Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Re: Boxing thread

Post by twixy »

EvilC wrote:Does anyone else fancy Groves?
Gingers don't do it for me.

Eubank exposed again at a decent level, how an earth was he favorite going into that fight? It is amazing really how he has managed to get himself into this comp. Groves v Smith is proper fight. It will be a step up for Smith but he is massively rated by a lot of top ex fighters. Just hope Groves shoulder isn't too bad and is fit.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Groves would probably be the underdog, again

I would like to see him win it

I also dislike Joe Gallagher, so a Groves win would be that much sweeter.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Groves would have to be favourite, Smith has fought no one, could be his big undoing if he walks straight into a top fight without at least faced someone half decent
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Smith could be getting Groves at the right time, off the back of an injury a few too many wars perhaps

I would still favour Groves
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

EvilC wrote:Does anyone else fancy Groves?
If he's fully fit, Groves beats Smith. Smith has never been in a big fight, he's just been beating European level fighters and blokes with day jobs. The hardest test he's faced is a melted down and gaunt looking Skoglund, and he wasn't overly convincing, blood all over his face by the end. Don't get me wrong, I think Callum Smith looks decent enough, but he's yet to really fight anyone.
hudds town hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by hudds town hammer »

groves wont be the same fighter when he comes back from the dislocated shoulder, it will be at least 6 months to a year i think.

in that time smith will have fought at least once against a novice 13 fight ex kick boxer and if he wins that against god only knows what the world boxing super six lot have lined up for him in the final, maybe a ex MMA 13 fight novice just to make it interesting :D
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Curtis Woodhouse vs John Wayne Hibbert is live from Doncaster on Boxing Social Facebook page if you fancy a lower level, Yorkshire vs Essex scrap.

Yarde and Dubois are on BT Sport 1
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

How I'd love the Cuban to send that windmilling f**king idiot crashing to the canvas :lol: he's held the WBC belt hostage for three years now, it would turn the division, and the moneymen, upside down if Ortiz beats him. If Wilder is KO'd his career will be in tatters.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Wilder's been saying that Eddie Hearn is just another white guy exploiting a black guy

Guy's earned about £40m so far without having to extend himself (Klitchsko aside, who'd have beaten him if a few years younger). Oh to be exploited in such a fashion
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Ortiz is a massive drug cheat

I hope Wilder annihilates him
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

White Goodman wrote:Wilder's been saying that Eddie Hearn is just another white guy exploiting a black guy

Guy's earned about £40m so far without having to extend himself (Klitchsko aside, who'd have beaten him if a few years younger). Oh to be exploited in such a fashion
I was surprised that he stooped as low as to say that, I thought he was better than trying to bring the colour of skin into the equation.

Ortiz wasn't using performance enhancing drugs last time out, it was in his medicine, I actually believe him. The incident before that, testing positive for Nandralone, was stupid, but u don't think he was using that to gain an edge, it was commonly used to aid recovery before it was banned.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Wilder weighed in at 214lbs; Luis Ortiz weighed in at 241¼lbs. A two stones difference.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Wilder is taller too. How good would it be to watch him fold and flop to the canvas?

Kell Brook should edge it tonight, I really hope Dave Allen wins this one, he's in the shape of his life but still looks like a stocky northerner when up against Lenroy!
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Sergey Kovalev fights Igor Mikhalkin tonight and Dmitry Bivol takes on Sullivan Barrera. I’m going to be dead tired tomorrow. :asleep:
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Well that was an utter waste of time, had to be a donut to buy a ticket for that tonight
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

A quick win for Brook. Not much to learn from that.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Poor old Dave Allen, this must be driving him nuts. Stack up a couple of Journeyman for him to smash up in a couple of months time and get a third fight with Thomas sorted for the summer.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Ortiz has taken the first three rounds, Wilder looks a little lost at the minute, he isn't landing anything
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Wilder won't beat the winner of the fight in four weeks time. He was losing this until the KO. A younger hard hitter like AJ and Parker would cause him more problems, Fury would outbox him, he won't have that belt much longer.

Edit - those scorecards are ridiculous, Ortiz was winning hands down
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Wilder and Parker are so bad, the heavy weight scene is dreadful talent wise.