The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

i bought the under armour ones as they fitted the best

really wanted the tour 360s but the 9 was too big and the 8 too tight - no bloody 8.5s
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Only 3 days until first event of season

Got myself new cobra f7 driver in 9.5 with a matching 17.5 5 wood and a 20.5 hyrbid .. had a clear out of a few old clubs to pay for it all

Birthday coming up aswell .. managed to bag matching fairway wood and hybrid West Ham headcovers (seem to be only in stock in the official store now) to go with my driver one I got for Xmas..

Got a new pair of boa shoes coming aswell. Decided to switch entirely to boa during the spike part of the season.. so much better , sold 2 out of 3 pairs of my old nikes. Keeping my old footjoy pairs for the boot for any practice at the 9 hole

Hopefully the lesson a few weeks ago will pay off.. took my carry up to a consistent 200 with a dispersion of 10 yards
psychoscoredthelot

played yesterday hainault lower - thought the course wasnt in too good a condition lots of moss on fairways

played poorly though - bedding in the new irons still

need a couple more lessons with the guy at ingrebourne i think !!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:played yesterday hainault lower - thought the course wasnt in too good a condition lots of moss on fairways

played poorly though - bedding in the new irons still

need a couple more lessons with the guy at ingrebourne i think !!
What the guys like for lessons there?

I do 90% of my range work there but all my lessons at cranfield
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Had a cracking round at the Essex on Saturday. Although we were a two ball stuck behind a few your balls, we went round in 3.45.

Apart from an 8 on a par four, I got 6 pars and the rest bogeys or doubles to shoot 20 over! Very pleased considering I haven't got an official handicap yet but score between 24-28 total most weeks with one or two triple bogeys a round.

I've been working on keeping the hands higher st the top of the backswing whilst not coming round on myself as much. The lessons are really paying off (have been having them for 4 years now every two to three weeks for half an hour so about time!).
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Had a cracking round at the Essex on Saturday. Although we were a two ball stuck behind a few your balls, we went round in 3.45.

Apart from an 8 on a par four, I got 6 pars and the rest bogeys or doubles to shoot 20 over! Very pleased considering I haven't got an official handicap yet but score between 24-28 total most weeks with one or two triple bogeys a round.

I've been working on keeping the hands higher st the top of the backswing whilst not coming round on myself as much. The lessons are really paying off (have been having them for 4 years now every two to three weeks for half an hour so about time!).
A lot of my lower handicap friends always say have a lesson when you need rather than every 3 weeks. Sometimes it takes a few months for a lesson to bed in and click. Took almost a season for me to get comfortable with my swing with the changes the pro did over 4 lessons

Hitting 20 over shows you clearly have ability I’d focus on short game practice to turn that into the teens over

Whenever I go on a lesson (try to do one every 3 months) he is obsessed with me hitting a draw.. when on the course give me a tiny fade that stays on the fairway any day
chelmsfordhammer91

I do think lessons can be a hindrance at times depending who your coach is.

Fortunately, mine tries not to make big changes and has really developed my swing over the last two years or so. Once the foundations were there, it was more tweaking individual parts that eventually do click.

He is priced about right at 120 quid for 5 half hour lessons and has worked with some lower tour players.

I need more course training rather than a swing coach really at this point as I can tee off well and finish well, I really need to get my approach shots more clinical to give me more one putt chances than two putting.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:I do think lessons can be a hindrance at times depending who your coach is.

Fortunately, mine tries not to make big changes and has really developed my swing over the last two years or so. Once the foundations were there, it was more tweaking individual parts that eventually do click.

He is priced about right at 120 quid for 5 half hour lessons and has worked with some lower tour players.

I need more course training rather than a swing coach really at this point as I can tee off well and finish well, I really need to get my approach shots more clinical to give me more one putt chances than two putting.
Does he offer playing lessons? They are brilliant

Can see why you had so many lessons.. brilliant price

Mines £55 an hour or £65 an hour if I want trackman
psychoscoredthelot

mumbles87 wrote: What the guys like for lessons there?

I do 90% of my range work there but all my lessons at cranfield
decent bloke - ball tracking analysis

£25 for half an hour he charged me
chelmsfordhammer91

Yeah as we have known him a few years now and get on well he played a round with me and father in law, bringing his wife.

It was more a social thing so the only real help I got was with a couple of bunker shots.

A few of us are on our annual golf weekend in April but going to Heacham Manor this year. 110 quid for two rounds, a nights hotel, 3 course dinner and buffet breakfast. 18 of us going this year which is a decent turnout to the 12 we usually get.

Although we play stableford for a token trophy/beers, one bloke who 'has had a bad year's saying he is playing off a 50+ handicap! Not sure if that's legit.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Highest "real" handicap you can have is 28, in a previous group we allowed 3 players to play off 36 as they were pretty awful, on one day out one of them won which was lovely for all in fairness as it made our group fairer and stop the usual ones winning.

It's your group, you can do what you want as above, but 50!!! almost 3 shots every hole, that's a bit much innit!!
chelmsfordhammer91

Yeah he is a pensioner so we allow a 36. I was in fourball with him and another bloke who just had both knees replaced, a hip replacement and a ball bladder removal...it took 5 and a half hours and my god were they awful.

I'm not fussed about who wins, as long as they do it honestly. It's a good two days out with people I rarely get the chance to see anymore and a good excuse for a drink!

I've come 2nd last two years though (off 28) so I am hoping to win this year off a 24.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Can play off a handicap of 54 now! :shock:

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news ... ally-mean/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chelmsfordhammer91

That's probably what the old bloke is playing off then. He has played golf for years but when I've played with him he just can't hit the ball further than 80 yards and rarely straight.

I do like stableford but if you ever won on a 54 HC, it just isn't an achievement.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

hessa wrote:Can play off a handicap of 54 now! :shock:

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news ... ally-mean/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:shock:

Imagine winning a medal on a handicap of 54 and you go up to collect your prize....
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Havent they just changed the rules to allow these handicaps? At my club it is/was only the juniors who could have such high numbers. (My lad is 8 and has never set foot on the golf course and has been given 54 as a starting point).

He's got a better swing than me though Image
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

one of my societies has had handicaps up to 40 for about 5 years

the rules keep changing this year its anything over 32 points your cut 0.25 for every 1 shot over.. and get 0.25 back for every shot your under 32.. max back (new rule) is 2.. it sounds weird but it works! dont get proper bandits.. but the only problem I have with the entire system is I strongly believe once you get down to 28 thats it.. and until you get past 27 you shouldnt be able to go up at all.. people start at 40 and until you reach 28 it should be cuts only IMO.. encourages improvement
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

hessa wrote:Can play off a handicap of 54 now! :shock:

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news ... ally-mean/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imagine playing with a 54 hanicapper...

"What did you get there mate?"

"I got a 9"

"Ok. 9. That's 9 for 1... oh f*** off mate how can you score a point for getting a 9! :x "
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Also means ANY gross birdie is worth 6 points Image
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

First event of season at chelsfield lakes in orpington

great morning out... 37 points for myself .. not even 3rd place lol some good golf from everyone

new driver and swing was good.. banging it down the middle

bit gutted a blobbed one hole but hey played same ball all way round