UFC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

PeterParkersGlasses

Re: UFC

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

nickkarkie wrote:Dominick Cruz v TJ Dillashaw this weekend, should be a great battle.
Dominator by decision for me.

Decent card this weekend; Pettis returning after getting a kicking by RDA in his last fight, England's Ross Pearson, and the above mentioned. Actually it's probably a better card overall than the Lawler vs Condit card.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Mcgregor v Diaz should be a battle at 170 lbs.
PeterParkersGlasses

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

It's a shame Dos Anjos has a broken toenail or whatever he's got, that would've been such a massive fight. This fight, although it's gonna be two guys throwing hands, is just not as interesting. I must say the drama will be entertaining though!

It also kind of ruins any momentum or direction Conor had. He'd clearly drawn a pathway to go and do whatever it was he was planning on doing (maybe fight Lawler at UFC 200), but this kind of throws a spanner in the works. Does he go down and defend at 145, does he stay up at 170, or does he try and dig out the 155 stuck-in-the-muds?

Conor by second round tko
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

I think if he beats diaz he will take on Lawler, Diaz could be awkward for him as he is very tall for his weight and has decent stand up, Diaz usually struggles with wrestlers but conor doesn't fight like that so it should be a stand up battle. I'm looking forward to it more than the RDA fight tbh
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

I think Diaz has a decent chance. Don't see him as a anywhere near favourite but can see him giving Macgregor problems

See Macgregor on TV saying that Dos Anjos broke his vagina at the same time he did his foot.

He is a bit of knob but he's quite funny
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Anderson/Bisping what a fight.

Silva shoulda won tbh, even Dana white said Silva 3-2.

Ending was pretty controversial :lol:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

That was a wild one! Bisping flooring him and then being KO'd at the bell and allowed to carry on. Great fight.

The Notorious will squash Diaz, I think this is very apparent. It's not getting past 2, and I'll be surprised if it goes past 1. People were raving about Diaz' comeback fight but even in that it's just clear that his skill level is too basic for McGregor. If they stand up and fight, it will be over quick. And to be honest, Diaz has too much pride to do it any other way.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

One round starching. Possibly 2nd if Diaz shows some toughness and hangs in there.
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Looking forward to it now, lost interest when Dos Anjos pulled out!

Couldn't care less for Holm's fight though, she bores me, despite being a complete bitch i felt the need to watch Rousey's fights.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Great fight and just shows like I said that Mcgregor is no good on the ground but thats not what cost him. He was fighting so well and then one straight left from diaz just completely ****ed him, his eyes just went back and he could hardly defend himself, people were underestimating diaz but he has a great chin and submissions
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

nickkarkie wrote:Great fight and just shows like I said that Mcgregor is no good on the ground but thats not what cost him. He was fighting so well and then one straight left from diaz just completely ****ed him, his eyes just went back and he could hardly defend himself, people were underestimating diaz but he has a great chin and submissions
Yep he got rocked, he had no idea where he was when he got clipped. The submission was a formality after that. Almost surreal watching McGregor staggering around.

Humble in defeat as he always said he would be, but he's going to take a ton of grief for this from everyone, considering how much he talks.

Annoying because he was owning Diaz until he got hit.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

nickkarkie wrote:Great fight and just shows like I said that Mcgregor is no good on the ground but thats not what cost him. He was fighting so well and then one straight left from diaz just completely ****ed him, his eyes just went back and he could hardly defend himself, people were underestimating diaz but he has a great chin and submissions
Not me bro :wink:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Yep he got rocked, he had no idea where he was when he got clipped. The submission was a formality after that. Almost surreal watching McGregor staggering around.

Humble in defeat as he always said he would be, but he's going to take a ton of grief for this from everyone, considering how much he talks.

Annoying because he was owning Diaz until he got hit.
Not in my opinion, he's always been overrated. Other than Aldo he's never really beaten anyone of note and Aldo's head was long gone before he ever set foot in the octagon.

Then gets beaten by Diaz. A good fighter but not what I'd call a top top welter.

Having said all of that, this won't exactly end his career and it's just one loss at the end of the day.

Just funnier than usual for all of the **** he talks pre fight, to then get ironed out at his own game.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

When I say surreal, only in the sense of the myth he has built for himself. Of course everyone knows that one fighter will eventually be another's career highlight. The games too volatile for it to be any other way.

Mendes is a great fighter, no doubt about it. And regardless of the ultimate quality of the other FWs, the knockout rate speaks volumes about McGregor's ability as a fighter.

What we saw here, imo, is Conor either buying into his own hype too much or genuinely thinking that he can go up two weight divisions and conquer it. Either way, it's proven itself a bridge too far. In some ways, it's impressive that Conor was able to light up Nate's face like that through first round and into the second. But he just didn't really hurt him. The power isn't the same when you step up like that and for sure what isn't the same is the speed. He looked desperately slow out there in comparison to 145 Conor. Pair that with the insane Diaz toughness and it rattled him when he realised he wasn't going to be able to keep that up. He was fatiguing hard, didn't carry the weight well. Diaz rocks him once and it was obvious his head was all over the place.

Thankfully it wasn't Lawler or Wonderboy in there with him, because he would've been destroyed.

It takes away from the mystique, no doubt, because he now doesn't have that transcendental aura about him. But make no mistake, he is an all-time great featherweight. And I imagine he'll go on to cement that against Edgar and Aldo again.
wozz

Post by wozz »

hats off to both of them for fighting alough diaz isnt a top contender of late he took the fight at short notice and mcgregor went along with it and the change of weight.

all of this he went up two weights is that actually true? they thought at a weight that is two higher but is that simply becuase diaz wasnt in training for his fight weight?

It was good to see him fighting someone of the same size, i thought he done ok but never really threatened diaz who would have continued like that all night. the diaz interview in the ring was hilarious.

Shame holm lost still looking forward to seeing holm fight again.
inter me nan

Post by inter me nan »

The Aldo win was the best and worst thing that coulda happened to a guy so full of himself as mcregor.
Obviously it propelled him to superstardom , but the trouble is he forgot that it's all an imposter ( like Kipling said ) he must of felt he was invincible , he was trying to do some Hollywood spinning back kicks and was goading Diaz during the fight.....then got undone by a simple one two straight down the pipe , which rocked him back on his heels, he never recovered from that, he rallied and got caught again.....his instincts told him it was over and he shot in for the takedown.....bad move .
The rest is history....no real harm done , he will come again and this is a great lesson for him and anyone else watching.
No shame in losing, but he didn't fight wise....I'm not a big fan of floyd but , I'll readily admit he is the boss at fighting smart.....Conor was saying he would like to fight floyd, I don't think he should be entertains such thoughts .
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Diaz pointed it out after the fight that once he hurts them with his boxing they then choose one of two options, stay on their feet and get knocked out or go to ground where he knows he will submit them, mcgregor went for the leg as he knew he was gone
inter me nan

Post by inter me nan »

^^^^^ correctamundo ^^^^
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Great fight and may end up being a blessing in disguise for McGregor. Firstly I don't think he should be stepping up that heavy. He's a small bloke and didn't even look close to 170 to me. Secondly, he's so loose in the way he fights (those soppy spin kicks :fsake: ) that spills into overconfidence far too easily. He saw a bit of claret on Diaz and thought it was done but that fella's tough as old boots and was more dangerous hurt. Big lesson and one he should learn from. Hope he does because whether you like him or not he's been good for the sport.

In fact he could learn a lot from Meisha Tate. That was a terrific, measured performance by her in beating Holm. Cracking norks on it an'all.