The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Rory's playing like me at the moment
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Beautiful weather today over stock brook manor

Had a lesson Monday and we changed the take away so was a bit wild at times until I started to get used to it

Managed to scrape together 27 hard earned points (including a chip in for one and a couple of bogeys after going in water)

2 complete blow up holes which one was a shame because I’d just creamed my best drive of the day straight down the middle only leaving 160 in.. pushed the approach just but ball hit a path and got speed into a hedge never to be seen again

However it was enough to win the day on countback

Happy days
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Well done :thup:

Swing changes are always a bugger to get used to, especially when you're not sure how far it will go and there's water in the way :cry:

I bought one of those Swing Caddie launch monitors off ebay (SC200) last week (I love a gadget). I haven't used it on the range yet, just in the garden with foam balls but it still shows my swing speed, together with a meaningless (because they're only made of foam) carry, ball speed and 'smash factor'. Very revealing. 7i is around 60-64mph (my usual carry is around 140), so I got out my old TM V-steel 7w expecting nearer 70mph because of the longer length. 56-60mph is all I could muster, presumably because the heavier head and longer shaft make it harder to accelerate. A range session is in the offing.

PS. You may want to look at the How do you picture other posters thread, particularly page 6 :wink:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

mumbles87 wrote:Beautiful weather today over stock brook manor

Had a lesson Monday and we changed the take away so was a bit wild at times until I started to get used to it

Managed to scrape together 27 hard earned points (including a chip in for one and a couple of bogeys after going in water)

2 complete blow up holes which one was a shame because I’d just creamed my best drive of the day straight down the middle only leaving 160 in.. pushed the approach just but ball hit a path and got speed into a hedge never to be seen again

However it was enough to win the day on countback

Happy days
you havent played for a week - thought you had died
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Well done :thup:

Swing changes are always a bugger to get used to, especially when you're not sure how far it will go and there's water in the way :cry:

I bought one of those Swing Caddie launch monitors off ebay (SC200) last week (I love a gadget). I haven't used it on the range yet, just in the garden with foam balls but it still shows my swing speed, together with a meaningless (because they're only made of foam) carry, ball speed and 'smash factor'. Very revealing. 7i is around 60-64mph (my usual carry is around 140), so I got out my old TM V-steel 7w expecting nearer 70mph because of the longer length. 56-60mph is all I could muster, presumably because the heavier head and longer shaft make it harder to accelerate. A range session is in the offing.

PS. You may want to look at the How do you picture other posters thread, particularly page 6 :wink:
Far too much hair lol love the trousers tho

psychoscoredthelot

Not playing until 5th June now! Feels like I’m dead lol

However from 9th until 13th I’m on a little golf trip so I should feel revitalised lol
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Playing the Hotchkin Course at Woodhall Spa today.

Looks like a beast. Restricted to handicaps of 24 and lower.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Good luck VM, it sounds like a proper challenge.
I have an overnight stay at Sussex East National tomororow, playing both the West & East courses. Looks good, anyone else played there?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hessa wrote:Good luck VM, it sounds like a proper challenge.
I have an overnight stay at Sussex East National tomororow, playing both the West & East courses. Looks good, anyone else played there?
Not yet, got a 2 day trip there coming up in couple weeks. 54 holes in 2 days

Suppose to be nice I heard tho
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

V-M wrote:Playing the Hotchkin Course at Woodhall Spa today.

Looks like a beast. Restricted to handicaps of 24 and lower.
Well, Ive never seen (or been in) so many bunkers in my life. Had a horrid front 9 but picked it up a bit after the turn and finished the last 5 holes in one under gross. 30 points which I'm reasonably happy with although that included 4 blobs.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

hessa wrote:Good luck VM, it sounds like a proper challenge.
mumbles87 wrote:
Not yet, got a 2 day trip there coming up in couple weeks. 54 holes in 2 days

Suppose to be nice I heard tho
Had a good stay at Sussex National. Thought the golf was slightly disapponting. The greens were pretty wooly and slow. Though, I guess that is as they want to keep the pace of play up and keep people moving. The courses were nice enough, preferred the East I think. Played West course first day and got 32 points and 30 points on the East the following day, so not great golf, but respectable enough.
Enjoy your stay there Mumbles :thup:
psychoscoredthelot

playing maylands tomorrow

went to the range last night and was hitting well - decent range at ingrebourne they have computer screens and you can see how far it goes.

212 yrds with a 4 iron if youre interested
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:playing maylands tomorrow

went to the range last night and was hitting well - decent range at ingrebourne they have computer screens and you can see how far it goes.

212 yrds with a 4 iron if youre interested

Did you download the app? So you can just scan the code and auto log in

Works at many ranges including moby golf range.. and you can track your stats of “what’s in the bag” / “longest drive”
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Just back from a 10 day break in Charlotte, N Carolina. I took my clubs as I planned to play a least a couple of rounds out there. I played at a resort course called Ballantyne which was nice, teed off just after 7am, got round in under 4 hours, played off the whites and scored 36 points off my 11 handicap including a couple of birdies so was well pleased with that. The next day I played at Carmel Country Club. That course was really nice. The fairways were like carpets, the greens were quicker than I'm used to but the mate I played with said they were a touch on the slow side. Complimentary range balls as well. Again, I played off the whites but didn't play as well due mainly to the heat (we teed off just after 8 but by 10 it was already pushing 90). scored 29 points (17 on the front and 12 on the back).

As is typical with most courses I have played in the US, you are well looked after from the moment you pull up at the bag drop and check in. At Ballantyne, the ice boxes on the buggies were a real godsend and there was even a guy driving round giving out iced towels to try to keep you cool. At Carmel there was free sunscreen in the locker room and there were plenty of refill stations for water and ice on the way round and most greens had massive fans blasting out cool air giving some welcome relief to the heat.

If your ever in that area of the world there are some wonderful courses to play, especially if you don't mind a bit of additional travel.
psychoscoredthelot

mumbles87 wrote:

Did you download the app? So you can just scan the code and auto log in

Works at many ranges including moby golf range.. and you can track your stats of “what’s in the bag” / “longest drive”
i didnt mate as i didnt know about it - but i will now
psychoscoredthelot

played maylands saturday and had the round of my life. i shot 83, 12 over par (i play off 18)

chipped in from 92 yards for a birdie, 7 pars no blobs

beat my mate by 4 & 3 on matchplay and he usually beats me every week

he then bought me a curry and we watched spurs get beat.

If Calrsberg did weekends !!!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:played maylands saturday and had the round of my life. i shot 83, 12 over par (i play off 18)

chipped in from 92 yards for a birdie, 7 pars no blobs

beat my mate by 4 & 3 on matchplay and he usually beats me every week

he then bought me a curry and we watched spurs get beat.

If Calrsberg did weekends !!!
that sounds like one of the perfect weekends!!!!

I go away sunday for a 5 day golf trip... rain forecast all week.. if west ham did weeks away... lol
psychoscoredthelot

got a mate over from HK and one from OZ - gonna play maylands again Sundady and hope i can repeat it
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

After a week of nights finally back on the course

cranham today

36 points... 17 out with a blob and 19 back

was tougher today as the greens were so rock hard.. couple times my perfectly judged shot (which landed near the flag) bounced off the back..

3 putted a few times as if you missed hole the ball just carried on forever

made it fun! golf is all about challenges

some cracking drives aswell

started well.. straight down the middle carrying the bunker I normally end up by the side of
psychoscoredthelot

the greens at cranham are rapid
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:the greens at cranham are rapid