The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by V-M »

When Im tired or lazy I tend to come in 'over the top' which is a big indication of trying to hit it too hard. Usually ends up with a low fade. When I'm fresh and relaxed I hit it so much better with a slight draw, my 7 iron is about 165 but I can lose 10 yards when I try and hit it harder!!
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

V-M wrote:When Im tired or lazy I tend to come in 'over the top' which is a big indication of trying to hit it too hard. Usually ends up with a low fade. When I'm fresh and relaxed I hit it so much better with a slight draw, my 7 iron is about 165 but I can lose 10 yards when I try and hit it harder!!
That’s serious distance , my mate is a long hitter. His typical (game golf tracked) drive is 275 (total that is)

6 iron 185 typical

Insane

I can only dream of that distance lol

Last min invite today to play old fold manor (love that course) at 3pm so a lovely late afternoon round.. somehow the wife said yes

Playing cranham Wednesday early doors

Happy days
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I used to struggle with distance but the last year or so the lessons ha e really paid off.

6 iron is about 185 on a good strike 7 around 145 carry plus some roll.

Got the driver to around 260 carry but hit one Saturday that I know just went over 300 (rolled into the lake at the back of a dog leg left).

The main thing that has contributed to it (connection with the ball aside) is getting the hands forward (nearer left leg at point of impact for right handed golfer). I used to 'cast's bad that my point of impact was hands just about reaching my right leg, which increases loft on the club face and decreases distance.

If you are down the range,just do a 5 out of 10 in terms of speed/power and stay as relaxed with your grip and hands as possible. Just focus on making a clean connection and getting those hands forward.

In terms of coming over the top, practice in front of a mirror and on your back swing get your left arm in line with the ball at the top of your swing, then imagine the club head is touching a wall and keep it touching it as you start your down swing. That sensation is what you need and in tandem with keeping the club on line when the club is parallel to the ground, should stop the club head slicing the ball from right to left, causing a strong right slice.

Hard to explain without showing footage but find which drills suit you and make sure you follow them until the movements aren't forced and become natural.
chelmsfordhammer91

Another drill that helped with with that last part of the downsiwng before point of impact was making sure that if your back swing is your hands crossing over the tips of your toes on your right foot (right handed), that they cross the same path coming down.

Most people have their hands further forward on the down swing at point of impact meaning the shaft is steeper, creating a poor club face connection.

I'm left handed and only used left handed clubs whenever I went down the range as a kid (once or twice a year) but since starting properly around 5 years ago i only had right handed clubs in the garage so play right handed. The movements are so unnatural in a way anyway that it didn't really matter.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Old fold manor this afternoon

Beautiful evening

Started par par

37 points in total

20 going out 17 back

Was striking very nicely
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Drive for show, putt for dough is the saying, and so true. My biggest problem still is around the green, I have to play regularly or my touch/feel just goes.

Driver average about 300yds, but can in the spring summer hit 350 with roll as I tend to draw my driver, 6 iron (favourite go to club) 200yds, 9 iron about 140/150 yards, when my long game is on it I can make the course short ish. I hit longer when relaxed & flowing, but I do have a quick down swing, so when off my game that it where it all goes wrong. I then slow down my swing and lose about 20 or so yards - I usually play like this on new courses as I don't know where the trouble is, or when struggling.

Went out Sunday, started at 7am, it was a glorious morning, my god I was crap the first 9 holes, I felt like I had never picked a club up!!! Everything felt wrong & weird, so you know you then try to overthink it all....we stopped after the 9th for a quick beer, back 9 was more like myself again thankfully.

Play with this older guy at times, he is late 60's, does not hit a long ball, 180/200 yards tops, but his ball is always on the dance floor and he is a demon around the green, plus, what he can do with a 5 wood from anywhere on the course is a joy to watch. He often beats me 1 to 1 on score, & nearly every time on handicap, as I say, drive for show...

Golf, arguably the most frustrating game known to man!!!!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Drive for show, putt for dough is the saying, and so true. My biggest problem still is around the green, I have to play regularly or my touch/feel just goes.

Driver average about 300yds, but can in the spring summer hit 350 with roll as I tend to draw my driver, 6 iron (favourite go to club) 200yds, 9 iron about 140/150 yards, when my long game is on it I can make the course short ish. I hit longer when relaxed & flowing, but I do have a quick down swing, so when off my game that it where it all goes wrong. I then slow down my swing and lose about 20 or so yards - I usually play like this on new courses as I don't know where the trouble is, or when struggling.

