The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by hessa »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:worse round of golf ever on friday at Mill Ride (lovely course - just down the road from sunningdale)

6 blobs on the first 6 holes was always gonna ruin my scorecard

absolute dogshite round on a great course
Mill Ride is a lovely course, I played there in April. :thup:
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:worse round of golf ever on friday at Mill Ride (lovely course - just down the road from sunningdale)

6 blobs on the first 6 holes was always gonna ruin my scorecard

absolute dogshite round on a great course
We blobbed the first two in a club Greensomes comp - never really recovered and finished with 28 points. Also played ****, which makes it much worse when its alternate shot format.
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Played my 1st society event of the year yesterday at Brickenden Grange near Hertford. Nice course in good condition, greens were tough to read, though just on the slow side for me. Scored 30 points although had 22 after 10, went from Webb Simpson to Marge Simpson over the closing stretch.

A couple of holes have a West Ham theme. Hole 7 is called Nobles Fade and hole 8 is called Crook !!!!

Worth a visit if you are in the area.
mumbles87
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

played dyrham park today

very windy.. driver problems cost me. 3 blobs in first 6 holes.. got 10 going out but clawed 14 points on back 9 to win my 4 ball and least make it respectable
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

mumbles87 wrote:played dyrham park today

very windy.. driver problems cost me. 3 blobs in first 6 holes.. got 10 going out but clawed 14 points on back 9 to win my 4 ball and least make it respectable
i like dyrham park - had my company golf day there a couple of years ago
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
i like dyrham park - had my company golf day there a couple of years ago
It’s lovely isn’t it? Second time playing it now.. enjoyed it

Shame my driver has been poor. Sending them 50 feet forward along floor

Yesterday barham broom valley course 25 points

Today the barham broom hill course 29 points got so cross at one point but had one bit of good luck to find my ball on 8th and got 3 points on 8 and 9 then 17 on back so felt much better walking off
V-M

Post by V-M »

Playing the Hotchkin course at Woodhall Spa on Friday, ranks as one as the best courses in England. Never played it before but apparently you could lose a double decker in some of the bunkers :shock:

If you dont see a post from me by Saturday evening please send a search party.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Went on Sunday to Wentworth, what a great day that is... Was really studying how the pro's approach the game and how they strike the ball... went out yesterday evening for 9 holes and put into pratice what I saw... played like a completely different person, tee to green was fantastic.

Now I just need to go back and watch what they do on the greens, by which time I would have probably forgot the tee to green part :lol:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Out of interest, what changes did you make?

I have to agree, watching the pros play is something else. I've stood next to the tee and heard this exchange between Darren Clarke and his caddy;

"Slight tailwind, 190 to the pin"

"Nine iron"

He put it five yards past the pin. How? just how?
Row X

Post by Row X »

Basically I saw that most pro's don't try and 'granny' the ball. Also, on approach shots they don't really try and get height on the ball, they were hitting through the ball. For a high handicapper like me (18-20ish), just taking these out on to the course yesterday was an eye opener. I wasn't trying to smash the ball and was going an extra 10 yards anyway.

Yeah, some of the conversations you hear between players and caddies at level are amazing. They're hitting clubs 60-70 yards further than I could ever wish to hit, but they just go 'x yards, right give me x club'... one practice swing... plop straight on the green, no fussing about. They're only really slow when they're around the greens, obviously because every shot is worth £££.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Ah, the old "Swing through the ball, not at it" advice every pro, video and magazine article keeps banging on about. You'd think there was something in it :D
Row X

Post by Row X »

I know, you always think you know better at this stupid game. Then you see it up close and it's like a light bulb moment.

Still, it was also nice to see pro's hit some terrible shots to make you feel better. That being said, their imagination and control out of trouble is something else.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

On a 4 day golf tour of Bournemouth atm

Started with 27 points yesterday at the isle of purbeck .. what a beautiful course. Thank goodness no wind or wouldn’t have scored

Today is Meyrick park. Can’t wait

Tomorrow Queen’s Park

Wednesday ferndown forest

Not bad for £295 including half board in a 4 star hotel
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Playing throughout the winter has really paid off this summer so far.

Took less time than usual to get used to the extra distance in nicer weather and putting has been consistently good (only one 3 put on Saturday).

This is my fifth year playing golf and starting to really enjoy it. I'm still relatively rubbish (best gross score this summer was 21, but consistently shooting 25s since March).

My coach has done a good job of getting me to swing on plane and I definitely agree with those who have mentioned swinging at 80% which actually increases distance due to the naturally cleaner contact.

Had a putting lesson last week which largely centred around which drills to do rather than technique, but paying off already with more consistent power (still hitting it slightly to the left though).
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Day 3 of my tour today

Yesterday got 35 points came second I think but lost a lot of points with pen off the tee

Today different game.. went out in 14.. said just get 30 points.. came back in 23 to claim the win by 2 points with 1 day to go (best 3 of 4 cards) I am leading by 2 points

Got a 27 to drop tomorrow fingers crossed
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

today was the final day of the tour

me and the guy in second place played together.. both scored 19 points going out and were 23 points after 11 holes

finished on the last with him missing the putt for par (and to tie with me overall) so ended up on 34 for the day (myself) and 35 for him.. leaving him one behind in the total

one of the others came in with a huge 39 but could only manage to tie with the guy in second place..

so I won the trip with a total of 106 (34 , 35 , 37) nice trophy on the side now.. and a little trophy aswell for winning the 4 day par 3 challenge.. (pick the easiest par 3 every day and your stableford points get taken each day) I claimed it with 8 points 3 clear of the person in second

hopefully can use this trip to push on my golf.. my chipping was spot on this week.. putting was decent.. just need to get that driving (took 4 hybrid and 5 wood mostly off tee.. and often not well) so off tee is my focus
psychoscoredthelot

played Harpenden Common yesterday on a corporate golf day
its a really nice parkland course
greens were in excellent condition

got 30 points off of 17

sunk a 40 footer from just off the green
V-M

Post by V-M »

36 holes at Stoke Rochford yesterday, lovely course.

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:played Harpenden Common yesterday on a corporate golf day
its a really nice parkland course
greens were in excellent condition

got 30 points off of 17

sunk a 40 footer from just off the green
ive heard good things about that course.. on my to play list

always a good feeling to hole a long putt.. and 40 footer must of felt amazing!
psychoscoredthelot

yeah its a good course mumbles

its even better when its a birdie instead of for a par