The Ashes 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: The Ashes 2017/18

Post by Slacking student »

That's the thing from the reports he's done nothing, chucked a drink over someone. It's hardly crime of the century is it. He's not bottled someone for ****'s sake.

I personally would rather the England team were like this than tedious autocratic robots. Everyone needs to lighten up in my opinion and just laugh at the situation rather than virtue signalling about what message it sends to youngsters.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Don't expect Ballance to be replacing Vince in the 3rd test. He was out for 1 in the tour game this morning.

Wood so far 4 overs for 20 runs. The reality is it takes game after game for a bowler to find their rhythm, hoping he can play in the 3rd test really is a long shot.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Slacking student wrote:That's the thing from the reports he's done nothing, chucked a drink over someone. It's hardly crime of the century is it. He's not bottled someone for ****'s sake.

I personally would rather the England team were like this than tedious autocratic robots. Everyone needs to lighten up in my opinion and just laugh at the situation rather than virtue signalling about what message it sends to youngsters.
All over Jimmy Anderson apparently. :?
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Slacking student wrote:That's the thing from the reports he's done nothing, chucked a drink over someone. It's hardly crime of the century is it. He's not bottled someone for ****'s sake.

If this was in isolation then I would agree , but it’s all about context. They know the media’s beady eye is all over them at the moment, and this is just stupidity of highest order
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

smuts wrote:All over Jimmy Anderson apparently. :?
I'd imagine Root wanted to do that halfway through the first morning in Adelaide
Bend it like Repka

They have to be talking about Bairstow's career being in the balance surely?

I can't work out who else it could be..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017 ... ine-axing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd rather a nice middle ground. Go out, have a few beers, then save the aggression and hostility for when we're bowling at the convicts.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

They could smash Ramsey Street to bits if they want as long as they come back with the Ashes. :)
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Bend it like Repka wrote:They have to be talking about Bairstow's career being in the balance surely?

I can't work out who else it could be..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017 ... ine-axing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was trying to work that out. I read that Jake Ball and Bairstow had been disciplined before. To be honest, I think it's normal for players to go out drinking on tour. Things would be a lot different if we were winning. It's a shame though, we are only a few players away from being a very good team.
jacko

Post by jacko »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
I can't see how English cricket is being killed by Sky, who plough tens of millions of pounds into the sport, which unlike football gets spread pretty evenly?

Its our scouting and development of young players thats costing us right now.
Because i grew up watching cricket on TV. There is a generation now who haven't seen it on terrestial tv. How are kids going to get interested in it when it's not even on normal tv. I think it makes a difference. I think people in cricket have acknowleged this problem before and now some cricket is returning to the BBC.

I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing cricket in the streets or in a park among friends. I'm sure there are other reaons for this but I do think for cricket that taking it off terristial tv has had a bigger impact than football as it's always been more of a minority sport.
jacko

Post by jacko »

I have read some comments by KP on the England squad. He really is a stirrer. Trying to take revenge for what happened years ago. It's sad to read for a number of reasons.
Bend it like Repka

jacko wrote:
I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing cricket in the streets or in a park among friends. I'm sure there are other reaons for this but I do think for cricket that taking it off terristial tv has had a bigger impact than football as it's always been more of a minority sport.
It was never a game that matched football in the park was it? Even when I grew up watching Botham on the BBC I still only played football down the park.

As I said on the previous page, there is plenty of cricket being played in schools, certainly in my area.

In Sussex they run a huge inter school quick cricket day, usually hosted at a local club. That' is how my daughter got into cricket, there were maybe 150+ kids playing that day aged 9 - 10. Sussex also do coaching days in Primary schools all over the region.

But as I said previously, not having something as huge as the Ashes on TV, even the highlights is a big mistake.
Bend it like Repka

jacko wrote:I have read some comments by KP on the England squad. He really is a stirrer. Trying to take revenge for what happened years ago. It's sad to read for a number of reasons.
Yup I read them. Virtually said Cook was finished.

**** stirring bitter ****
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Bit off topic but did I read that right? We’re also going to NZ in Feb??
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

jacko wrote:
I think people in cricket have acknowleged this problem before and now some cricket is returning to the BBC.
Yeah, usually when we're being beaten in an Ashes series.

Its a nonsense. I didn't hear you or anyone complain when we reached number 1 in the world or beating Australia in their own back yard? Now, because we're getting our arses smacked, its all down to BT and Sky.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

How long has it been since live top flight football matches were shown on terrestrial TV? It's not the main reason, we're just not as good at the moment as we were a few years ago.
jacko

Post by jacko »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Yeah, usually when we're being beaten in an Ashes series.

Its a nonsense. I didn't hear you or anyone complain when we reached number 1 in the world or beating Australia in their own back yard? Now, because we're getting our arses smacked, its all down to BT and Sky.
I don't think it's nonsense. You just disagree. Don't you think that not being able to watch a sport has any impact on the amount of people that take it up? I do.
westham,eggyandchips

jacko wrote:
I don't think it's nonsense. You just disagree. Don't you think that not being able to watch a sport has any impact on the amount of people that take it up? I do.
I disagree because its nonsense.

I'll give you an example-

I have 2 nephews that dont have Sky or BT and not allowed up late enough to watch MOTD, BUT are West Ham mad and love playing football over the park. I'd wager there are thousands of kids all over the UK exactly the same. Ok, they'll be lower numbers of kids playing cricket, but thats down to the parenting and getting them playing the sport. Not TV.
jacko

Post by jacko »

You just can't compare football with cricket.
westham,eggyandchips

jacko wrote:You just can't compare football with cricket.
Well actually you can.

Both are no longer shown on terrestrial television anymore (live).
You claim we’re suffering at cricket because Of Sky TV. Well cricket was shown on terrestrial television throughout the 80s 90s and early 00s and we were a lot worse back then than we are now. How do you explain that?