Went out Sunday, started at 7am, it was a glorious morning, my god I was crap the first 9 holes, I felt like I had never picked a club up!!! Everything felt wrong & weird, so you know you then try to overthink it all....we stopped after the 9th for a quick beer, back 9 was more like myself again thankfully.

Play with this older guy at times, he is late 60's, does not hit a long ball, 180/200 yards tops, but his ball is always on the dance floor and he is a demon around the green, plus, what he can do with a 5 wood from anywhere on the course is a joy to watch. He often beats me 1 to 1 on score, & nearly every time on handicap, as I say, drive for show...

Golf, arguably the most frustrating game known to man!!!!
Watch mark crossfield video which disproves the age old saying

It’s all about strokes gained

300 yard drives will have you in positions that your missed putts are still pars

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

This article sums it up aswell

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.golf ... roadie/amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chelmsfordhammer91

Crossfield has some really good videos on his channel. The newer stuff is a bit more 'to prove a point' but his old videos are really useful
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Crossfield has some really good videos on his channel. The newer stuff is a bit more 'to prove a point' but his old videos are really useful
Only thing I don’t like about his new videos are the length

His 10 min daily vlogs were much easier to digest
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

mumbles87 wrote:
Watch mark crossfield video which disproves the age old saying

It’s all about strokes gained

300 yard drives will have you in positions that your missed putts are still pars

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will give it a look, ta mumbles, my gut is telling me though that I prove the age old saying...quite alot :lol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

The age old saying though is backed by cliche

Strokes gained is backed by science

Every shot matters is a brilliant book for it

It’s why the pga tour now do strokes gained tee to green

My game golf does strokes gained off tee, approach, short game and putting

If you under 36 putts a round putting isn’t your problem

As in the video , tiger dominated the field for years because he saw a gap in the field.. and dominated distance allowing him to have a wedge in instead of a 6 iron
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

I do enjoy a cranham

07:44 tee off

Finish 10:30 just 2 of us.. didn’t rush

Hit 38 points , 17 out.. 21 back with a blob.. played well on back but scuffed every par 3 tee.. second shot onto green

Lucks in
chelmsfordhammer91

You seem to be playing well mumbles, consistently scoring decent points.

I'm going to heacham manor (north Norfolk coast) for a golf weekend with some family friends/acquaintances.

Just about to set off. Decent enough weather forecast for today but to.orrow's round is due rain and possible thunder.

We do stableford over two rounds, I'm playing off a 26 bit out handicaps range from 36 (for the oldies) down to 4!.

Hoping for around 34 points each round, should get me in the prizes although the winner normally is on around 72+
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

72+ a round????

Mumbles, finding some good consistency, good work. I always find when you start hitting similar points you can then maybe take your game up a notch, as we know, golf is all about confidence and not over thinking it.

My game is still up & down like a whores knickers. Had 2 x 9 holes in the evening this week, one round 4 over with a strong ish wind, other 13 over with a calm evening as you could wish for! Its all a bit pete tong 50 yds into the green presently, touch / feel I'm struggling with, hopefully that will come as I get out more.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Clacton-ammer wrote:72+ a round????

Mumbles, finding some good consistency, good work. I always find when you start hitting similar points you can then maybe take your game up a notch, as we know, golf is all about confidence and not over thinking it.

My game is still up & down like a whores knickers. Had 2 x 9 holes in the evening this week, one round 4 over with a strong ish wind, other 13 over with a calm evening as you could wish for! Its all a bit pete tong 50 yds into the green presently, touch / feel I'm struggling with, hopefully that will come as I get out more.
everyone who knows and has played with me has commented on my improvement in the past 18 months

got myself new clubs for my 30th 2 years ago and got a change of teaching pro.. put a lot of work in..

I have never been any good or sporty in the slightest

I hacked my way round for years.. always sitting on 28.. joined a society that goes above 28 and started to hate when I went up to 31 etc (too long to explain their handicaps) anyways it motivated me to start improving properly. I always played well if I say played 3 days in a row.. by the 3rd I would score well

last year went on a tour with some friends.. 7 of us.. I was 28 handicap.. they were 11,12,7,16,9, 18 handicaps. so decent level.. first day was a write off. 27 points .. hardest course though.. it was best 3 of 4 scores.. it turns out that was my throw away score.. the 3rd round I went out in like 14 points came back in 21 after finding my swing.. 200 plus off tee.. etc etc.. I won the day.. got my first ever cut.. next day I won the overall by 1 point.. last hole .. cut to 26 and had never been more proud. no calls of bandit because I had played with these guys for years so they had seen my struggles.. I still didn't play amazing off the tee first 2 days off tour but was scoring because of my handicap

that was last june.. Ive got down from 31 in that society to 27 by end of that season.. im off 26 in there now.. socially I play off 26... because im finally not ashamed to admit im not amazing but I play well when I find my swing..

