Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by jacko »

AJ is lucky he fights in an era where there are no decent heavy weights in the division.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 922 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Perfect finish from AJ...can't argue with that right
Super_Paolo

Post by Super_Paolo »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:As long as the mods don't give me detention

http://www.nhlstream.xyz/2018/09/joshua-vs-povetki.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks again for this, faultless :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

:thup:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Undercard dire, Potvekin five years ago wins but at 39 no chance, basically came down to age and miles on the clock.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Yep seconded...Cheers JBB faultless stream, good finish too !
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Great fight. Really looking forward to seeing if fury vs wilder actually happens and whether he can get himself in any sort of shape. I think he’ll (fury) will end up being a punch bag for wilder, that’s if the fight actually happens. Wouldn’t be surprised if it falls through and Whyte takes one of them on instead and the winner of that will fight AJ next year.
Saying it would have been different 5-10 years ago is irrelevant - it’s like saying West Ham of that time would do X in the league this year.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Georgee Paris wrote: Saying it would have been different 5-10 years ago is irrelevant - it’s like saying West Ham of that time would do X in the league this year.
I agree but I read comments on other forums saying AJ is the best heavyweight of all time.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Has Joshua fought anyone other than a whole load of tailors dummies ?
jacko

Post by jacko »

THe lack of quality heavyweights around is a blessing and a curse for him. Blessing because there doesn't seem to be anyone close to him and a curse because we all know that he hasn't beaten anyone who is top drawer. And before anyone says it, Klitchsko was washed up. It was Fury who tamed him.

That said, AJ finished the fight very well yesterday.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

jacko wrote:I agree but I read comments on other forums saying AJ is the best heavyweight of all time.
Gareth Davies in the Telegraph says AJ is the best in the world. Of course, his opinion can be ignored, what with him knowing absolutely nothing whatsoever about combat sports.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

He is the best in the world. Not even close to GOAT but the most complete combination of size, strength, speed and technique out there at the moment.

Povetkin had a real go and made AJ look poor for a while but as soon as he landed one clean dig it was over. Sickening power in that finish.

I think the main thing he lacks is a bit of belief and aggression
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Puff Daddy wrote:Has Joshua fought anyone other than a whole load of tailors dummies ?
Um, yes...
jacko

Post by jacko »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:
Um, yes...
He hasn't fought anyone decent though, has he? And don't say Klitscho. He was 42 and had been beaten by Fury.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Morocco Mole wrote:He is the best in the world. Not even close to GOAT but the most complete combination of size, strength, speed and technique out there at the moment.

Povetkin had a real go and made AJ look poor for a while but as soon as he landed one clean dig it was over. Sickening power in that finish.

I think the main thing he lacks is a bit of belief and aggression
He's been ducking Wilder. And I think he doesn't fancy Fury because Tyson is a clever boxer. I see him as a flat track bully. Povetkin is just want he wanted. A much smaller, older fighter with a good record. Credit to the Hearn's as they are managing him very well to get as much money as possible.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Fury, Wilder and Joshua if matched against each other you would get some good 50/50 fights where anyone could win. The strong dislike for Fury is clouding many peoples judgement imo. Give that man a serious challenge and opponent to train for, and you’ll see a very different approach from him compared to his two comeback showcases.

It’s crazy to think in 2018 the biggest HW fight of the year won’t involve Anthony Joshua
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

jacko wrote:He hasn't fought anyone decent though, has he? And don't say Klitscho. He was 42 and had been beaten by Fury.
Define decent? I think he's got plenty of decent opponents on his résumé...
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I don't think he's ducking Wilder or anyone else....he just wants to dictate the terms. Mo money and his choice of venue. With four of five belts that's fair enough in my view. What's the rush? Povetkin was mandatory any way wasn't he?

As for Fury, I like him and he's a decent boxer but the only way he can beat either AJ or Wilder is to take them the distance - he's not knocking any one out - and that limits his chances in my opinion.

Joshua is the best of the three and will beat the winner of Fury Wilder next year. Can't make up my mind who that will be. I make Wilder favourite because he only really needs to land one bomb and Fury will go. I wouldn't lump on it though and I hope Fury pulls it off.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I certainly understand the case for Wilder or Joshua KO’ing Fury

Fury though, potentially, will make them load up and miss a lot, resulting in them wasting a lot of energy. He has the handspeed and better footwork too, if he stopped either of them late it wouldn’t come as a huge surprise to me
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think Parker, Derek Chisora or Dillan Whyte would all have a decent chance against Wilder. Not sure what state Fury will be in when they meet but if he can punch his way out of a paper bag I expect him to be too good for Wilder...unless he gets a decent payout...