What course have you just played? Rate it out of 10

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

What course have you just played? Rate it out of 10

Post by Denzil »

The restaurant thread in the snug has given me a lot of good options for food before, so thought I'd try it to help people find some decent courses to play.

As mentioned in the golf thread, I recently played Charts Hill GC in Kent.

Nice club house with a 180 curved wall with almost ceiling to floor windows overlooking the 1st & 18th. smoked salmon & eggs, side of bacon and a coffee was about £11. Enjoyed that a lot. Good start to the day after a 90 minute slog from Chelmsford.

The course itself was very tricky for me being a high handicapper who hasn't been playing for too long. It is relatively open at the moment as the heather rough hasn't been allowed to grow out through winter and the trees have not blossomed into spring yet. I would imagine it looks a lot tighter from spring till autumn.

There is a bit to think about off the tee but the second shot is what I found made or broke me. Plenty of fairway bunkers and pretty much every green had bunker coverage and/or water hazards which made me play as safe as I could, which meant in turn I scored well enough. A lower handicapper would have taken more on and I guess there is a fair amount of reward for risk on this course.

The course was in excellent condition especially considering the widespread dumping of snow we had a week before. Greens ran true and there is a lot of pride taken in the course and it really shows. I think they play some European PGA qualifiers here.

Value was fantastic but was midweek. £100 for a mid-week four ball for a top notch course. Shame it's so bl0ody far from where I live.

Some GUR due to re-bunkering and general tidy up but no winter greens/tees.

8/10 which would probably increase in summer.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: What course have you just played? Rate it out of 10

Post by warp »

yourmum club. hole in one!
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Romford's long awaited return to KUMB in 3, 2, 1... :lol:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Panshanger

Enough to make you go back time and time again

Mainly because during the winter it’s the best draining course for 50 Miles

9/10 is always give it personally

Reachable par 5s for long hitters but birdie chances for us mere mortals

Added a nice little feature on the 18th camera with a feed into the bar .. about a 20 min delay so once you have packed away your gear and ordered a drink you can watch your last 150 yards and in.
Denzil

Post by Denzil »

Nice feature but not sure I'd want reminding!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Top Meadow - north ockenden

wasnt in too bad nick considering the weather weve been having

nice layout to the course though and some interesting holes

didnt play the best but that wasnt the courses fault

6.5 out of 10
Denzil

Post by Denzil »

Priors - Stapleford Abbotts

This is owned by the same people as the main Abbotts course but is nowhere near as good (reflected in price).

Course not in very good nick, guess largely down to the weather but does not seem to get much love either. Tee boxes uneven and overgrown. Greens not in great condition and some have had holes filled in with sand, one which I pitched on and it bounced side-wards! Drainage seems to be good, not too boggy considering the weather we have been having.

It's a relatively easy course with a couple of tricky holes but good for practise.

£15 for a round at 9am on a Sunday is decent, but I would rather pay a bit more for a course in better condition.

No real club house other than a portacabin and the toilets were not working either. Not ideal when I had a ruby for dinner Saturday....

5/10
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Denzil wrote:Priors - Stapleford Abbotts

This is owned by the same people as the main Abbotts course but is nowhere near as good (reflected in price).

Course not in very good nick, guess largely down to the weather but does not seem to get much love either. Tee boxes uneven and overgrown. Greens not in great condition and some have had holes filled in with sand, one which I pitched on and it bounced side-wards! Drainage seems to be good, not too boggy considering the weather we have been having.

It's a relatively easy course with a couple of tricky holes but good for practise.

£15 for a round at 9am on a Sunday is decent, but I would rather pay a bit more for a course in better condition.

No real club house other than a portacabin and the toilets were not working either. Not ideal when I had a ruby for dinner Saturday....

5/10
they have been doing works to the course to be fair - took a load of aggregate in and resculpting holes

you must be the only one who paid over there - my mate jibs on most nights
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:Top Meadow - north ockenden

wasnt in too bad nick considering the weather weve been having

nice layout to the course though and some interesting holes

didnt play the best but that wasnt the courses fault

6.5 out of 10
used to be a member here for 2 years, the greens are shocking. the owner doesn't let the grounds men maintain them properly.. very bobbly and slow

so much potential to be a good course. Im friendly with the pro over there so I do go now and again to play 9 holes with him if he gets a free moment