The Ashes 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Everybody is getting runs, the worry is that that are facing average bowlers on average pitches.

Those sporting Aussies are softening up with pie chuckers before the speed and bounce fest next week.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Slacking Student. I was a big fan of KP, but you're constant clamouring for his inclusion is getting beyond ridiculous. For reasons mentioned by others on this thread.

He's not in the equation any more and won't ever be again. It's time to move on.

Ian Bell however.......
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Starc and Hazlewood are the two that really worry me. Although Lyon is very underrated

I think our bowlers can do the business and get us in positions to win test matches
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Although the Aussies have made it interesting with some rumoured left-field squad choices for the Gabba.
Tim Paine? Darren Lehmann has made a more recent FC century. And Shaun Marsh is back for the umpteenth time too. Helps having a famous Dad, I guess.
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

Rio wrote:Slacking Student. I was a big fan of KP, but you're constant clamouring for his inclusion is getting beyond ridiculous. For reasons mentioned by others on this thread.

He's not in the equation any more and won't ever be again. It's time to move on.

Ian Bell however.......
Did you see his First-class average last season? Warwickshire had to send him down to the 2nd XI for a period of time, he's lost it.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

NottingHammer6 wrote:Did you see his First-class average last season? Warwickshire had to send him down to the 2nd XI for a period of time, he's lost it.
It was slightly tongue in cheek. It's a real shame. Being removed from the test setup has knocked his sense of purpose. When he was in form I thought he was the most pleasing English batsman to watch in terms of style & technique since Gower.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

we're gonna get rinsed - mcgrath will be right with his usual prediction i fear
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Well we may not have the craziest selection policy in the series, good to see the Aussies being consistent :lol:

Renshaw must be stiff, his last test innings in Australia was a 180, also Neville must have pissed on a selectors dog for Paine to be given the gloves. Hasn't scored a first class ton since 2006
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

If their bowlers stay fit (and its a big if), we'll be bang in trouble. Other than that, there are not too many concerns from their line-up. I still don't think we'll win the Ashes though. :(
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Also gone completely unnoticed is the axing of Glenn Maxwell. The incumbent number 6 who has made a ton in very difficult conditions in India in the winter. Bizarre decision by Hohns.

Still if we don't pick our best side why should they
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Australia Squad - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42013093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Australia squad: Steve Smith (captain), David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Chadd Sayers, Mitchell Starc.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I feel a bit more encouraged seeing that Aussie team but it can’t be denied both sides have got passengers in their squads.

But we’re always going to be up against it without Stokes, in that heat, with the Kookaburra ball, and on flat pitches.

I don’t think it’ll be a whitewash but it will take a momentous effort to win games.
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Both teams have players who have question marks against them... Both have bowlers and batters who can win matches...

Their team selection seems a little odd... but they are playing in their own back yard - I wouldn't be surprised if some of these picks end up playing match winning performances...

The day night test will be massive whoever wins this wins the series in my opinion (assuming it's a 3 - 2 split in toss wins)...
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I'm feeling a bit heartened by their selection meltdown. Maybe we are over-estimating them.

Seems they have decent bowlers, and a top 4.

We have decent bowlers but not as suited to their pitches, bat deep but patchy through to 5.

Don't think we will be seeing so many of the 500+ scores you usually get down under. Reckon 375 - 400 could be a decent 1st innings score.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Lets make no bones about this, neither team is anywhere near the levels we are at about 7 years ago. Both sides have got a couple of outstanding batsmen and a few passengers. What I think will tip it in the Aussies favour, sadly - aside from home advantage - is their pacemen in Starc and Hazelwood, and our leaving one of our best players behind in Stokes.

Oh and as an aside - Slacking give it a rest with the KP stuff. You ruin every single cricket thread on here with that obsession. It's ****ing boring. He's gone, get over it.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Interesting no? We’ve been busy over here obsessing about how we will struggle against their pace bowlers and we’ll get dicked etc. .but that side says to me that if any of Starc, Cummins or H’wood go down (which is eminently possible) then they will be on the back foot. We shouldn’t fear them as much as a lot of the media would have us believe.....think it will be tight; am going 2-2 with a draw first up
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Warner and Smith apart there's no one in that batting line up too really fear and if our top 3 can buck the trend of constant 50 odd for 3's then it could be pretty close.

Pretty concerned about our rather pedestrian paced bowling attack especially Broad who's looked out of sorts in the last year or so. Anderson is never the force down under as he is in the UK.

If the 3 Aussie pacemen fire on all cylinders then it'll be a tough tour.

At least we won't have Johnson chucking it sideways this time out there.....
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

smuts wrote:Warner and Smith apart there's no one in that batting line up too really fear and if our top 3 can buck the trend of constant 50 odd for 3's then it could be pretty close.
The Aussies must be thinking the same about Cook and Root!

Hopefully somebody like Stoneman or Malan takes their opportunity and racks up some big runs this tour
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Well we've also got Bairstow, Ali and if he makes it Stokes. Our batting line up is still decent enough, it's the 2 + 3 positions where we've struggled.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

I see this is being covered by BT. Just seen their ad for the Ashes and it's full of footballers playing cricket and Robbie Savage commentating on a wicket he's just seen in a Final Score type programme...strange doesn't cover it.

Will stick to BBC TMS I think. Are sky/channel 5 doing highlights for this series?

Looking forward to it.