is just genuinely incompetent; if you were gonna fix something you wouldn't do it so drastically. I think that's just a problem with the way boxing is scored/judged in general, in secret and so subjectively.

I thought both fighters were absolutely excellent and brave till the last. Canelo is one hell of a slick operator. So fast, so clever, great reflexes and footwork and one of the best counter punchers I've seen. Showboating against the ropes against GGG was certainly entertaining.

GGG is just a machine, reminds me of Hagler in some ways and he must be so frustrating to face because nothing fazes him and he's so powerful. He probably edged it slightly but I think a draw is fair and if it didn't happen in such extreme circumstances people wouldn't be moaning about the outcome.

Respect to both fighters, we needed that after last month's sham.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Big question mark over Billy Joe for me would be that his punch resistance hasn't really been tested

If he gets fit and motivated by Ingle, he can be a slick operator. Enough to trouble GGG or Canelo? Maybe not, but it would by no means be an easy fight for either.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

ryanrc wrote:
Maybe he doesn't want to get absolutely schooled, because that's what would happen IMO. He may have the belt but it's a total mismatch in quality and I can't see much reason for him or his camp to be keen.
Yeah he will get totally outclassed but will earn an absolute fortune, he could retire off that fight.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

fmgod wrote:
Yeah he will get totally outclassed but will earn an absolute fortune, he could retire off that fight.
Yeah I guess you're right, and not many people would lose respect for him (e.g. when Murray lost to GGG) but he just strikes me as the type of guy who would put it off for another few years. Would love to see GGG or Canelo hammer him though.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I think BJS would cause Canelo problems, I really do. Amir Khan was rinsing him until THAT punch, if BJS has more of a chin, which although he's not much of an oppurtunity to prove I'm sure he has, and gets his head down and focuses he could cause Canelo problems, big problems, but he'd have to KO the Mexican in order to leave with his belt because there is no way that fight would happen outside of America and, as we've seen, there's no way you can get the judges to score your way if you're in with Canelo, post Mayweather fight, just ask Lara, Trout and the best Middleweight of his generation, Triple G.

Canelo isn't even a true Middleweight yet, I know I said it earlier but it needs to be stressed that he's a lower weight bully, a fighter who has had his opponents carefully cherry picked to protect his record, wtf was he doing in with Smith? He didn't give a **** about that division, from there he goes up to 164lbs for a catchweight fight against a complete has been, a drained has been, and he couldn't knock him out. It's a joke how Golden Boy and Canelo have operated and I don't know how it can be resolved but it needs to be. If Canelo beats/cheats GGG in the rematch and gets the win who do you think he'll go in with next? BJS? Logic says he should but I bet he'd avoid him, Jacobs and Charlo, and go for Lemieux, Monroe Jr or even try some weirdly promoted fight against Rosado, Mayweather style. Charlo is making big strides and he can't avoid him forever, unless he goes down that bullsh!t catchweight route again.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Tony Bellow to fight David Haye at the O2 Arena on December 17, that's a Sunday, apparently (Evening Standard).
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

R.I.P. Jake LaMotta, legendary boxer. A ripe old age, 95!
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

So Andre Ward retires.

Anyone else massively underwhelmed and disappointed with him?

Possibly the P4P but also possibly the worst marketed fighter in history.

Nobody outside boxing and its fans will remember him, which is a shame really.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

White Goodman wrote:So Andre Ward retires.

Anyone else massively underwhelmed and disappointed with him?

Possibly the P4P but also possibly the worst marketed fighter in history.

Nobody outside boxing and its fans will remember him, which is a shame really.
Very true. Terrible spells of his career inactive and then with promotional issues

Still, reached the very top of two weight classes. All he was really missing now is a win over Adonis Stevenson.

A great fighter to watch, imo. Could do it all. Never really got out of his first gear to win the Super Six tournament.

I see Froch is bitter as ever about his loss to him, classless.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm curious about examples with what people are saying about Canelo being lucky or a fight dodger.

I've followed him but not super closely, but from my point of view he's 27 and had 52 fights and stepped up to fight the best - GGG and Floyd (when he was only really young). So which fights has he dodged and where has he nicked results?

Outside of the politics, what I've seen of him he is an excellent boxer and at times the other day he looked unbelievable.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Nesticles wrote:
Did you ever see that clip of an interview with Froch on Youtube where he calls those journalists Andre Ward arse lickers?

I genuinely enjoyed Froch's hard man style over hs career but he could fight Ward 100 times and lose every time
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

ryanrc wrote:where has he nicked results?
Nesticles wrote: 117 - 111 vs Lara
118 - 109 vs Trout
119 - 109 vs Cotto
114 - 114 vs Mayweather
118 - 110 vs Golovkin
He is a class fighter, no doubt. Just he seems to have some rather suspicious luck when it comes to scoring fights. Enough times for it not to be a coincidence.

He has also messed several fighters around with weight demands for fights (he as been described as a diva with his own weight class - 'caneloweight'). He devalued world titles by defending them at different weights (example - he defended the 160lb world title at everything but 160lb for some time).
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

White Goodman wrote:
Did you ever see that clip of an interview with Froch on Youtube where he calls those journalists Andre Ward arse lickers?

I genuinely enjoyed Froch's hard man style over hs career but he could fight Ward 100 times and lose every time[/quote]

I saw that, it's mind boggling Sky use him as a pundit. He is useless. A great fighter, but like Redknapp and co do for football he just turns up to talk about fights with little knowledge of the fighters. I wouldn't say he is a huge fan of the sport. He comes across as such a bitter person.