this week starting Par par at old fold you can imagine at my handicap that's even more impressive

my aim is to be 24 by end of season , long term aim is 18 .. I know people will see that as low ambition but with a replaced ACL, plantia in both feet..an elbow that doesn't straighten due to a break years ago.. and just being a fat bugger lol I would be proud..

that's why I always think I can play to about that level because when I find my swing I score cracking.. I played with a mate one summer and scored a 90 at a course id never played.. was driving down the middle.. saving pars out of no where.. couple of blow ups.. but I always struggled breaking the ton so to almost break 90 I was amazed.

I now play to enjoy and my scores have come down as a result.

lets see if I can compete well in the tour this year.. only 2 days.. princes.. should be tough

btw I realize this post as turned into an essay so if anyone actually has read all this hats off to you lol

quick edit.. found my sum up post about the tour last year

"so I won the trip with a total of 106 (34 , 35 , 37) nice trophy on the side now.. and a little trophy aswell for winning the 4 day par 3 challenge.. (pick the easiest par 3 every day and your stableford points get taken each day) I claimed it with 8 points 3 clear of the person in second

hopefully can use this trip to push on my golf.. my chipping was spot on this week.. putting was decent.. just need to get that driving (took 4 hybrid and 5 wood mostly off tee.. and often not well) so off tee is my focus"

certainly tee still the focus.. and certainly kicking on..
Last edited by mumbles87 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

:thup:

Having a target is a good thing if it suits your brain patterns/thinking, some people not so much. 18 with the amount of golf you play and improvements you have already seen appears to be achievable from what you write, even with a few injuries as your swing will adjust, you are making great progress :thup: First time you hit your 18 handicap you will feel 18ft tall!

I am a very target orientated person in all aspects of my life, I wish at times I wasn't (I am trying to change in some areas).

Golf at our level should be about enjoying the fresh air/mates/course etc, something I annoyingly forget far too much at times when I see my ball go the wrong way off the club....

Interesting what you say about 3rd day straight you play better golf, I am the opposite usually as I get bored, love the frustrating b*stard of a game but I do get bored and then think I am seve and start trying things I do not have the skill set for...
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Clacton-ammer wrote::thup:

Having a target is a good thing if it suits your brain patterns/thinking, some people not so much. 18 with the amount of golf you play and improvements you have already seen appears to be achievable from what you write, even with a few injuries as your swing will adjust, you are making great progress :thup: First time you hit your 18 handicap you will feel 18ft tall!

I am a very target orientated person in all aspects of my life, I wish at times I wasn't (I am trying to change in some areas).

Golf at our level should be about enjoying the fresh air/mates/course etc, something I annoyingly forget far too much at times when I see my ball go the wrong way off the club....

Interesting what you say about 3rd day straight you play better golf, I am the opposite usually as I get bored, love the frustrating b*stard of a game but I do get bored and then think I am seve and start trying things I do not have the skill set for...
I think because by day 3 my driver will start to behave and that's it I score well

my irons and wedges are normally decent.. putter is getting so hot right now

cranham Wednesday it was actually the irons that let me down.. but the most well timed shank ever got me the points.

18th hole.. 6 iron.. ive struggled to get on green recently due to either going off the back of being tired and coming up short.. wind picked up... shank plus wind.. so far right it missed the water.. 50 yard chip on.. 2 putt.. happy days
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

played langdon hills the other week - thats a really decent course but nothin was sticking on the green

played 27 holes over there - thought i had lost my phone on the middle 9 so game went out of the window a bit but then spoke to the wife from my mates phone and she said it was on the kitchen side so played much better on the final 9

shot of the round was a wedge from a bunker 107 yards out and left it 8 foot from the pin
chelmsfordhammer91

After round one I am winning!.

40 points off a 26 handicap (was 22 over par with a triple bogey and quadruple bogey, 4 pars).

Second is on 35 points (4 handicapper so I feel a bit bad), third is my father in law on 29 (28 handicapper).

Due to get rain and strong wind all day tomorrow but hoping to get around 30+ points for a win and a keg of beer!

Heacham is a decent course. Quite flat but rolling a lot. No real rough apart from holes with lakes. Plays like a links course but not that sandy.

Wish me luck, 9.30am tee off tomorrow
Just heading off for dinner!