UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Re: UFC

Post by S-H »

DasNutNock wrote:Conor was looking for an out.
Yep.

Pussy.

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Dan

as stated we're no experts but have experts on here .....didn't look too bad from where I sat, McGregor looked knackered and looking for a reason to give up.

commentators immediately afterward said similar..although to the layman (me) i had to agree.....

whether or not Dana White or Joe Rogan want to put something else on it that's their shout. Bisping said it wasn't a tap out move and his opinion is one I would rather listen to, as he doesn't have a dog in the fight.

people will pay for a rematch for sure.

2 years out of the ring is hard in terms of boxing circles. in terms of an MMA fight where feet, fists and elbows come into it and literally someone wanting to tear your head off is quite something else.

that's too long gone imvho. and of course McGregor is a master at selling a fight. he does have charisma and enough fans to be able to sell out another fight but (and if course I include me) wondering if it will go McGregor's way in order to sell a third always comes into my mind.

I doubt whether Khabib would have anything to do with an underhanded fight decision but of course when loads of us are left scratching our collective heads over fight decisions either in boxing or MMA is quite another matter.

especially in Vegas.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Just watching the fight for the first time. Two rounds done. I know nothing about MMA or any martial art, but after the first 2 rounds, apart from the fact that Conor is box office, I don't see why there should be a rematch. He's getting a bonafide whipping.

I did like this exchange between the announcer and rogan. Announcer, " why isn't McGregor trying to get up?" Rogan, "because he's exhausted and he's getting his face punched in," I mean, that's pretty much what I'm seeing with untrained eyes.

3rd rd they're trading punches which apparently is McGregor's strength. Khabib's dishing as well as he's receiving.

4th rd. Just doesn't look like this was a very even fight either on their feet or on the ground. Seems to me that any rematch would just be to capitalize on the circus aspects.
Last edited by WCpete on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

yeah Pete..

sums it up in layman's terms..

what I saw..watch a lot but far from being anything like an expert....
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Khabib had 2 years out after he beat RDA. Didn’t come back to challenge for a title, granted, but there’s a few fighters who made comebacks after a big out. Also, Conor wasn’t injured, he was just being a flash prick during his time off.

Conor wasn’t at the top of his game on Saturday, but I’m not sure even his best is good enough to beat Khabib - maybe a 1 in 5 chance. Pressure grapplers with good trips and waist control are a nightmare for a boxer, even one as accomplished as McGregor.

Whichever way you look at it, Nurmagomedov is an utter savage, and there won’t be too many people genuinely fancying their chances against him.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Just listened to a Joe Rogan podcast, a fight recap from a week or so ago, his guest Brendan Schaub (ex fighter) claims to have heard that Khabib wanted to beat the UFC poster boy (McGregor) and then get out of the game, retire on top.

If true, it may go someway to explain his behaviour post fight, guess we will know soon enough.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I've got a feeling Brendan Schaub also predicted there would be some trouble post-fight as well and for that reason, didn't attend. (IIRC)
S-H

Post by S-H »

Patito wrote:I've got a feeling Brendan Schaub also predicted there would be some trouble post-fight as well and for that reason, didn't attend. (IIRC)
He did, indeed.
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

McGregor has so much PPV pull that he will get his rematch if he wants to fight again. I wonder what that means for Ferguson.

Also how the hell is Derrick Lewis fighting for the title in New York in less than 4 weeks after he lost every minute of every round until the last 15 seconds of his fight. Stipe must be considering going to Bellator after that news.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

because Lewis can pull in the fans....

Volkov was so stupid - he won the fight. all he had to do was keep away and jab...

I think Lewis has done this on more than one occasion that I have seen.........

not fair really........but as they say "puts bums on seats."
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Well Khabib has come out swinging

DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Khabib > Dana.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Anyone seen the footage of Khabib talking to Conor whilst smashing him on the ground.

"Talk"
"Come on, let's talk now"
"Talk!"

Ref separates them for the end of the round & Conor mutters "It's only business". What an utter pussy. A nasty little bully who looked for an easy exit when a truly principled man, and a far better fighter, stood up to him and took him to the cleaners.

What Dana and the Yanks don't understand is that there's only 2 things that matter to Khabib - family and faith. They can fire him, take his belt and keep his money, and he won't bat an eyelid. The UFC were happy to let Conor trash and besmirch the two things that matter to Khabib and they are now reaping exactly what was sown.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

I think Dana understands. He just doesn't care. He wants $$ and that's about it. That's the problem with combat & pugilist sports. Money is the only thing that matters.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

WCpete wrote:I think Dana understands. He just doesn't care. He wants $$ and that's about it. That's the problem with combat & pugilist sports. Money is the only thing that matters.
Dana knows that Conor vs Khabib 2 would sell in completely unprecedented numbers. Khabib just doesn't give a f*ck about the UFC.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Lots of Americans on Sherdog utterly unable to comprehend that the world doesn't revolve around money for everyone.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

WCpete wrote:I think Dana understands. He just doesn't care. He wants $$ and that's about it. That's the problem with combat & pugilist sports. Money is the only thing that matters.
It's typically what's wrong with America in general, they believe that they make the rules and can change them or break them as they wish. Just look at their attitude to the UN or the ICCt and international law and conventions in general and the same thing is now occurring with the UFC.
Dana White should have seen this coming but I guess good living and power has had him behaving like an arrogant dick for too long. Should the UFC stick to this attitude of "it's my ball" and I make the rules other organisations will just entice the best fighters away and take them on. Good on Khabib in my opinion.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Dana doesn't own UFC any more does he ?

William Morris Endeavor - It also represents the NFL and NHL.[3] WME also owns the Ultimate Fighting Championship[4] and Miss Universe. The company is run by Co-CEOs Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell.

And to be honest no one is going anywhere else...it's pretty much the only game in town..

Bellator is second fiddle really.....

They'll replace Khabib and McGregor and still exist...there are loads of good fighters in it, these are the bigger high profile ones...

They've managed well with women since Rousey left......

not sticking up for them at all, just being practical...............
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bellator is much more than second fiddle. Like it or not, the UFC is far from the only gig in town, and they’ve been treating their roster very shabbily in recent years, especially since the Reebok deal came about.

If one or two of their champions jumped ship, which wouldn’t be completely unheard of, Bellator could well make an even bigger dent in the UFCs hegemony.

WMMA is dying on its arse. It’s only the vaguely marketable (I.e. hot) women fighters that draw any PPVs.
S-H

Post by S-H »

They moved on from, Royce Gracie, Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell, they've moved on from Randy Couture, and Matt Hughes, as Cuenca says they will move on from McGregor and Khabib, fighters come and go the UFC will remain.

Dana is a **** though, and the fact that he'd rather lose a proper class fighter in Khabib and continue to suck off a show pony like McGregor, says it all really.

I prefer the days of Ortiz and Liddell..