England Cricket Thread 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: England Cricket Thread 2018

Post by smuts »

Great effort today. If we don't get any more and SL chase that down then fair play to them.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

It’ll be interesting to see how that pitch reacts to the monsoon they had after they went off,

My wish is it got wet and the sun bales it’s in the morning, it’ then cracks like ducked and becomes a minefield to bat on

Alternatively it could kill the spin on it and that will be game over for our boys

Root brilliant , but the way we have attacked and played the spin throughout this tour has been great to watch, considering what they did to the South African test team in that series
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Getting twitchy now, SL batting well, the pitch seems to have stopped spitting and bouncing erratically . Only 128 needed.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

5 down now, good review. Rashid bowling pies again blowing his chance when really needed (hopefully he can grab a wicket between the rubbish)
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

wolf359 wrote:5 down now, good review. Rashid bowling pies again blowing his chance when really needed (hopefully he can grab a wicket between the rubbish)
Not sure you were watching but Rashid bowled beautifully for ten overs.

It was only after he tried mixing it up with an over round the wicket that he got hit for a couple of fours. Not sure why Root took him off straight away, I would have told him to stick with over the wicket as he was in a really good rhythm and causing all sorts of issues.

In fact in the ten overs it was the best I've seen him bowl in test matches. Couple of googlies that turned a mile that Rashan and Matthews couldn't pick.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Centre Half wrote:Not sure you were watching but Rashid bowled beautifully for ten overs.
I've only watched post lunch and thought he was terrible, no control and just leaked runs. He is so fragile, brilliant when his confidence is up but a few bad balls and he seems to mentally crumble.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Big wicket there getting Matthews!

Feel that it’s still Sri Lanka’s to lose but get another now (Dickwella in particular) and I think it swings our way.

Great test cricket.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Leach gets his 4th and they go off for rain, great 15 minutes post tea for England.
aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer »

Wickets do seem to fall in clusters in this match.

Ours to lose now.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Delicately poised....we're in the box seat but it could easily turn the other way as we know their tail can wag.

You have to give us real credit for the way we've batted out there against spin. Hopefully we'll be in good stead to smash that annoying little twat Lyons out the ground come the Ashes.
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

wolf359 wrote:
I've only watched post lunch and thought he was terrible, no control and just leaked runs. He is so fragile, brilliant when his confidence is up but a few bad balls and he seems to mentally crumble.

Rashid has the best economy rate of all the English spinners in this innings 3.05 given if you take away his first over and his last over he only conceded 36 runs in 15 overs his economy rate was 2.33. As Centre Half said he lost it in his last over because he was getting tired he had just bowled unchanged for 17 overs and he went around the wicket to Angelo Matthews and lost his line and bowled two poor deliveries.

His pitch map showed he bowled a good line and a good length he only bowled about 2 bad deliveries in 16 overs, for a leg spinner you aren't going to get much better control than what Rashid showed in his spell after lunch.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Has there ever been a better sport invented than 5 day test match cricket ?

38 wickets fall to spin bowling, the match goes to 5 days and plenty of skill on show.

Series win for England. :thup:
smuts

Post by smuts »

Out twirling SL on their own patch :thup:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

smuts wrote:Out twirling SL on their own patch :thup:
And to think, a year ago we were scratching our heads wondering where the next spin bowler was coming from?

Obviously it'll be different in home conditions. But at least we've discovered some options.

Great effort from everyone.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

the pink palermo wrote:Has there ever been a better sport invented than 5 day test match cricket ?

:
Nope.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I’m with pinky and Tenbury

Greatest form of cricket I’ve never been a limited overs fan

And it’s not often we are involved in dull matches we seem to have nail bites games fluctuating in the balance from side to side , it’s a joy to watch and even when we lose it’s to good cricket and usually a great individual innings or bowling effort

As for this test terrific , and as an old spin bowler , to see England win away from home taking every wicket of a test with spin and hardly using and pace or swing bowlers is a great sight and it makes for intense cricket, and tough umpiring , they both deserve credit this test , to umpire that much spin bowling must be knackering over four to 5 days

But as we spoke on here after the summer series this environment is unique, this is not the balance of team for elsewhere , but the good thing is we now know we have it in our locker , our next series will see at best 2 spinners with Moeen possibly in for his batting freeing up one bowling place and giving us a spin option and at times a 6 man bowling attack, let’s not forget Joe Root broke their first innings partnership with his spin bowling

Interesting times ahead in the superb test cricket format
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Another fan of the 5 day game here.
As said above, test cricket is far and away the best sport of the lot.

As I no longer subscibe to any pay tv channels I don't get to see any live cricket and in this series have had to rely on the BBC website for 'coverage' in the absence of TMS.but even through that 'limiting' medium it's still incredibly exciting and fascinating.
aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer »

aaronhammer wrote: I feel like we need a lead of 250, currently 173 ahead.
I’ll take that prediction I made on Friday morning - SL were out for 243 8-)

Another big fan of Test cricket here, but also a big fan of T20, though ODIs I can take or leave as they are mainly run fests which either become a boring game or a T20 towards the end. I don’t think we should be too negative of any of them, as they all have positives (and negatives), as long as it brings enjoyment watching the wonderful game which is cricket,
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I agree. I'd do away with ODI cricket and just run with T20s & of course tests.

Great story on cricinfo about Leach, last year at Kandy he was left out of the England Lions team after he completely lost his action and it was found to be illegal. Fast forward a year and at the same ground he's taking a 5fer in a test match
steps
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

And to think we were at sea for a decent spin bowler only about 18 months ago. :D